What does 'stop' mean?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
On a recent journey I departed from one of the guiding principles of safe long-distance riding in that I decided for no particularly good reason to abandon my plan and ride a different route home. With hindsight that should have been my "first sign of tiredness" triggering another principle "When you're tired, stop". I carried on making poor decisions for a while until, finally, I pulled into the motorway services 250 miles from home.

So, as there was a Days Inn onsite, clearly the right thing, the 'gold standard' thing, to do would be to take a room and sleep for a few hours, right? That's not what I did but I believe that my subsequent actions were the real right ones.

Riding a motorcycle is tiring, both physically and mentally, and when the threshold is reached the necessary action is to stop (cease, quit). Taking a room isn't "stopping", it's taking a new course of action. Taking a room entails deciding to abort the journey, checking in to the Inn, alerting others to the plan deviation, consciously going to sleep, etc. Those are all positive actions and they might not be simple ones either. What if there is no room at the Inn? or the roomrate is £250 for the night? or your card declines? or, having checked in, you just can't get to sleep?

Stop as far as I'm concerned means just that, stop. My body is tired, my brain is tired. Taking a room for the night entails exercising my tired brain. What I actually did was empty my bladder, always a pressing need for anyone over 50 riding any distance, then buy a coffee and sit in the far corner of the rest area. To be clear, I didn't need the coffee, that was just a hat tip to the commercial interests providing the rest area.

My strategy at that point was to simply rest, possibly sleep, until I felt better enough to decide what to do. On other rides I have done the same thing in lay-bys, carparks, under bridges and other "wild camping" or "Iron Butt Motel" locations but if an armchair in a warm dry coffee shop is available, why wouldn't I use that? Stop means stop, no plan, no time limit, just stop.

Having rested for a while (I can't remember whether I slept or not) I decided that I could continue riding. I didn't know whether I could ride all the way home or indeed any particular distance at all but I felt good enough to get on my bike and continue the journey. I called my wife to tell her of the delay and assure her that I would be safe although late (don't wait up) then remounted and rejoined the motorway.

I made two further such stops before finally reaching home around 1am. My original plan would have had me home around 9pm. My route deviation added about 60-90 minutes so I spent between 2-3 hours "stopped".

If you're reading this and thinking about how unsafe it is to be falling asleep in public places let me assure you that I've done it all over Britain, France, Germany, Hungary and several other "unsafe" places for many years now without incident. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

recognizing tiredness is tricky especially when your tired. the brain kids you into thinking your better than you are. not just my brain everybody's brain. if you have been active all day and it gets to a point when your circadian cycle kicks in for most of us who sleep when its dark that'll be between 11 and 2. Not only does the brain think you need to sleep but starts to force the body towards it. My policy has always been even if I don't feel tired assume that I am, and i'm kidding myself.

your decision to stop was a wise decision proceeding at that point would have been foolhardy, recognising wise and poor decision making factors is key not only to a good ride but a good life.

on my first ever rally i could not get a hotel room for the night and it was getting later and later sleeping under a hedge did not appeal which left the coffee shop service station break and you cant rest properly ( or i cant anyway). So i now always carry a small tent on long rides just in case i cant make a destination, there is no substitute for sleep, even a short break will boost energy levels. you'd be surprised where a small tent can be put up for a couple of hours and no one seems to mind or even know you've been there.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I don't much care for your mixing of terms. You slept. Don't sugar coat it with trying to say you stopped, but don't know if you slept. Nothing else offers recuperative benefits when fatigued like sleep does. Nothing replaces sleep. How long you slept is unknown, as is how much sleep you needed to continue safely. And each individual's need for sleep is highly variable. A 20 minute nap may have been sufficient, but by your description, it was not, forcing you to repeat this multiple times before arriving home. I'm glad you arrived home safely.

You made a poor decision and are trying to rationalize it now, both to yourself and to others. That is not a wise choice. Compounding that, you missed the major error you first made by not realizing you were too tired to continue much earlier in your ride. You should have "stopped" then and done a more thorough assessment of your condition. You admit early in your post
With hindsight that should have been my "first sign of tiredness"
We each need to learn our 'tells' in terms of fatigue. A tired mind makes poor choices and bad decisions. Dehydration also slows the brain down and people start making bad decisions. Riders sometimes forget to hydrate well when it's cooler, compounding this issue. It's not as obvious as it is in hot conditions.

It's just a ride. It's not worth your life or causing life altering impacts to yourself and/or others. You need to understand that you screwed up. You should have gotten a room when you decided to change your plan "for no particularly good reason". That was your indication that you were not safe to continue. If you can't understand your actions and choices, something is wrong and you needed to determine what that was. In your case, it was fatigue. There may have been other factors involved, but only you can assess that.

Anyone that's been doing LD riding for a while has had rides where it just didn't feel right. That's when it's time to make the judgement call to end the ride. That may mean getting a room or just taking a break and riding home, but it first requires the rider to listen to their body and do a self assessment.

Safe LD riding doesn't mean 'push on through' when you are tired or something doesn't feel right. It means being aware of how you are feeling and what your body is telling you and making informed choices about how you proceed.

Have I made the same mistakes? Yes. Have I been unable to find a safe place to get some quality sleep? Yes. Eventually, after many stops and short distances ridden, I was able to find a room and sleep. At 7am the conversation with a hotel desk clerk went something like this: I need a room. clerk: (w/o looking up) "We only have one room left" Me: I don't care. clerk: (still not looking up) "it's a family suite" me: I don't care. "It's $356 plus tax" me: I don't care. Clerk finally looks up and sees how spent I am and books me into the room, politely offers me late check out at 2pm. I called the RM and told him where I was and that I was unsafe to continue and would be time barred DNF. Then I slept for 4 hours and rode the remaining ~750 miles to the finish, arriving well past even the banquet. That stop was a culmination of poor choices that I learned much from. Not in the least the hard lesson to listen to my body and get sleep when I needed it instead of 'pushing on'.

Any multi-day rally rider should understand that when you need sleep, the cost of the room is moot. Get the room you can get when you need sleep, regardless of the price. Your safety is far more important.

agree with eric nothing replaces sleep. a stop/ rest will relieve muscle fatigue but not tiredness. only sleep will do that. So i carry that small tent, and i stopped before I'm feeling tired.
too short a sleep break wont help much at all it takes a while to reach the various stages of sleep. some say nothing less than 20 minutes is worthwhile. personally I've just put a tent up so i'm staying longer than that.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I don't much care for your mixing of terms. You slept. Don't sugar coat it with trying to say you stopped, but don't know if you slept. Nothing else offers recuperative benefits when fatigued like sleep does. Nothing replaces sleep. How long you slept is unknown, as is how much sleep you needed to continue safely. And each individual's need for sleep is highly variable. A 20 minute nap may have been sufficient, but by your description, it was not, forcing you to repeat this multiple times before arriving home. I'm glad you arrived home safely.

You made a poor decision and are trying to rationalize it now, both to yourself and to others. That is not a wise choice. Compounding that, you missed the major error you first made by not realizing you were too tired to continue much earlier in your ride. You should have "stopped" then and done a more thorough assessment of your condition. You admit early in your post

Any multi-day rally rider should understand that when you need sleep, the cost of the room is moot. Get the room you can get when you need sleep, regardless of the price. Your safety is far more important.
I regret that my poor use of English appears to have misled you into thinking that I was speaking from ignorance and you consequently missed the point I was making altogether. Let me clarify that I was/am speaking from actual experience. Your general point that sleep is important/vital and recognising signs of tiredness is critical are obviously correct as anyone who's completed a simple SaddleSore will confirm.

I didn't sugar coat anything. My post began with, paraphrasing, I badly messed up and eventually addressed the situation by stopping at the motorway services. The point I was making was that, rather than immediately embark on a new positive course of action (abandon the ride and check-in to the Inn), the remedy was to stop physical activity and decision making long enough to make a rational decision. That is not "pushing on through", that is simply stopping.

Perhaps in your riding area, motel rooms are always available. Perhaps for you (we are all different) the answer to any sign of tiredness is "get a room" with no other options considered. I have experienced occasions when rooms are simply not available, despite many short hops checking multiple hotels, at any price and I have also experienced not being able to fall asleep in a hotel room. That is why I and many others carry basic but adequate camping equipment so that I can always find shelter when I need it. Not everyone can cope with rough sleeping and for those the only option may well be a hotel room. Personally I have had no trouble sleeping in coffeeshops or on the ground next to my bike. I'm 69 now so I have around six decades' experience of intermittent rough sleeping and I'm good with it.

Sleep isn't always needed every time a decision to stop is made but, when it is, there is no substitute for it. On this occasion, having checked my phone records, I can be reasonably confident that, if I slept at all, it was for no more than a few minutes. On other occasions I have slept for anything up to four hours and have woken, naturally, fully refreshed.

Your final paragraph offers, in my opinion, a false dichotomy. You offer get a room or die despite your earlier claim that "Safe LD ... means being aware of how you are feeling and what your body is telling you and making informed choices about how you proceed." My version of "stop" enables exactly that, informed choices, one of which might indeed be "get a room".

Firstpeke

Yep, BTDT.....

Stopped at one services for a rest and sat, like you, in a distant corner of the seating area.... fell asleep for what I thought was maybe twenty minutes, but on checking turned out to be over an hour and a half..... I hadn't looked at my watch, but on checking my spot track later, found the time to be somewhat longer.....

I have always gone with, when tired, STOP... rest is just about unavoidable as your body says enough..... and like you I have slept in some strange places.... maybe not so strange as some of the places I slept when in the services (the armed variety)......

Sounds like you experienced the same as I did in Sweden on my EE2E attempt, requiring three stops to rest before reaching Kista, Stockholm, where I slept for nine hours, knocking off the EE2E as there was no way my body was going to do another 2600 miles..... I needed two more hotel stops en-route to the ferry for Newcastle.....

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Had the same experience on my failed attempt at the full Monty last September got to the scheduled stop at Perth three hours late next stop JoG,
too tired to continue and slept for seven hours, next day it would have been impossible to complete the ride within the time so a leisurely 450 miles home.
Note to self 'Do better next time.'

Last edited:

Firstpeke

No wonder some folk think IBA riders (we, us, you, me....) are all a bit strange.... the fact that we can feel so gutted at not completing a ride, big or small..... and so elated when we complete one, not to mention knackered..... but only when we.... erm..... stop and the adrenalin runs down.....