When too many miles is a bad thing.

The last couple of years I have taken a vacation in May for IBA rides. Last year was the Border to Border. This year was the Coast to Coast 50 Quest. Next year the plan is 48/10. So last year on the Border to Border I road enough miles to qualify for the Bun Burner gold. However the BB would then be a nested ride, so I passed on the BB Gold. This year on the CC50 Quest and trip home, I rode enough to qualify for the SS4000k. But again the CC50 would be nested, so again I passed on the higher award. Next year, from what I've read, most finisher's of the 48/10 finish in just over 8 days. I was thinking maybe a 10/10. I will just save for the future because I would not want to have that achievement nested.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While people have done concurrent 10/10 and 48+(+)(+) rides, most don't fully appreciate just how challenging it is to do that. Making your 48 states each a 1k day means you really have to push in the Eastern states.

I know a few very experienced IBA riders that had to drop the 10/10 in order to complete the 48+ ride. And I was in Hyder one year when a friend arrived, having completed both together. He was so wiped out we had to help him off his bike, guide him in and get him sat down with a plate of food and some water. He ate and drank water like a zombie and about 30 minutes later he finally realized I was sitting across from him, only then mustering enough brain function to recognize anyone. He was beyond beat and looked it. He's lucky he made it w/o incident. He slept most of the next day and then we got to hear his story about getting through the Eastern states, the crap weather in May that he experienced there and elsewhere, etc.

I've done a 10/10 ride myself. I mixed it in with an endurance rally and had to push hard to overcome errors, (rally related), ending up DNFing the rally, but getting enough miles in the 10 day window for the cert.