Yankee 1000

In the IBA store i see a sticker/patch on a run called Yankee 1000. 5 northeast states . I see no info on this... can someone direct me or knows about this. Thanks IBA#74728

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There's actually a Yankee 1000 (last done in 2008) and there's a New England 1000 (last done in 2018). Suspect there may be a difference between those two rides.

Neither one of them are on the ride list: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/index.html

...and yet, the BIG list shows obviously a few have been done.

EDIT: Older discussion here:

I knew there was something...but, yet, it's not:

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/new-england-1000.2520/

https://www.minuteman1000.com/SS1K_ROUTE.html

Will need an old-timer to clarify the differences between those two rides. ;)

Last edited:
So as long as I follow the route as set... I can start anytime? Do I need to buy syrup? Or just a receipt from there.. follow the read directions set as a rally just ride it as a minuteman 1000.. does that sound about right.. thanks...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It was simply a ride done in the past.

Does doing that ride qualify for the New England 1000? I'd ask @Ira for clarification on the thread I linked to above for that clarity.

Which ride if any qualifies for the Yankee 1000? It may have been answered in the past on the prior version of the forum.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Generally those rides were done as a specific event organized for that singular time. Doing the route later usually would not qualify for the patch since it was a rally event.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The previous thread I referenced above on this general topic definitely went off-axis onto a brief discussion of other rides. ;)

Yet, I see where the confusion from the OP may have taken root from. On the original ride participant list (https://ironbutt.org/rides/), it lists over 30 riders that have done a "Yankee 1000" over the span of several years, beginning in 2001 and ending in 2008. That same listing shows triple that quantity of riders that have credit for a "New England (NE)1000" going back a year earlier.

The mileage on many (not all) are 1022 miles; indicating to me it's potentially the same route. Many (not all) of those that have a "Yankee 1000" ride identifier (right-most column), also seem to have "NE1000" indicated.

Interestingly, those with "NE1000" only as a ride identifier also show a distance of 1022 miles. Earliest entry I see for this is one year earlier (2000).

As a rally, the Minuteman 1000 wouldn't necessarily have a 'common' route plan, as mileage figures per the ride list, are shown as 1000+ miles, or actual mileage ridden by the participants.

Therefore, doing the Minuteman 1000 route referenced above may not give a rider credit for a NE1000. As of April, 2019, details of that specific ride was still being assembled, per the previous thread on the topic.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The Minuteman 1000 I believe was a Cert Ride that was part of the Minuteman 1000 Rally I think there is more info here https://www.minuteman1000.com/ but I can't get to it on this computer. The rally and both a rally and a cert ride component. The Rally hasn't been held in a couple years.

The New England 1000 or 2000 was a SS1000 on a set route sponsored by a guy that lived in Augusta, Maine generally the rider would meet him in Augusta for the start/finish and get receipts at set places in New England which took a 1000 miles to accomplish. The 2000 was just two laps. He was the Start/finish witness, I'm not sure how they were submitted but I think it was a variation of the normal process. He apparently is no longer able or willing to continue. The ride was a mixture of interstate a two lane roads and looked something like this. https://goo.gl/maps/2yhxGYGeTpze6f6u9 That's just an approximation I put together in a couple minutes.

I don't recall anything about a Yankee 1000 but it looks like it could have been organized by the Yankee Beemers????

Last this is all just from memory with some supposition which is sometimes faulty.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So as long as I follow the route as set... I can start anytime? Do I need to buy syrup? Or just a receipt from there.. follow the read directions set as a rally just ride it as a minuteman 1000.. does that sound about right.. thanks...
Bryan …

Last year, I wrote the proposed web page for the New England 1000; publication on the IBA website is under review at IBA HQ.

This is a motorcycle ride of at least 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours, entirely within the New England Region of the USA. That Region consists of the six states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

The “In-Region” ride is similar to an In-State or In-City SaddleSore ride.
Rules summary …
- You may start your ride at any city within the Region, and you may end your ride at any city within the Region.
- You may take any route you like, and you may visit the six states in any order.
- You must obtain a DBR from each of the six states in the Region.
- Your official ride duration is determined by the starting and ending DBRs.
- Your ride must not leave the Region, except for emergency or safety reasons, and if you leave, you must re-enter the Region at the same point where you left it.

Spotwalla is strongly recommended but not required.

… Dave

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Information about the New England 1000 ride has been added to the IBA website.
From The Big List, the ride is included under "Special theme rides" (the next to last section), and the ride page provides the details. With the flexibility for start & end points, the route, and the visiting order for states, many variations are possible.
... Dave

I have a question that I think this post can help me with. I'm planning my first SS1000 and I wanted to to the NE1000 as well. If I do the NE1000 do I also get credit for the SS1000 or vise versa? There isn't a pin, patch or anything for the NE1000. I'd like to have that as I think it would be cool to have.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a question that I think this post can help me with. I'm planning my first SS1000 and I wanted to to the NE1000 as well. If I do the NE1000 do I also get credit for the SS1000 or vise versa? There isn't a pin, patch or anything for the NE1000. I'd like to have that as I think it would be cool to have.
The NE1000 is a version of the SS1K ride. You don't get two certs.

The only difference is that the SS1K can be done on any route you choose, whereas the NE1000 has more specific guidelines to qualify. Same basic rules for the SS1K apply. Your NE1000 cert would fall under the SS1K listings for rides completed, similar to In State rides. (I'm guessing you want to do a New England 1000, not a Nebraska 1000?)

Read here - New England 1000

According to the link above, there is currently no pin/patch or other merchandise for the NE1000 ride. However, the cert will be unique to that ride.

I notice that it's over 500 miles to CT. Just riding there and back is a SS1K. The rules for the NE1000 accept that the ride must start and end in the any city in the accepted 6 NE states. Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Could I still get a SS1000 patch for my jacket if I do the NE1000?
You may still purchase a SS1K patch from the IBA store once that ride is in the books. I don't know for sure if you would get the SS1K patch/pin if you paid for the Full Monty when submitting your NE1000 ride. You likely would if you included a note saying that you knew there was no patch/pin for the NE1000, but would like the standard SS1K patch/pin. You would qualify for the patch, having done a SS1K ride, despite it also being a NE1000 ride.