Wind across Kansas?

Planning a ride at end of Sept from Richmond, VA to Denver, CO, to include a BB1500 on the way out. Need to be back home 6 days later.

The last time I rode across Kansas I swore I'd never do that again - they wind was terrible! The simple route follows I-70 from Kansas City, past Fort Riley, Hays, etc, into Denver and shows about 1690 miles. If I divert northwest from KC past Lincoln, NE, across I-80 to Big Spring, and back down I-76 to Denver, the adder is 70 miles.

Is it worth the extra 70 miles to miss Kansas altogether? And is NE wind-free? Or should I just tough out the 400 miles leaning over?

Thanks, Stuart

I crossed Kansas twice about 3 weeks ago and the wind didn't seem too bad. Maybe I got lucky? I've heard Nebraska is pretty windy too. I'd ride across Kansas.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've had both, no wind and hundreds of miles of holding my bike on an angle to avoid being blown off the road! I've found the winds worse in spring than fall but I'm a small small size.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It's always the windy season in Kansas and, to a lesser extent, Nebraska. So learn how to ride with the bike leaned over. But be aware that when going through small towns (like on US 50), the silos will block the wind momentarily, thus standing you straight up. A refreshing moment of excitement (if not paying attention) during hours of boredom. :-0

Also be sure that, if you ride across Kansas from east to west, you return by the same route to maintain even wear on your tire sidewalls. :)

Ira

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
When I rode my Buddy Holly Tribute 1000 from Lubbock, TX, to Clear Lake, IA, on July 5 (and back on July 6) the wind was reasonable enough that it didn't factor into my riding 'attitude' or planning. I guess it was a 'calm' couple of days.

Enjoy your ride.

DrNeo

Premier Member
I've been across both multiple times - both are going to have heavy winds. I feel like I80 has more truck traffic than I70... either way you'll be passing trucks all day :p

Wind and boredom on both. 80 maybe less boredom plus a lot of history if there was time. As DrNeo said, probably more trucks on 80.

I myself would run I-70 if time was a factor unless I needed the extra miles for a certificate. It is boring.

Ok not I70 or I80, but I40 in Texas/Oklahoma. I left Denver and headed south to pick up I40 heading to TN, hopefully missing I70's boredom and winds, wrong. It did not take long to realize that wind turbines on the horizon just meant more wind. :p

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Coming back from TN last spring, I was feeling miserable, mainly due to allergies. A wonderful two week trip back east, but I was at the pointof wanting to put the spurs to the bike and get home.

Around 1800 miles from E. TN to our home in AZ. "Divide by 3" - Three days. (I'm in touring mode with my wife...but we were still just wanting to get home)

Day two...the I-40 corridor across OK and the TX panhandle. Yeah...that was brutal. There was probably some wind when we were eastbound just a couple of weeks earlier, but mostly, you just don't feel it. I made up for that 'not feeling it' on that day on the way home. :eek:

It was the first time my wife really experienced the 'jump' from the dashed lane line to fog line in an instant!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'd flip a coin and let chance decide. Or go the way the weather looks best. I rode across Nebraska and back via Kansas (from CT) in August and found them to be similar, and far less windy than my last trip a few years ago. Guess I was lucky this time, but I'd wager that either one would be similar to the other

I personally liked the ride through Nebraska more but thats just me.

Have a great ride!

Twenty some years ago while heading west to the "Going to the Sun road", I was riding across Montana on my Norton. I do not remember the highway, but it was continuous curves across rolling prairie. It was so windy that I was actually leaning left on right hand curves. On left hand turns I was leaning over to the left as far as I could without scraping. I was always worried that the wind would suddenly stop and I would tip over.

Baxter

The Northern and Central Plains states can have pleasant weather. But sometimes there are whole days where the wind is gusting above 30 mph, severe storm can bring sustained winds above 40 and gusts above 60. And then there are the days that people will talk about. ;) I was out on one calm day, when a thunderstorm popped up on my north and turned to intercept me. I had to slow down to about 40 to keep satisfactory control until I could evade the storm (no place to shelter is also a plains state phenomenon to keep in mind).

Plan ahead, check the weather at several points along your route, and prepare for contingencies. Safe is better than sorry.

Baxter

Twenty some years ago while heading west to the "Going to the Sun road", I was riding across Montana on my Norton. I do not remember the highway, but it was continuous curves across rolling prairie. It was so windy that I was actually leaning left on right hand curves. On left hand turns I was leaning over to the left as far as I could without scraping. I was always worried that the wind would suddenly stop and I would tip over.
That "leaning left while turning right" thing is really disconcerting at first. It makes me worry that my instincts will fail me and I'll end up doing something I don't want to do.

413Sean

Premier Member
I'd flip a coin and let chance decide. Or go the way the weather looks best. I rode across Nebraska and back via Kansas (from CT) in August and found them to be similar, and far less windy than my last trip a few years ago. Guess I was lucky this time, but I'd wager that either one would be similar to the other

I personally liked the ride through Nebraska more but thats just me.

Have a great ride!
I basically did the exact same ride as Gerry in mid July headed towards Montana/Idaho, him and I are practically neighbors(Northeast folks) in the our world of LD riding.. I-80 is more scenic to myself across Nebraska and I branched off on 26(scenic two laner) in Ogallala,NB and eventually in Wyoming and beyond. On the return way east, took I-70 from Green River UT, to MS. The wind was minimal along I- 80w on the way out, however on I-70e once I past Denver, and got into Limon area, it was full on bike tilt leaning right(winds from south) wind blast for the next 500 miles. I took a beating physically, enjoying a couple added stops along I-70e in KS than normal as I was trying to make time since the party was over on my rocky Mtn tour. I got into Kansas "hill country" approaching Topeka, the wind settled off. It was late in the 3am hours of the morning once I past Kansa City and caught a nap in Columbia MS . Seems like a roll of the dice with the winds and weather of the Midwest. Either way, enjoy it and keep us informed of your ride!

Sean

Last edited:
I haven't been lucky enough to be on a Norton but have ridden in winds so high in Montana and Wyoming that I had to have a 18 wheeler block the wind for me. I would camp out next to the truck in the passing lane and cruise at their speed.

Kylearane

Premier Member
I would camp out next to the truck in the passing lane and cruise at their speed.
I don't want to be "that" guy but please don't do that again. As a former trucker I can give you a few reasons why:

1. Trucks have been known to blow over in strong winds. If you search Youtube you can find plenty of videos of wind gusts blowing them over, especially in Wyoming. There's one in particular that crushes a police car on the shoulder.
2. Those alligators (truck tire treads) you see on the side of the road can make your day even worse than the wind if it happens when you're next to it. My brother is a driver as well and had one shred, get caught in another wheel and be launched forward, taking his mirror with it.
3. Whenever anyone would match my speed as you described, I would give them a minute or so, then I'd slow down until they passed. I didn't want to be the driver that killed someone because I forgot they were there because they ended up in my blind spot. Also, it can be an issue at on ramps when the merging traffic expects the truck to move but it can't.

There's others I can think of, but again, I don't want to be that guy who thinks he knows better than everyone else. Mostly, I don't want to be that guy who said nothing and someone gets killed.

Ride safe. :)

As it turned out my trip west across Kansas was not too bad. Some blustery winds for the first couple hours, then it calmed down.
I accomplished my goal of making Limon, CO, about 1600 miles, within the 36 hours. This included an overnight stop in Columbia, MO.

The return trip (east-bound) was really dreadful. 250 miles of strong cross winds, struggling to stay in my lane. By 300 miles it calmed down some, and finally increased my speed up to the speed limit. Made 2 overnights and arrived back in Richmond early the third morning.

Stuart Ostroff