Winter solstice 2022-12-21

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Excuse me, maybe I'm missing something but the ride for most to get there is longer than the ride..242 miles! I don't get out of bed for less than 300...why not just do a 'coast to coast' of Skye?? Might be back for late morning coffee. 1640259310948.png

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Kim, there'll be no requirement for you to follow the shortest route. If you want to go via Edinburgh or John o'Groats to make it interesting that's up to you. The six hours and fifty-five minutes of daylight are yours to enjoy as you see fit.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Interesting, my route planner, ITN Converter, agrees on the 243 miles but wants another hour of ride time at 5:51 hours. TomTom MyDrive shows the same 243 miles and gives a similar ride time of 5:47 hours.

edit: Just seen Kim's 6:03 hours on Google Maps.

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
While we're all getting excited about how short a ride this might be (my original Google plot estimates 6 hours 5 minutes) let me offer a gentle reminder that this involves the highlands of Scotland, in winter. If there is a problem on the A835, any diversion will likely add serious distance and time. Participants will also want to ensure they carry adequate supplies of fuel, water, food and shelter because none of us want to be the one who needed an airlift, do we?

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Between the 600+ mile ride there and the 650+ mile ride home I'm more than happy with the late 08:48 start, shorter 250 mile sunrise-sunset challenge across the Highlands in whatever weather Scotland may throw our way. Between now and then I've added a Gerbing heated jacket and heated gloves to my birthday gift wish list, something I'm told I should have done years ago.

I'll have the usual 1970's version of a rufty tufty jet boiler, water, coffee and some wet ration packs in the top box.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Green route is 1.5 miles longer than the Red Route.
The green route is generally good quality single carriageway road.
Not a lot in it distance wise.
Alternatives.JPG

Firstpeke

As one who has been caught out by weather and subsequently suffered both injury and a write off, in north east Scotland, in October 2012..... I can only advise that at the slightest hint of snow or ice, turn back..... you probably won't get a second chance...

The A87 route via Invergarry is exceptional providing the roads are dry and there is neither frost or snow.

I will not be doing this ride though....

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not a lot in it distance wise.
If you know before leaving Inverness which route is and will remain clear throughout your journey. Discovering halfway that your chosen road is now impassable would be unfortunate.