B2B Border Insanity Crossing Docs

CRASH

Premier Member
What documents are required to get into and out of Mexico and Canada?
I don't plan on going more than going into Mexico, getting a start receipt and then coming back out. I see several lists and such and think there is probably a way to get a lot of this "pre-done" ... I really have no desire to get off my bike in Mexico period.
In Canada I plan to spend a week or more riding around once I get there.

Also any tips on crossing? I read a lot about left lanes, splitting, NOT being in the Sentri/Moto lane etc.

Planned route is San Luis to Coutts.

Thanks

Dan

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Dan, good luck on the B2b ride. I too used crossing in Coutts and San Luis. I chose to start in Coutts (even though I live in AZ) I rode up to Shelby, MT and spent the night at a Best Western hotel. Got plenty of sleep and rode into Coutts in the morning. There is a Duty free liquor store just north of the border. That was my start. The managers were very friendly and familiar with IBA riders and were honored to be our witnesses. We crossed into Mexico thru San Luis some 21.5 hours later. Both crossings required a passport or passport card. It was very easy. The only thing I will caution you on was the coming back into AZ thru the San Luis POE took a lot of time. That is a very busy POE. Had i chose to start the B2b in in Mexico, I would have chosen the Algodones, POE which is much less busier but not open 24 hrs like San Luis. If using Algodones you would have the same route to Coutts. I absolutely enjoyed the B2B ride.

Good luck

Steve

CRASH

Premier Member
Thanks. If you are staying in the border zone in Mexico, you don't need special insurance and virtually no vehicle documentation other than registration?

Also, is it the norm in Algodones to have motorcycles move to the front like the other areas?

What is the easiest way to get a receipt in Mexico? I was hoping a gas station, but from what I hear that is not really a definite or all that safe.

I figured it would be easier north to south, but once I get north, I spend a couple weeks riding with a friend up there and I would rather do the B2B before than after.

Last edited:

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Dan, the only documentation I needed was a passport or passport card. I did not purchase Mexico insurance. When I entered Mexico I went about 4 blocks until I hit a bank and used the ATM. I did not withdraw money I just checked my balance and printed the receipt. In Coutts, I stopped at the Atlan duty free store and purchased a candy bar. You can actually see the duty free store at the POE. If you choose Algodones, I believe the POE opens at 6am. There are all kinds of businesses there that open around 8am. Which you can actually see while at the POE. For me, I liked the ATMs in Mexico. Off the bike for about 30 seconds to get a receipt and a photo and I was back on heading back to the POE. You could always stay in Yuma the day before prior to the B2B and the ride a short distance to either San Luis POE or Algodones to being your ride. Good luck.

I am planning on a border to border this year. Can anyone tell me the most recommended starting point or crossing and ending point. I am wanting to finish this in less than 24 hours. I would appreciate your input. I am looking for the best texas crossing back up New mexico and to Canada.

Last edited: