Winter Solstice 2020-12-21

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Monday 21st December will be the winter solstice aka shortest day this year. I propose another sunrise/sunset ride, this time visiting three countries. Details later but briefly:-

Norwich, England --- Wrexham, Wales --- Dumfries, Scotland. Approx 415 miles

Premier Inn - Norwich West (Showground/A47) Longwater Interchange, New Costessey, NR5 0TP ///embers.storage.annotated

Poppy laid at Royal Welch Fusiliers War Memorial ///method.museum.storm

Premier Inn - Annan Road, Dumfries, DG1 3JX ///friend.rivers.venues

Sunrise in Norwich will be 0804z Sunset in Dumfries 1547z

1. Bob Stammers
2. Kim Leeson (You are in aren't you Kim? What about breakfast?)
3. Ian M
4. Gordon Sears
5. Lynn O'Kane
6. g.s. john
7. Sean
8. Wilfried Weyers
9. Ian Hadaway
10. Phil Weston
11. Jonathan Baker
12. Peter Perfect

Last edited:

Ian M

could go up the road to Moffatt - its an official dark sky town (so we’ll know if we’ve made it for sundown as it’ll be dark but you could watch the sun go down from the Devil's Beef Tub - assuming its sunny) and has the Buccleuch Arms where everyone from bike jurnos upwards stay, never been so I have no idea what it’s like or if it’ll be open

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm in, Buccleuch Arms used to be owned/run by an IBA member, don't know if it still is.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Buccleuch Arms Hotel is closed throughout December :(

In fact, according to booking.com, rooms are in fairly short supply in Moffat in December.

Bob M

IBA Member
I`ve stayed in the Balmoral Hotel on the other side of the road to the Buccleuch. Very good. Great food. Not much help if it`s closed mind.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Executive decision has been made in favour of Premier Inn Dumfries. Flex booking £39 + £9.50 breakfast (for the benefit of those unfamiliar with Premier Inn breakfasts: the price is the same whether you eat a boiled egg with a cup of tea or the whole nine yards of a full Scottish breakfast complete with cholesterol and all-day energy stuff). It has a restaurant and parking and all the other goodies so there's no excuses.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Given that we don't get on with all riding together we don't really want a rendezvous in the middle of the ride so we're going to lay poppies at the Royal Welch Fusiliers memorial (and take a photo so we know you actually went there). Just imagine what the townsfolk will make of a whole bunch of riders appearing through the snow and fog either singly or with a mate, ignoring the freezing conditions and Manchester airport being closed down cos they're all southern jessies - the IBA will become one of the main Welsh legends of the 21st century!

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I see that the motorcycle parking bay is directly opposite the memorial in the car park in Wrexham :D