50CC - Tridents (anyone tried to get this certified)

Has anyone done a 50cc Bangor, WA <-> Norfolk VA? It seems many people have starting/ending point references in Seattle but think the two sub-bases (or as close as can be without military ID) would be sort of interesting.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Has anyone done a 50cc Bangor, WA <-> Norfolk VA? It seems many people have starting/ending point references in Seattle but think the two sub-bases (or as close as can be without military ID) would be sort of interesting.
Well, one problem is that Bangor isn't on the Pacific Ocean and Norfolk isn't on the Atlantic (although, at about 5 miles from the ocean, Norfolk would probably be acceptable. But Virginia Beach would be a much better choice).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Well, one problem is that Bangor isn't on the Pacific Ocean and Norfolk isn't on the Atlantic (although, at about 5 miles from the ocean, Norfolk would probably be acceptable. But Virginia Beach would be a much better choice).
You said pretty much what I was anticipating; sort of - I should have titled it, has anyone tried to get this certified? I do know that people have been certified from Seattle to NY. Given that Bangor (on the Hood Canal salt water) is significantly closer to the Pacific than Seattle or Norfolk is further from the Atlantic. Would it be sufficient to be certified as acceptable or because neither side is officially on the ocean it would be rejected?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It would be up to the verification team to make the call.

/soapbox on/

I'm constantly amazed at how many folks try to push the rules as far as they can, even if there is no practical reason to do so. I see folks who, if we say we want a ride documented every 300-350 miles ask if it's OK to stretch it to 400 miles. Or do a 100ccc by starting and ending in Kansas City, claiming the mileage would be the same. Or want to complete a ride that is exactly 1,000 miles, even at the risk of falling a mile short. Why start a 100ccc in Norfolk and risk it not being accepted when Virginia Beach is five miles away and meets both the letter and the spirit of the ride?

My advice is if we say document your ride at least every 300-350 miles, do so. If we say a ride must start and end on the Atlantic or Pacific, do so. If the minimum mileage for a ride is 1,000 miles, add some cushion to be on the safe side.

/soapbox off/ :)

Ira

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you are going to do actual Submarine Bases your choices Would be Naval Submarine Base New London in CT, Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay in GA, Naval Base PT Loma, in San Diego and Naval Submarine Base Bangor in WA. If it was Tridents you wanted your choices are Kings Bay and Bangor. We do homeport Attack Submarines in Norfolk along with a whole host of other ship types there are no Tridents.

If it was just Submarine Base you wanted the easiest would Kings Bay to Point Loma

Ira, there is no soap box required as you already answer the question and I was merely poking the bear. That was fast though so I'm guessing you have that readily available to copy/paste - ;)

Russ, thanks; I don't know why I thought they were at Norfolk but even being in Kings Bay the base is on an inter-waterway so they aren't viable unless Fernandina Beach or similar was utilized which puts it ~3000 miles.