2017 run coming from cornwall

Hi im new to large runs etc and ive paid up for next years run and am doing the north clockwise route around scottland, firstly if anyone is riding up from down the south or want to ride the route together please let me no as id aprecate any company, also any helpfull tips from riders who have done this before would be a great help lol, cheers, matty horsfield

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Matt. Welcome on-board :)

Bimbler on here is also from your neck of the woods and I'm sure he'll be along to offer his support. He's only 5 miles further from Squires than you are :p

In my opinion you've chosen one of the better route directions. It's always great riding down through Glen Coe and the last stretch back down the A1 never seems as bad as the long drag down the M6 and across the M62 as the anti-clockwise direction does.

One of the keys to success (after some practice of course) is to plan your fuel stops and try and ride until you need to stop and top up. You can then use these stops to eat, drink, and pee. It's all too easy especially in the highlands to keep stopping to take in the scenery, but it's surprising how all these extra stops can eat into your time.

I'd also consider starting early at 05.00. Many riders choose to start at this time to make the most of the light traffic and daylight. You might only end up riding for a couple of hours in darkness and it's something to brag about when you tell all your friends you've ridden around the whole of Scotland in daylight :D

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Bimbler here!

Welcome Matt.

Every year I think of doing a different route and then I end up with North-Anti. (I like the M6,M62 at the end.)
The worst bit is getting past Birmingham from Cornwall on Friday to reach Squires. Cars sat in the right hand lane and not moving out of the way. (Grumble,grumble).

Plan on starting on Saturday at 0500 and a bit. There is a start "window" and there is no need to rush to be there at exactly 0500 but use the daylight.
So if you need to spend an extra few minutes on the loo or to get your gear sorted out then no worries. Start the day calm.

The worst option is to ride in a big group. Then you have to wait while they all go for a pee or until they have all paid for the fuel or finished their tea.
Then later on you cannot stop for a cigar or to put on your long-johns or waterproofs because they are still moving.
And they go faster than you are happy with or they go slower.
All of which adds to your risk.

Ride at your own comfortable speed and make casual links on the way, joining or leaving others because it suits you.

Most important - don't waste time. Ride-Stop-Fuel-Ride.
Think about the difference between doing that last 100 miles after being awake for 17 hours and those same 100 miles after being awake for 22 hours.
Cannot emphasise this enough. Don't waste time. It just means that you are awake for longer and increases the risks of riding while tired.

And big meals just make you sleepy.

Those are my thoughts, other opinions are perfectly valid. That is what works for me.

Oh, I forgot to say. It is huge fun. Brilliant ride.

Do you want to link up for the ride to Squires ?

Last edited:
Hi Bimbler,
thanks so much for your advice and makes alot of sence, so far i have aranged to ride the route with a mate from the rblr in in ,in cornwall just so aint doing it solo lol, but yes deffintly not a good idea to ride in a massive group etc, and yes would love the company to ride up to squires mate, be bit safer cpl of us travling up, and i was looking at simular starting time etc, how far in advance do u recon for booking a room at premiur inn, would expect this has a lot off ppl looking for bnbs etc as looks a big event

first thing like this ive done but drove car stuipid amount of miles up n down motorways etc but will be practiceing on bike bettween now and then any weather lol but well excited for it and looking forward to scottland as not been there since holladaying as a kid with my grandparents lol and thought about maybe fitting a cpl cams to bike etc so can take in the views without stopping much then will have the pics on cam afterwards

Bimbler here!

Welcome Matt.

Every year I think of doing a different route and then I end up with North-Anti. (I like the M6,M62 at the end.)
The worst bit is getting past Birmingham from Cornwall on Friday to reach Squires. Cars sat in the right hand lane and not moving out of the way. (Grumble,grumble).

Plan on starting on Saturday at 0500 and a bit. There is a start "window" and there is no need to rush to be there at exactly 0500 but use the daylight.
So if you need to spend an extra few minutes on the loo or to get your gear sorted out then no worries. Start the day calm.

The worst option is to ride in a big group. Then you have to wait while they all go for a pee or until they have all paid for the fuel or finished their tea.
Then later on you cannot stop for a cigar or to put on your long-johns or waterproofs because they are still moving.
And they go faster than you are happy with or they go slower.
All of which adds to your risk.

Ride at your own comfortable speed and make casual links on the way, joining or leaving others because it suits you.

Most important - don't waste time. Ride-Stop-Fuel-Ride.
Think about the difference between doing that last 100 miles after being awake for 17 hours and those same 100 miles after being awake for 22 hours.
Cannot emphasise this enough. Don't waste time. It just means that you are awake for longer and increases the risks of riding while tired.

And big meals just makes you sleepy. You won't die of starvation during the one day. Water and nibbles.
I take a pack of little water bottles and and a pack of cereal bars. The first double espresso on the M6 at around 8pm sets me up for the rest of the evening.

Think about a Premiere Inn or similar for Friday and Saturday night. Get it right and you will be asleep from 2200 to 0430 on Friday night and 0200 to 1130 on Sunday. (Checkout at noon).

Those are my thoughts, other opinions are perfectly valid. That is what works for me.

Oh, I forgot to say. It is huge fun. Brilliant ride.

Do you want to link up for the ride to Squires ?

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
I will be over the next few weeks doing the rounds of the hotels and trying to get some deals together once sorted I post on forum
What I do is book premier inn so I can cancel then watch for the deals which you have to pay up front. But then cancel your first booking that way if no deals come along you have room booked

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
What Graeme said :D

I usually book either of the three local Premier Inns below:

Castleford Exscape
Castleford M62 Junction 31
Pontefract North.

The Exscape one has a 24hr garage jusr round the corner so handy for topping up the night before or early before the start. It's only a 10 minute ride to Squires too. :)