Border to Border Insanity

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Greetings, myself and other IBA riders will be doing a B2B the first week of June. We will ride from AZ to Coutts, AB. There we will get rest and then begin the ride. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Coutts, AB and whether there was a good place to get a starting receipt. There does not appear to be much in the way of a gas station nearby, or at least that I have found. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We hope to ride to Algodones, MX from Coutts in less than 24 hrs.

Hello Steve,
Will Hardy manages the Double Tree Motel in Coutts. He has been helpful in providing receipts in the past. He was thinking of retiring and selling when I spoke with him last fall, so you could give him a call. The US/Canada border crossing can/will let you time-stamp the witness form, alternatively, Milk River is an option.
The Sweetgrass/ Coutts border is open 24/7, but Los Algodones isn't. The last I checked that entry opened at 6:00am. Tip: don't get in line with the cars. Get your documentation and cut in line. They expect it (and suggest it). Also, Salt Lake can be tiresome, try to time your ride around the traffic. The extreme ride is very doable if you target Yuma in your routing on the way.
--Chelsea

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Chelsea, thanks for the update. I will call the Double Tree this week. Also, thanks for the heads up on SLC, I will make sure our timing puts us thru SLC during non-rush hour . Additionally, this ride is scheduled to take place over the weekend so that will be helpful. Just curious, did you take US-95 on your ride? If so, how was it? It looks like a 2 lane road and can be slow. I have never been on it.

Thanks for the advice!

Steve

Steve Bell, post: 4689, member: 356"]Chelsea, thanks for the update. I will call the Double Tree this week. Also, thanks for the heads up on SLC, I will make sure our timing puts us thru SLC during non-rush hour . Additionally, this ride is scheduled to take place over the weekend so that will be helpful. Just curious, did you take US-95 on your ride? If so, how was it? It looks like a 2 lane road and can be slow. I have never been on it.

Thanks for the advice!

Steve
Hello Steve,
US-95 is a good road. Take it to I-8 and go through Yuma to get to the Los Algodones border crossing. Beware of wind gusts.
The weekend traffic through SLC is consistent. You shouldn't have a problem.
--Chelsea

Another_Rider

Premier Member
Steve,
I should have mentioned that Shelby MT has a few hotels that might also be an option for you. Being in the USA and only 35miles from the border, it may be a good alternative other than using The Double Tree in Coutts AB. But, of course you will back-track and add a half hour to your body clock with this option.
I use The Double Tree partly because it shaves time, but also it supports a non-chain business. But, Shelby is a viable choice.
--Chelsea

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Thanks Chelsea. We have been looking at Shelby, MT as an option to get some rest. Time is fast approaching and looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for all of your insight.

I am planning a B2B ride the second week of June to go from Palomas Mexico to Ounger Saskatchewan. I am avoiding the Juarez crossing because of congestion. I have questions about getting a receipt for purchase of an item and how easy that is in the early morning hours. Palomas is open 24 hours. Will the border guards be willing to sign your witness form usually with a time written on it and use that as a starting point? My second question involves insurance in Mexico and Canada. What is needed? I checked with Progressive and they offer coverage for a day for $26, but only for the day registered. Or do you have to purchase the Mexican insurance just to turn around and go back to the USA? Any help is appreciated for sure!

Dwight Olson
IBA 35747
Enid OK

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If you're planning on a very early start, where the border crossing time is not an issue, you could obtain your starting witness and starting receipt on the US side of the border, then cross over to Mexico, take a photo of your bike on the Mexican side of the border, and ride right back across.

If you do that, the probability of getting into an accident is minuscule. In such a scenario, I wouldn't even bother getting Mexican insurance (which isn't required, just very good to have if you're spending time in the country). But there are plenty of outfits on the Internet that will sell you a day's worth of insurance.

Ira

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So, all we need is a photo in Mexico and not a receipt?
As the rules state, in part:

Please note: You must prove you crossed the border with your motorcycle to both Mexico and Canada. Due to the langauge difficulites, we are flexible on documentation but still, the burden to prove you made the crossing is on you.

Some acceptable forms of proof include:

- Written statements from Customs agents that you crossed the border (use witness form). Be warned that these maybe difficult to obtain.

- You may cross the border and obtain a time/dated receipt for a purchase and then cross back into the USA to obtain the ending witnesses.

- Pictures are also considered evidence on this ride that your motorcycle was in Mexico and Canada

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Rony, I usually take it to the dealer because I usually have maintenance needing to be done. So I get them both knocked out at the same time

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I did my B2BI, I also used Los Algodones as my start point. I managed to get a computer generated receipt from a grocery store, you won't get anything but hand written stuff from the gas stations. I also augmented my proof with photos and my SPOT track.
The border crossing was quick and easy. The one thing that really stands out for me about that ride, was the wide range of temperatures I encountered in the 23 hours it took. Doing it on Sept 7, 2011 had me in 110 degrees in the shade in Yuma, and in the mid 30's in the higher elevations at night in Utah. That's a temperature differential of more than 70 degrees!
It was a challenging ride, particularly because I did it on an older H-D Road King, with no cruise control, and only a 5 gallon tank. I think I stopped for fuel about 15 times.

Best of luck to you on your attempt.

Garry

Steve Bell

Premier Member
All, thanks for the advice and info. Doug Tessendorf and myself just completed the B2B insanity. It was an epic ride. We rode from Phoenix to Shelby, MT and got a hotel for some well needed rest. The following day we crossed into Coutts, AB and stopped at the Atlan duty free store to get a starting receipt. One of the cool things was that the manager and his wife were familiar with the IBA riders and volunteered to be our starting witness without even asking. Apparently, they have been witnesses for several riders in the past. Crossing back into the US was very easy through the POE. We traveled south on I-15 till Las Vegas. Traveling in Montana and Idaho were awesome. Very pretty scenery and awesome temps. South of St. George Utah the heat was turned up. We were aware of the heat and made sure we maintained hydration. We arrived in Yuma about 4am and decided to cross into MX through the San Luis, AZ POE instead of Algodones because we would have had to wait 2 hrs for Algodones to open. Anyway, crossing into MX was easy. We obtained a ATM receipt to end our ride. It took us about an hour to get back across into the US. All in all itwas a fantastic ride. We completed the B2B at about 22 hours. Thanks for all of the advice. You helped make this ride phenomenal!