Zumo XT

XPLSV

Premier Member
I see Garmin has just started to sell the Zumo XT, which is replacing the Zumo 595LM in their lineup. The guys at the Adventure Rider forum seem to be pretty stoked on the screen brightness, for one thing. I believe the Topo map function may be significantly increased for offroad ride planning. I am just learning my new Nav VI on my K1600 GTL, which is quite a bit different than my older Garmin handheld devices from 15 years ago. The Basecamp is new ground for me. I had just bought the Zumo 595LM as a secondary unit for my bike...still sitting in the box at home. I'm trying to figure out if I should return the 595LM and get the XT in its place, but at this point I am unclear on the compatibility of transfer procedures for planned routes, way points, etc from any planning done in Basecamp to the unit in question. Garmin seems to direct users to plan in Basecamp, export to the Garmin Express app, then sync that to the XT. At present, it appears the Garmin Express locks out the ability of XT to display/hide individual routes when multiple routes are loaded. Avoiding Express loading of the XT seems to be a way around and using the Drive app to get the route to the XT. At this point, I am not well versed in the procedures of planning routes with the various Basecamp, Garmin Apps, Nav VI, 595LM and XT. My main concern is having two systems on the bike that require building two different sets of export files. If I planned a route of various rally points and did an export, I'd like to be able to send that export to both units; one unit being the Nav VI and then the other being either the 595LM or the XT. If the same files can be exported to all three, I'd choose the XT based upon the screen readability comments that I have read. Would appreciate some comments on these units and software with regards to rally use from some of you with greater experience than I.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Usually you load the routes created in Basecamp directly onto the device rather than go through Express. Whether the XT follows this practice I don't know but all other Garmin devices do. Express seems to be more for map and firmware updates.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
But Express opens as you connect a Garmin, but doesn't always recognise it (for ages), even though BC does.

XPLSV

Premier Member
From what I have read, thus far, Garmin advises checking a box for Garmin Express during the XT setup and those that have done that were unable to control turning on/off visibility for individual routes after doing that. One guy wiped/hard reset his device, avoided checking the Garmin Express box, and was then able to control the on/off visibility for routes...he did this after another guy had inadvertently missed checking the Garmin Express box during setup. It appears Garmin is pushing the Express more, but seems that one can avoid it with the XT.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm finding little practical (for our rally purposes) info the XT so far so waiting on passing judgement for now. I love the bright screen, but really want to see in the real world how it integrates with BaseCamp and navigates routes based on planned trips and point-to-point nav during a rally.