A few days off

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I reached ceduna a few minutes ahead of schedule after a very foggy and cold crossing of the Eyre peninsula.

Once again thank you for your messages and offers to help.
Ron passed on his Spot and I may try to get it activated before some sleep
It was great to see Ron again and ride with him for a brief amout of time.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
You should be able to to turn on tracking now Jeff.

After some transactions with Findmespot I've re-activated the device.

If Jeff turns the Spot off and on, hopefully it will be updated and enable tracking.

Get some sleep, I'll chat with Helen to let her know what's happening when she calls. WE can sort out any further issues then.

I'll be watching. All the best for the rest of the ride.

Last edited:

Murphyau

<< snip >>

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/61Z8

Does the link above work for everybody?
Works for me. Thanks.

It shows that Jeff departed Ceduna (-32.075290, 133.659350) at 4:39am, last seen at Coorabie (-31.757400, 132.188780) at 06:09am, a distance of 150 km in 1:30.

The SPOT pings are a regular 10 minute interval, but it doesn't say what time zone it is set for but I guess it is SA time.

Last edited:

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Works for me. Thanks.

It shows that Jeff departed Ceduna (-32.075290, 133.659350) at 4:39am, last seen at Coorabie (-31.757400, 132.188780) at 06:09am, a distance of 150 km in 1:30.

The SPOT pings are a regular 10 minute interval, but it doesn't say what time zone it is set for but I guess it is SA time.
Thanks for your reply. The Time Zone is UTC -10. (Sydney)
Magic sunrise here today. Not a cloud in the sky.

Dicky Knee

He's making very good time.
Unfortunately I won't be able to ride out to meet him tonight. I'll be getting my beauty sleep for tomorrow mornings early start. Jeff is aware of this, but I feel confident that his GPS will lead him thru ok. He will not have the roadworks to deal with (compared to his last visit here). It is a pretty straight forward run to Scarborough now.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Keep in mind that the SPOT site is updated immediately whereas the Spotwalla site is only updated when Spotwalla polls the SPOT site. If the device has not been used for a while, the polling frequency that Spotwalla uses decreases quite a bit untl it "understands" that the device is active again. At which time Spotwalla will increase the polling frequency again.

Murphyau

Keep in mind that the SPOT site is updated immediately whereas the Spotwalla site is only updated when Spotwalla polls the SPOT site. If the device has not been used for a while, the polling frequency that Spotwalla uses decreases quite a bit untl it "understands" that the device is active again. At which time Spotwalla will increase the polling frequency again.
Thank you for the explanation. I could not understand why FindMeSpot started at -32.075290, 133.659350 @ 04:39 (Sydney time) while Spotwalla started at -31.53819, 130.67635 @ 07:48.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you for the explanation. I could not understand why FindMeSpot started at -32.075290, 133.659350 @ 04:39 (Sydney time) while Spotwalla started at -31.53819, 130.67635 @ 07:48.
I think the "active device" poll interval is 20 minutes (or at least it used to be) while the "inactive device" poll interval is somewhere upwards of two hours. These values may have changed in recent times, donno for sure.

Taffey

Good grief. I knew of Jeff's ride and was thinking of ways I might join him for part of it before coming down with a really bad head cold. Not COVID thank heavens. Anyways, glad his ride is progressing well (your ride Jeff if you read this).

Since the topic is on approaches to tracking, I use a SPOT device which resides inside my jacket where I can readily get to it and Garmin inReach that is attached to the bike by a permanent cradle. Yes going through the batteries is a pain, but if I were to be thrown and unable to reach the bike, I still have a way to send my SOS. If I am feeling better, might tag along with Jeff at some point but for now all I will add is, "Go you good thing!"

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Fatman is correct. It is my Spot3, but as I have no further use of it, I offered it to Jeffery at the Buronga fuel stop. I had to resubscribe to the tracking feature, as I'd let it expired. We will sort out the financials later. The priority was to get it working for the ride. The Spotwalla interface was configured sometime after the Findmespot service was set up. I think that would be the delay Murphyau was referring to.
Enjoy!