A HOT SS1600. December 2023

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With Christmas just around the corner, it was time to squeeze in one more ride before the end of 2023. Having done zero preparation, a simple out and back route was in order. Saddled up and rode out of the garage to collect my starting docket from the local servo, I was on the road out of Canberra just after 2;00am Saturday.

Starting docket. Lets get this show on the road

It was a perfect night for riding, low to mid-teens weather, the stars were out, and absolutely no traffic on the federal highway. Other than a few rabbits and roos grazing on the side of the road, I have the night to myself. That all changed once I joined the Hume heading for Sydney, with the usual collection of trucks. Worked my way through the city and stopped at Milsons Point for the first photo of the ride, just on sunrise.

Sunrise over Sydney Harbour

The ride up to Newcastle was uneventful, in the early morning sun, pleasant temperatures. Took the turn off to Buckett Way to head for Gloucester to enjoy some corners, before heading back to Taree where I joined the Motorway to head north to Urunga. Cruise control on, while I worked my way through the playlist of songs watching the miles roll away.

Making hay while the sun shines?

Urunga was my next stop, with time for some lunch. The temperatures were now in the mid-high 20’s and heading up, so I made sure to hydrate well before pointing the bike southwards to work may way back to Canberra.

Taking a moment in a shady spot beside the Bellingen River

Oceanview Hotel, Urunga. Time for lunch

Just after midday heading towards Port MacQuarrie the temperature rose steadily into the high 30’s before peaking out at 42 degrees between Taree & Newcastle.

Nabiac, with the temperature hovering around 40 degrees

It was HOT! I took some time off the bike at Ourimbah to cool off eating an ice-cream in the airconditioned service station, and also topped up the Camelbak before continuing southwards.

Cooling strategy in action. When its 40 degrees plus!

Between Newcastle and Sydney there was a sea breeze that lowered the temperature to the mid 30’s which was bliss. Through Sydney and into the southern highlands, it was almost cold with the temperature dropping into the high 20’s.

Lake George in the setting sun

Bungendore, and time to head for home

I detoured out to Bungendore to get up the miles and then finished off with a lap around Lake Burley Griffin to celebrate another saddle sore complete.

Black mountain, on my lap of Lake Burley Griffin.

Job done!

A great day out, with 1,653kms on the clock.