What do you wear and how do you like it?

Traxx

Premier Member
I will start this off.
I look in my closet and it is split between Klim and Triumph gear with a couple of BMW pants.
Triumph Taloc leathers, Jacket and Pants that zip together. Waterproof and warm even without the thermal liner, some ventilation and looks good. I wear these in cooler weather and for longer distances.
Triumph Assen Jacket. Much lighter than the Taloc and cooler. Has a liner that is supposed to keep your temp stable. Not hot, not cold but it does have its limits. In the summer I leave the liner home.
Just received a pair of Triumph Navigator Pants, haven't had time to try them out yet. They are more ADV/touring than what I already have. Waterproof, and a thermal liner so I will test them out soon.
Klim Latitude jacket. Waterproof and ADV style. It usually just sits in my closet. I pull it out if I am expecting really poor weather. I will be replacing it with a Triumph Navigator Jacket.
Klim Apex Air jacket. My go to jacket for the 3 warmer season for around town and short trips. If it had some waterproofing built into it then I most likely not have even looked for another jacket.
Klim Outrider pants. Go to pants. They fit my personal style and I just like the way they fit.
Klim Torrant overpant. Just got these and haven't had them in a good rain yet. I keep them in the panniers just in case.
BMW Summer Pants. Legs zip off and are pretty comfortable. Great for summer short rides.
If you have any questions please ask and put up some of your gear and give it a quick review.

Bill Lumberg

Premier Member
Aerostich Dariens when it’s cool or wet. Firstgear mesh for distance in the heat. Not much besides a helmet otherwise. Nolan modular helmets. Danner Acadia boots.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Ten year old Rukka armas laminated suit with thermal liner never been wet or cold good winter kit
also BMW rallye suit detachable gor-tex liner rode two hundred miles in heavy rain kept dry good ventilation on jacket and trousers but because of the multiple zips and vents it's not wind proof therefor summer use only.
Alt-Berg hoggs lace up gor-tex lined dual purpose boots all day comfortable on the bike and for walking
also Daytona road star boots as a second pair.
Shoei Neotec 2 + blue tooth quiet comfortable ventilation is not too good with a screen as the aerodynamics are very good too warm on a hot day
For warm weather a Schuberth M1 open face built in microphones and speakers for blue tooth system.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
'Stitch one piece, 'Stitch two piece & BMW City suit two-piece, depends on the what, where, how I plan to ride. BMW suit is rarely worn because the one I have is very old and is more to keep me warm in cooler weather than to offer protection. Helmets are Schuberth C3 & a couple of Shoei Syncrotechs.

All comfortable and like what I have.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Darien and AD-1 pants with Aerostich Combat Touring boots. The boots are not water proof but I Niki wax them and they have kept my feet dry in some pretty heavy rains. Shoei helmet. Don't forget the LDComforts.

Traxx

Premier Member
A couple weeks late buttttt. Okay, so I have a few hundred miles on the Triumph Navigator suit. Cool weather only, approx 50 +- 10 degrees F. I have the zip in liner in the jacket and pants. I stayed warm on the Trophy SE, granted it has a lot, a lot more wind protection than the Tiger Explorer. After about a hour of 75 + mph I did get a cool spot on the sides. I could have layered up better but I didn't. Since it was a quick run to the Ranchito and back I didn't use the pockets or any of the other goodies.
I did also try to make it with my favorite summer gloves (Klim Induction) but had to pull over and switch to the Dainese X-travel and boy ohhh boy did they calinentito mi manos up. Granted a little slow to put on with the under and over layer. Part of that was the interaction of the liner in the jacket not allowing much room to get the liner under the cuff. The other part is trying to manipulate the glove with the other glove on, though I can see that happening with any of that style of gauntlet.

For the last decade or so I've been using an Aerostich Darien Jacket with a Roadcrafter classic pants (with the bib attachments). I wear combat lite boots and use their various gloves. I also wear a Shoei Neotec 1 and 2.

I've tried Klim gear, among others and for long distance comfort I keep returning to my Aerostich stuff.

Ride safe all!

<D>

Jeez I didn’t even get my first sentence crafted before I screwed up and froze my screen and was rendered unable to apologize in advance for rookie mistakes. Not only am I new to this forum but I am new to this form of communication in general. So if it’s not too stale or closed I’d love to chime in. After many years and many miles of enjoying the sport with limited funds I found myself dedicating my money to the best machine I could afford and getting by with whatever combination of street, work, hunting, disco (not!), clothing I could cobble together for my low tech riding apparel. The pure joy of being on a great machine would offset much of the misery my clothing or lack thereof would allow to reach my skin. But as we all know there are limits to the R-factor that chrome and rubber afford a rider. For the life of me I still can’t figure why the new Suzuki RE-5’s rotary Wankle or cylindrical gauge pod wouldn’t keep me dry in the Blue Ridge Mountains! Fast forward 40 plus years and I find myself perplexed by the endless options for staying dry, warm and safe. I’ve learned that my preference is to make no attempt to have one system do it all but rather choose my gear based on seasons and locations. Obviously, that would be naive thinking for the IBR and longer tours. Under those diverse conditions I’d have to cast my vote for Aerostich Darian jacket and pants with their wind stopper fleece pant liners and jacket. I pack electrics for hands and core but seldom find the need for them. If I were ever able to build up to the kind of epic rides you guys string together I fear my electrics would not only get a work out but they’d be getting company in the form of electric socks and heated pant liners! I look forward to learning more by reading your very entertaining posts. PS Anybody in the market for an unlined Army field jacket and WHS track sweatshirt with matching Woolco unlined work glove...yes, singular.

Baxter

I have two textile Castle jackets, their riding pants, and a pair of their summer gloves, and an LS2 Strobe modular helmet. Castle is a very small company from Green Bay, Wisconsin, but their stuff is made in China. These items were inexpensive as I buy stuff on end of season clearances. The exact items are no longer available, but I'll make a brief report on the brand since updated versions are around. I also have a set of Frog-Togs.

The winter weight jacket is 3/4 length, with a removable quilted insulated liner and a slightly rubberized waterproof permanent lining. It has convenient pockets and certified armor, and has adjustment straps at the waist, cuffs and arms. There are zippered air vents. It also has a dark but highly reflective thin stripe. It has an easy to use zipper on the inside bottom back to connect to the pants. Altogether, it has held up well over the years--approximately 7 now. The liner and a sweatshirt (with the riding pants, appropriate gloves etc.) have been all that I have needed in colder conditions--above the snowline in the Rockies or just another day riding in North Dakota (well, I exaggerate, typical April and November in North Dakota).

The summer jacket is the usual short length, it has a removable rainproof windbreaker liner, and also plenty of pockets, but not as many as the winter jacket. Again, certified armor and a zipper to connect to the pants, and an adjustable waist and cuffs. It flows a lot of air at speed, and I feel comfortably cool with the jacket & riding pants, with jeans and a tee-shirt underneath, until about 95F. It has also held up well over the years, approximately 9.

The riding pants have a permanent waterproof lining similar to the winter jacket, with zippered vents, certified armor, and the pants easily zip to either jacket. There are convenient pockets and adjustments. The removable quilted liner works well. I've been a little surprised that the waterproofing doesn't keep my legs too hot in summer. The summer jacket without the liner, and the pants without the liner, together with a tee-shirt and jeans doesn't get too hot when moving until the upper 90's F. Again, the pants seem to have held up well over the years, like the summer jacket, about 9 years now. One negative is that the side leg zippers don't open up completely, but have a waterproof gusset that doesn't seem to be wide enough to allow me to put the riding pants on over my boots--so I still have to take the boots on and off to change out of these pants.

Fit: both jackets are mediums. I take a 38 short in a suitcoat, and find that I can get enough adjustment in the jackets for them to fit comfortably. The pants are also mediums, I wish they were about an inch less in length and an inch more at the waist, my jeans size is 32 x 32. Maybe a small would have fit better in length but it would have been too narrow in the waist. Maybe they weren't intended to be worn over jeans with a belt? Maybe my doctor is right and I should loose ten pounds?

It's a bit fiddly to remove the armor, but it goes in and out of Velcro'd pockets in the lining reasonably enough. The jackets & pants are easy to keep clean with a damp rag. I machine wash and hang dry them at the end of each riding season, and the black winter jacket & pants haven't faded, nor has the red on my summer jacket turned to pink. So I'm happy with that.

I seem to wear out summer gloves every 2 or 3 seasons. The last time I needed summer gloves, the matching Castle brand was on sale again. Honestly, I didn't plan on being so matchy-matchy. The Castle summer gloves fit well, wash up well, and are comfortable all day. They are not waterproof, and even in summer, wet gloves at speed can be cold. That's why I find myself using heated grips all year long. (My winter gloves are insulated and waterproof, but a brand that appears to have been discontinued.)

I bought these at end of year clearances, and I think each jacket was around $50 to $70, with the pants also around there. They have held up well, and I am certainly pleased by these purchases. When it's time to replace them, I may give a look around at the more expensive brands just to see if fit & features are better. But since they seem to be doing the job comfortably, I might just go back to Castle again.

My wife gave me an LS2 Strobe modular helmet for Christmas two years ago. https://ls2helmets.us/modular/strobe#description

I have found it to be comfortable, so I guess I have a "long oval" head as indicated in some reviews. At first, the pads were too tight, but that's normal for a new helmet and now it feels just right.

I like the mechanisms:
  • The sunshield control is conveniently located on the left lower side. It was stiff at first, but has become easier with use. My prior helmet had this control on the top of the dead, and it was sometimes difficult to locate. The LS2 control is easier to locate.
  • The latch is a metal item that clicks in and has a simple pull tab to release. It's a lot better than the old-school d-rings. Much less futzy.
  • It also has a chin curtain, which is removable. This works out great in the cold of the early or late riding season.
  • Both the chin vent and the upper (top) vent are easily worked with heavy winter gloves, and I can even feel through the gloves whether the vent is open or closed.
Another positive is that the helmet doesn't feel particularly heavy, my former helmet (which I'm keeping handy as a spare, but it's old) was also a modular and so I'm used to the heavier style of helmet. The Strobe also has the usual features, such as removable, washable liner, eyeglass channel for us four-eyes, some reflective materials.

But there are some negatives. The shell is only thermoplastic, not fiberglass. I didn't find out until recently that fiberglass is considered to be better than thermoplastic. And the top vent will whistle slightly at highway speeds when it is open and there is a stronger crosswind (e.g., 15 to 25 mph). The whistle goes away when I turn my head toward the crosswind. It doesn't seem to happen when the wind is below 15.

I'd say more about the Frog-Togs, but I suspect that they are so well-known as a brand and as a product that I can add little that isn't already well known. They work well against the rain, even at interstate speeds. And they can add just the right amount of additional insulation to the summer jacket for early morning or late night travel in the summer months.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I could not keep my hands warm and dry no matter what. Yes I had all the stuff. Heated grips electric gortex top of the line gloves. I had a pair of centuries old belstaff oilcloth mittens. They are clumsy but believe me the keep my hands. Warm enough even when the temp drops to the 20’s and dry in downpours. Old school..

I could not keep my hands warm and dry no matter what. Yes I had all the stuff. Heated grips electric gortex top of the line gloves. I had a pair of centuries old belstaff oilcloth mittens. They are clumsy but believe me the keep my hands. Warm enough even when the temp drops to the 20’s and dry in downpours. Old school..
Interesting. During my weeklong trip to Calgary last month for WeSTOC, we encountered a lot of rain. I found that the Aerostich rain mitts worked well and also did surprisingly well to keep the heat from my heated grips on my hands. I ran these over the AS Elkskin Gauntleted insulated gloves. Seemed a good combo. But whatever works!

Lanval

IBA Member
Darien and AD-1 pants with Aerostich Combat Touring boots. The boots are not water proof but I Niki wax them and they have kept my feet dry in some pretty heavy rains. Shoei helmet. Don't forget the LDComforts.
Did you do the IBR in the AeroStich AD1 pants and Darien Jacket?

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes, I broke down and bought the pants after 2015, my Darien was new in 05 and my wife said it looked so bad I had to get a new one. Wouldn't come clean in the wash but performed as aways. Hi vis, the old color which faded alot. My CTBs we're new in 03 and resoled 4 times. Still wearing them. I have a barely broken in pair in the closet but I don't think I'll live long enough to need them.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Yes, I broke down and bought the pants after 2015, my Darien was new in 05 and my wife said it looked so bad I had to get a new one. Wouldn't come clean in the wash but performed as aways. Hi vis, the old color which faded alot. My CTBs we're new in 03 and resoled 4 times. Still wearing them. I have a barely broken in pair in the closet but I don't think I'll live long enough to need them.
Hahaha... Yah... Wives are like that sometimes. I had a red and black First Gear jacket for years. It fit well, it worked well, but it was no longer red and black. More pink and black. @TamaraV insisted I needed a new one and got me an all black replacement. Now she says I need a new one because our crash put a few holes in the sleeve and shoulder... Sheesh! :p

Thanks for the reply.

Waiting for the Darien jacket to arrive, wanted an orange to go with the tan AD1 pants, with a Blue 2016 FJR, what can I say I like my colors.

Wore the LDComfort shorts with the AD1 pants yesterday, temp about 87, don't think humidity was too high, and found them to be very comfortable, but it was a short ride.

Sportsterpaul

Just like to add the following for cold/wet rides with a full coverage helmet. I run in a Shoei RF1200 that includes a pinlock addition. The pinlock does better than most other add ons but certain conditions you can experience fogging as the device can reach a saturation point under the right conditions. Recently I added a “Respro Foggy breathguard” a thin neoprene lower face guard that Velcro’s into the bottom of a full face helmet. This seals off your breath and directs it down and out under the chin bar. This in combination with the pinlock is the best I have come up with. Temps down to -20F can overtax almost everything else available. One additional note is that proper fitment is critical, the nosepiece and cheek covering must tension properly to stop your warm breath from leaking past the mask and fogging the inner faceshield. No more cracking open the bottom of your shield running down the road, so your face stays warmer in those below freezing temperatures. It may take several adjustments before you are good, have patience, it will be rewarded.
Oh, mine came through Aerostich Rider Warehouse item#1558, @ about $30.00, hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
Winter just started, that's why I'm wearing more clothes these days. I just ordered a new set of winter tires from 4wheelonline, which I hope to receive next week.

Last edited: