Alaska 2024

I am planning a ride from Milwaukee to Fairbanks Alaska and back. If anyone is interested in joining me let me know. Also looking for blogs about riding in Alaska.
Kappie

What dates are you looking at? I am in the planning stages for a similar trip as well, in either 2024 or 25. I will be starting from VA, going all the way to Prudhoe Bay, and if time permits to Tuktoyaktuk as well. Not sure if I can do multiple trips to these places and hence trying to get enough time lined up to reach both locations in the same trip.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Planning on mid May 2025 myself.

I may be flying into Alaska and renting a bike from MotoQuest rather than riding from Tennessee though. Renting would save some precious PTO/Vacation hours for me with that 6000+ miles / 100+ hours of riding just to get to and from the Yukon.
I am still on the fence. If I can put together enough time off I still might ride but it would be a long shot and really cut into the time I can spend in Alaska and the Yukon.

nudihjn

Premier Member
Keep me in the loop as well.

Exploring both riding from SC or flying into Anchorage & renting from Motoquest. Just got a quote yesterday from Motoquest for a 12 day rental for an R1250GS in June 2024 to get an idea of cost. Open to 2024 or 2025 at this point…Just fyi, the guy from Motoquest said that rentals go fast, & to make reservations 6-9 months in advance if planning to rent a bike in Anchorage.

Rough quote for a BMW R1250 GS for 12 days in June 2024 was $2580.00…

Last edited:

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I meet with a couple of the guys from MotoQuest at the BMW MOA National rally last month to discuss the trip. I am fairly certain I will not be able to pull off 2024 so my target will stay fairly fixed on 2025 I think. It was due to their suggestions I moved my target up a couple weeks from June to Mid May.
Another part of my plan is to keep the wife happy and fly her out with me. I am thinking about spending about a week of non bike tourist travel with her and then 10 day to 14 days on the bike exploring other areas. She may join me for a bit of that but then probably fly home before I head North of Fairbanks. I will likely go for the smaller mid size rental, 750 or 850, instead of the big 1250. If I was riding to and from I would certainly want the 1250 though.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
What was their reasoning for that? I've thought about Alaska as well, and would like to know.
Further into June you go the wetter it is likely to get apparently.
More dry days in May as long as you do not mind a few degrees cooler on average. I am good down to mid 40's Fº without heated gear and down into the 30's Fº with heated gear so the slightly lower average temps do not concern me.
Apparently you are also likely to see more of the season change with more blooms and more prevalent wildlife coming awake after the long winter. His opinion was that the best time to see things like brown bear was the last two weeks of May.
Apparently the flies and mosquitoes get worse the later in the season it gets.
Finally, June 1 apparently begins the infestation of Alaska's greatest nuisance pest, the recreational vehicle.