Witness form question

Wornout

Premier Member
Question about the witness form. Where it says starting and ending verification it asks for date, time, odometer, and location. Is it wanting that information for the time/location of the witness signing or the receipt information? Sorry to ask so many questions, just want to get it right.

Thanks

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
We all asked these questions at one time...

On the witness form, this is the information where the witness sees you and your motorcycle - and the odometer reading and location at that point in time.

Note that your witness does NOT have to do this immediately before the ride starts.

My brother-in-law witnessed my wife and I at the house the day before the ride. That morning, we rode a few miles to the starting point. Same thing happened at the end of the ride; BIL came by the next day & saw the bike & us a few miles away from the ending location.

Good luck!

BMWguy

IBA Member
It may depend on the ride you're doing.
For example - for an SS1000 or BB1500, your wife, friend, brother, etc can be your witness and the IBA does not expect them to be at your start location at 3 in the morning or at midnight.

From the website: "Yes. We understand that many riders will start or end at times inconvenient for others (like 3 AM). As long as the witness is within a reasonable distance of the start and/or finish, it will be fine."

For some of the longer more challenging rides that won't work. However, there is a list of IBA members on the website that you can contact and most of them will come to your location and be a witness for you.
http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
For some of the longer more challenging rides that won't work.
Just to clarify, there is no difference between the Saddlesore 1000 and other, longer, more complicated rides when it comes to when to obtain start and end witnesses. So although there may be other reasons why this won't work, it is not because rules differ according to the ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Wornout

Premier Member
We all asked these questions at one time...

On the witness form, this is the information where the witness sees you and your motorcycle - and the odometer reading and location at that point in time.

Note that your witness does NOT have to do this immediately before the ride starts.

My brother-in-law witnessed my wife and I at the house the day before the ride. That morning, we rode a few miles to the starting point. Same thing happened at the end of the ride; BIL came by the next day & saw the bike & us a few miles away from the ending location.

Good luck!
Do you think the 30+ miles from my last receipt to the witness location will be a problem? It is even further out.