Winter Solstice 2021-12-21

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Tuesday 21st December will be the winter solstice aka shortest day this year. I propose another sunrise/sunset ride, this time visiting three countries. As before:-

Norwich, England --- Wrexham, Wales --- Dumfries, Scotland. Approx 415 miles

Premier Inn - Norwich West (Showground/A47) Longwater Interchange, New Costessey, NR5 0TP ///embers.storage.annotated
Premier Inn, Norwich Airport, Delft Way, Norwich, NR6 6BB ///chat.nerves.pays
Poppy laid at Royal Welch Fusiliers War Memorial ///method.museum.storm

Premier Inn - Annan Road, Dumfries, DG1 3JX ///friend.rivers.venues

Sunrise in Norwich will be 0804z Sunset in Dumfries 1547z

1. Bob Stammers
2. Ian M
3. Martin
4. Gordon Sears

5. Ian Hadaway
6. The nameless Exgreen064
7. GSA Julie and 'partner'
8. Ian Manson

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
In view of the fact that Premier Inn Norwich West is currently offering £63/£75 rather than last year's £29/£39 I'll not book that right away.
Dumfries currently £41/£57 so ditto

Firstpeke

Being new to this, I would like to know more.... I take it you would be starting in Norwich and finishing in Dumfries then?

What's the normal routine for such as this please?

I am interested but would like to know more before committing to it, although my wife thinks I should be committed already......

Ian M

well
the start time is just before/around sun rise at the location given, very often those taking part meet the night before for a meal etc.
a group photo is taken at sunrise and then we head off via any POI the routemaster has set and then aim to be at the finish location at sunset for another group photo and then everyone is welcome to stay for dinner or do their/ your own thing

its not a race, its timed to be undertaken comfortably, you generally ride on your own but you will probably come across each other on the route at petrol stations etc, if you cannot complete the ride (for whatever reason) there is always next time, there is no shame in not completing it

so sign up!!

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I now find I have alternative commitments. Please remove me from the list.

Thanks

Exgreen064

Being a new boy at this, I would like to join up for this ride. Any information on meeting up the evening before for a bite to eat, or a chat.

Ian M

i was looking at accommodation

the PTI at the start point is £60.50/night at Norwich Airport PTI its from £36.50 and only a few miles extra

and cheaper in the city centre, not by much, but i have no info on security

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Right Ian, you're in charge of accommodation. Pick one and let us know what to book please.

Ian M

well not one to shy away from a difficult decision but i don't want to hijack anything, options are:

1. book one room at £62 and we all share - just like ground workers do :eek:
2. stay as we had planned and that's that
3. book at airport PTI and start there - extra six miles and 20 mins and a bit of a hack around Norwich ring road in rush hour - its not that busy
4. wait to the very last moment and see if the showground drops its prices in line with other PTIs in the same city

I'm for 3, its a tank of fuel difference + - not to be sniffed at the moment if that is ok??

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have booked myself into Premier Inn, Norwich Airport, Delft Way, Norwich, NR6 6BB on the night of Monday 20th December!

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
Going to have to drop out as mother in law is going into hospital. A new hip for Christmas so all our holiday plans are now out the window :mad: