Apologies if this is covered somewhere I can't find: in-state ride, border crossing to another part of the first state.

so I'm planning an in-state ride in Kentucky. My goal is, roughly, a lap of the state which equals just over a SS1k. I'd like to, as an organizing principal, visit the north, east, and west-most paved point in the state.

Here's the trick: to get to the west most paved point in Kentucky, you must cross into Tennessee. There is a small, few-hundred-acre portion of Kentucky that is non-contiguous because of an earthquake changing the route of the Ohio river. I care very much about following the rules of the certification, and as written, I do not believe I can go there on the trip because it is not a border-crossing for any safety reason.

I don't know how many other states have non-contiguous portions- Michigan, obviously, but there are likely others- so I have to think this has been discussed before.

I will be crossing and crossing back at the same point, so that part of the rules I will satisfy. Does anyone know how I should handle this?

Mike721

Premier Member
Wow, that's a crazy situation, I had to find it on the map to understand it, that's so weird how that happened.
I have no idea what the answer might be though.

Capture.JPG

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
For an in-state ride, the rules are clear - you cannot leave the state except for safety reasons. If doing what you suggest was the only route you could plan that would allow you to do an in-state ride, that would be one thing. But it isn't. The only reason you would like a dispensation is that you also want to hit all four corners of the state. Such a dispensation would not be granted.

On the bright side, this gives you the perfect opportunity to plan a second SS1K that is a four-corners ride of the state. Although it is not one of our standard rides, we would be happy to work with you if you would like the certificate to recognize that fact. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

For an in-state ride, the rules are clear - you cannot leave the state except for safety reasons. If doing what you suggest was the only route you could plan that would allow you to do an in-state ride, that would be one thing. But it isn't. The only reason you would like a dispensation is that you also want to hit all four corners of the state. Such a dispensation would not be granted.

On the bright side, this gives you the perfect opportunity to plan a second SS1K that is a four-corners ride of the state. Although it is not one of our standard rides, we would be happy to work with you if you would like the certificate to recognize that fact. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
I'm all for another ride. The challenging part I've been trying to figure out is "southern-most". East, West, and North points are defined geographically, but the southern border is set by survey- 36 degrees, 30 minutes is the section on the west that goes furthest south- so there are a LOT of points that tie for southern most in kentucky.