4 Nov 2023 Premier News

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
4 November, 2023 Premier News released via email today. It’s focus explains the differences in IBA ‘Advanced Rides’ and highlights these date-specific upper-level ride opportunities in November.

Gotta say, I’m kinda passionate about our Veterans Day ride … Thinking this date effects few L-D riders worldwide … in that ‘The Great War’ was the war to end all wars.

You can find November’s rides and their ride-rules here on the IBA’s Rides Of The Month page:

https://ironbutt.com/themerides/rotm/

Ride Safe!

Mentioned in the above news release email referenced some people question a SS1000 Gold.

I rode the SS1000 Eclipse Gold and a Mothers Day Gold. Neither were a walk in the park.

Both required a lot of planning and required things to go right, almost perfect.

With the Eclipse Gold there were the crowds/traffic plus correct timing were added to the challenge along with other requirements.

The Mothers Day Gold had the hours places were open to deal with. I did not find any flower shops open on Sunday and many either were closed or closed early on Saturday which complicated meeting the other requirements.

My take is, yes the SS1000 Gold rides sound easy but actually riding one is a challenge worthy of the Gold.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mentioned in the above news release email referenced some people question a SS1000 Gold.

I rode the SS1000 Eclipse Gold and a Mothers Day Gold. Neither were a walk in the park.

Both required a lot of planning and required things to go right, almost perfect.

With the Eclipse Gold there were the crowds/traffic plus correct timing were added to the challenge along with other requirements.

The Mothers Day Gold had the hours places were open to deal with. I did not find any flower shops open on Sunday and many either were closed or closed early on Saturday which complicated meeting the other requirements.

My take is, yes the SS1000 Gold rides sound easy but actually riding one is a challenge worthy of the Gold.
Appreciate your post Jerry; especially your candor.

yon

Premier Member

The Mother's Day Gold is no joke. Took a lot of planning and searching to find a flower shop that would be open, was at least 150 miles from other planned flower shops, and was in an location that made sense for a SaddleSore. Multiplying that by x4 made for a real headache.

And that's not even including the ride itself, were you had to make sure you didn't get delayed at any point along the ride, or it was possible to miss that last flower shop by a few minutes, ruining your chance at the gold. I can't even imagine trying to do the BBG version of this ride.

Last edited:
Almost happened to me, no last flower, no last receipt.

I saw I was going to be hitting my last one at or after closing. Add to that the heat in west Texas was getting to me, requiring a short stop to pour water on myself to cool down.

I called the last florist, located in Lubbock, and begged her to stay open a little longer and offered her $100 if she did. She laughed. She said she and her husband were MC riders and she would be there late anyway. She told me to knock on the window if she was closed.
I got there about 10 minutes late, knocked on the window, and she let me in. She even took a picture of me, my flower, and motorcycle. She started to refuse payment but I told her I needed a receipt. She refused any extra. I got the Gold.
Praise the Lord.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Almost happened to me, no last flower, no last receipt.

I saw I was going to be hitting my last one at or after closing. Add to that the heat in west Texas was getting to me, requiring a short stop to pour water on myself to cool down.

I called the last florist, located in Lubbock, and begged her to stay open a little longer and offered her $100 if she did. She laughed. She said she and her husband were MC riders and she would be there late anyway. She told me to knock on the window if she was closed.
I got there about 10 minutes late, knocked on the window, and she let me in. She even took a picture of me, my flower, and motorcycle. She started to refuse payment but I told her I needed a receipt. She refused any extra. I got the Gold.
Praise the Lord.
And well deserved!