What's next ?

freebird914

Premier Member
I always wanted to complete a Iron Butt ride. I had ridden before but it was not official. For some reason I wanted it to be recorded. Life seems to get in the way for all of us. I completed my ride in early June and sent in the paperwork. I had chosen to send with a delivery confirmation without signature required, just for my piece of mind that it was received. My ride was a great ride. Heat, rain and high gas prices. I had put all the piece in place, Witness's on both ends, The funny thing was my first gas stop the pump did not give me a receipt, so I rode a little bit till I found a next gas station. Things happen so be prepared.

I waited for news waiting for check to clear or a email or call if there was any questions. I received a email, Heres a post from my Fakebook page...

"I may have yelled !!!
Years ago I read in a magazine about something called a IRON BUTT ride. To ride 1000 or more miles in a 24 hour period. It actually amazed me and I knew that one day I would do it… But that day never came, you see Life always was in the way between being in the Navy, working etc … you know the drill… Life gets busy… But the seed was planted.
Every year a small group of us from the Shovelhead group try and get together. It is really like a Homecoming of Family. We spend the weekend at the Kickstand lodge. They are my people we come from all different lifestyles and come together to enjoy motorcycles. Though mostly Shovelheads they accept all riders. Due to life it has been a few years since I have been able to go.
I left on Thursday at around 0100 I experience heat rain and high gas prices, roads I have never been on but I arrived at the Kickstand lodge later that night. The last hour of the ride was intense because I knew my time was getting tight. It sucks being lost, but lost on a dirt road you have nothing to do but keep riding… I have my witness and family waiting… I can not describe the joy to see these faces at the round table as I pulled up. After hugs and greetings I settled down. Wow I had driven from Texas to NC. It seems like such a long way but now it seems so close… I enjoy my time that weekend and was able to see my son and his family for a couple of days.
I now live in Texas… I know now that I can reach each coast or even the Salt flats in a day… The world is now open…
We were sitting on the couch when my phone dinged…
Another email but this one made me yell …
Scaring the Dog and Vicki … but it was a yell of joy…
Here’s part of the email :
“Dear Bruce Casey:
You are receiving this e-mail because of your application for a ride certification. This note is to let you know that your ride has been approved and although your ride documents may take a few more weeks to arrive, your membership has been approved and entered into the Iron Butt Association's member database.
Welcome to the Iron Butt Association!”
So after many years ,,, A dream has come true … It may not mean anything to most but it means the world to me… "

So now I wait for the certificate to arrive,,, But the thoughts in my head are thinking ... What's next ? I find myself looking at maps and distances. I find myself in Texas these days so either coast is less then 24 hours away... Salt Flats is around 1500 ...
So my advice to anyone... Do it as soon as you can... Plan, prepare, but do it... Don't wait till 62 like I did...
For those who have completed had did you decide, Whats Next ?

Have a great day

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats on your ride and welcome to the lunacy.

Wow I had driven from Texas to NC. It seems like such a long way but now it seems so close
...and therein lies the problem. Before the IBA entered my life this continent was pretty big. After 20 years (wow... has it REALLY been that long?) with multiple SSXks, BB15s, & BBGs, (documented and not) this place just does not seem so big anymore... :confused:

freebird914

Premier Member
Come to the UK...... we can make this place look huge with our levels of congestion......

BZ on the ride, welcome to insanity!
I just found out that there is a TET over there... Amazing I was in the UK in 2018 visiting my Motorcycle friends there... I hope to cross the pond again someday ...

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I wasn’t offended …..

Clearly my head was not historically aligned at the time….

We do have a Trump equivalent in Scotland who will not accept the result of a certain referendum and continues to demand another….. that is another kind of “offensive”…..
Maybe goooogle "Tet Offensive" before going off on a political rant? :D

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I had chosen to send with a delivery confirmation and signature required, just for my piece of mind that it was received.
There may be a slight delay in processing your request due to the need for a signature. As the Saddlesore 1000 rules note,

Please try and avoid Federal Express, UPS or Certified mail - although it may seem faster to use these services, we are at our full-time jobs during the day and sometimes it can take weeks to take time off from work to pick up your "speedy" package.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

freebird914

Premier Member
There may be a slight delay in processing your request due to the need for a signature. As the Saddlesore 1000 rules note,

Please try and avoid Federal Express, UPS or Certified mail - although it may seem faster to use these services, we are at our full-time jobs during the day and sometimes it can take weeks to take time off from work to pick up your "speedy" package.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I changed my post it was without Signature required. I just used that it was delivered, I saw that in the recommendations that a signature would delay. Thanks for all you all do ...

I always wanted to complete a Iron Butt ride. I had ridden before but it was not official. For some reason I wanted it to be recorded. Life seems to get in the way for all of us. I completed my ride in early June and sent in the paperwork. I had chosen to send with a delivery confirmation without signature required, just for my piece of mind that it was received. My ride was a great ride. Heat, rain and high gas prices. I had put all the piece in place, Witness's on both ends, The funny thing was my first gas stop the pump did not give me a receipt, so I rode a little bit till I found a next gas station. Things happen so be prepared.

I waited for news waiting for check to clear or a email or call if there was any questions. I received a email, Heres a post from my Fakebook page...

"I may have yelled !!!
Years ago I read in a magazine about something called a IRON BUTT ride. To ride 1000 or more miles in a 24 hour period. It actually amazed me and I knew that one day I would do it… But that day never came, you see Life always was in the way between being in the Navy, working etc … you know the drill… Life gets busy… But the seed was planted.
Every year a small group of us from the Shovelhead group try and get together. It is really like a Homecoming of Family. We spend the weekend at the Kickstand lodge. They are my people we come from all different lifestyles and come together to enjoy motorcycles. Though mostly Shovelheads they accept all riders. Due to life it has been a few years since I have been able to go.
I left on Thursday at around 0100 I experience heat rain and high gas prices, roads I have never been on but I arrived at the Kickstand lodge later that night. The last hour of the ride was intense because I knew my time was getting tight. It sucks being lost, but lost on a dirt road you have nothing to do but keep riding… I have my witness and family waiting… I can not describe the joy to see these faces at the round table as I pulled up. After hugs and greetings I settled down. Wow I had driven from Texas to NC. It seems like such a long way but now it seems so close… I enjoy my time that weekend and was able to see my son and his family for a couple of days.
I now live in Texas… I know now that I can reach each coast or even the Salt flats in a day… The world is now open…
“Dear Bruce Casey:
You are receiving this e-mail because of your application for a ride certification. This note is to let you know that your ride has been approved and although your ride documents may take a few more weeks to arrive, your membership has been approved and entered into the Iron Butt Association's member database.
So after many years ,,, A dream has come true … It may not mean anything to most but it means the world to me… "

So now I wait for the certificate to arrive,,, But the thoughts in my head are thinking ... What's next ? I find myself looking at maps and distances. I find myself in Texas these days so either coast is less then 24 hours away... Salt Flats is around 1500 ...
So my advice to anyone... Do it as soon as you can... Plan, prepare, but do it... Don't wait till 62 like I did...

Have a great day

I did my first IBA ride in 1990 followed by one in 1997. Much the same story for me. I read about the IBA and knew I would do it someday. Then life got in the way. Many years past by. So, what's next? For me a 3 flags run to celebrate my 80th. My son and I are headed out Aug 31. I will be 80 Sept 3 and I will be on the ride. Bike is a Honda CTX 700 with an automatic transmission. I bought it on ebay from a 60 year old lady who quit riding. My son is on a BMW 1150. Spotwalla url for the ride https://new.spotwalla.com/trips/browse/1?un=Dick_Brandt

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

"I may have yelled !!!
“Dear Bruce Casey:

Have a great day
Congratulations on completing your ride!

Congratulations @freebird914 on completing and receiving your IBA ride certification! I'll bet it's a great feeling of accomplishment! :)

I'll be hoping to one day receive mine after having submitted an application for review for an SS1000 that I'd completed (and mailed) in July. I'm in no hurry and as of today, have yet to receive word one way or another of my application's receipt, approval or denial.

Although I don't expect you to have the answer, I do remain curious as to why others SEEM to have received their results within a few weeks of submittal. As I mentioned, I'm in no hurry and was expecting 6 months (or more) for the entire process to complete. If that's the case, I'm right on schedule and good with that.

In any event, and being new to IBA, I'm hoping that I'll at least receive word that my application has been received and is in the process. As far as I know, and although it's unlikely, the application could have been lost in the mail :rolleyes:

Once again, I'm glad you made it through and will be looking forward to reading and learning more about the entire IBA process as I continue to learn and grow.

p.s. I'd sent my application the old-fashioned way: USPS snail mail with no signature required.

I changed my post it was without Signature required. I just used that it was delivered, I saw that in the recommendations that a signature would delay. Thanks for all you all do ...
Around here that just means that it MIGHT have been delivered SOMEWHERE... If it managed to make it into YOUR mailbox, then it was a complete accident and they'll try to correct that next time...