What is possible on a small scooter?

Howdy everyone;

I love to ride, and I have ridden lots of different bikes of various sizes from 750s right down to 50cc. My longest and the one I had the most fun on was an Aprilla 250 from Haight street in San Francisco to Beale street in Memphis. Right now I love tooling around with my little 50cc Ruckus, touring slow, camping and taking long long rides.

My question is what is feasible on a 50cc Ruckus? I have just started to do the lighthouse challege, which is doable in the alloted time if I make sure that I get out there at least a couple of weekends a month, and do at least two multi-day rides to pick up all the states. What else looks doable on a small bike?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Howdy everyone;

I love to ride, and I have ridden lots of different bikes of various sizes from 750s right down to 50cc. My longest and the one I had the most fun on was an Aprilla 250 from Haight street in San Francisco to Beale street in Memphis. Right now I love tooling around with my little 50cc Ruckus, touring slow, camping and taking long long rides.

My question is what is feasible on a 50cc Ruckus? I have just started to do the lighthouse challege, which is doable in the alloted time if I make sure that I get out there at least a couple of weekends a month, and do at least two multi-day rides to pick up all the states. What else looks doable on a small bike?
The smallest bike to complete a Saddlesore 1000 was 49cc's. So much is possible.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

ts1

Note, that in most states there are constructive speed limits.
Especially for 50cc.
It is physically unbelievable to ride 1600km in 24h with an absolute top speed of 45km/h.
You can do a similar math with 1000miles and 30mph or whatever is applicable.

Does the IBA accept fraud and violations of law to obtain a certificate?
(How much value would such an IBA certificate have?)

Note, that in most states there are constructive speed limits.
Especially for 50cc.
It is physically unbelievable to ride 1600km in 24h with an absolute top speed of 45km/h.
You can do a similar math with 1000miles and 30mph or whatever is applicable.

I totally hear you. On my scooter getting even the 1000 seems completely out of the question. I have a few mods on it, re jetted fuel injectors, better air intake and filter system, minor tweeks to the bearings, but there is no way I can mathematically do the 1000 even topping out at 40. He must have had a much better luck with getting his speed up and probably smaller than me :)

The ones I think I can do are ones with year long limits that require more planning. The Lighthouse Challenge is one I am going to start this week, and I think I might be able to do a few others, but the D=RT formula trips me up on some rides

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No, it doesn't. The basic rule is that we will not certify a ride where the average legal speed limit for the route is less than the average speed needed to complete the ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association