Certifying "other" Riders Questions

1) My wife is interested in joining me for her first SS1K. She will be a passenger, and not a Rider. How do I add a pillion/passenger to my ride certifications? Will she get her own IBA number?

2) I have several other people that want to accompany me on an IBA ride, but will be riding their own bikes. I am the only one that has a Spotwalla tracker account. Is it possible for us ALL to use this one track? If so, how would we go about documenting it? (Perhaps take a photo of all of the bikes together at both the start and finish?). Additionally, is it possible for ME to submit all of the paperwork for the other riders, since the ride would (theoretically) only need to be verified once for all the group Riders?

Thanks for any clarification on these.

Cheers!

Jim

When I have had a couple of folks join me on a ride, I normally give them the link to spotwalla and put their mileage at each stop on my spreadsheet along with mine and let them attach a copy of my spreadsheet & spotwalla to their application. Also on the application, it asks if any rode with you, that is the place to list your passenger, who will get her own IBA number for being on the back and will be listed on the cert as a pillion. And also the proper place to list the other riders so that the IBA folks can link the different applications since everyone should have the exact same locations for start, fuel and finish

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
1) My wife is interested in joining me for her first SS1K. She will be a passenger, and not a Rider. How do I add a pillion/passenger to my ride certifications? Will she get her own IBA number?

2) I have several other people that want to accompany me on an IBA ride, but will be riding their own bikes. I am the only one that has a Spotwalla tracker account. Is it possible for us ALL to use this one track? If so, how would we go about documenting it? (Perhaps take a photo of all of the bikes together at both the start and finish?). Additionally, is it possible for ME to submit all of the paperwork for the other riders, since the ride would (theoretically) only need to be verified once for all the group Riders?

Thanks for any clarification on these.

Cheers!

Jim
1) I direct you to the ride's rules page, at

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html

and specifically the following paragraph:

"You may also complete the ride two-up (with one person doing the piloting, the other being a passenger the entire distance - you may not share piloting duties!). In these cases, the Iron Butt Association issues one certificate, with both rider and passenger on it, but we provide two copies of it; one for the rider and one for the passenger. There is NO additional charge for a passenger, however, if they would like a pin or plate frame, you will need to add that in on the fee schedule page."

You and your passenger each need your own start and end witness forms, but all the rest of the documentation will cover both of you. Include a note that you did the ride two-up. You each will receive your own IBA member numbers.

2) Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Each rider needs to submit their own complete set of documentation, including witness forms, receipts, and ride log along with any additional documentation such as GPS or satellite tracks. Your Spotwalla track is your track and no one else's.

Although you can submit all the rides together, we will be splitting them up among several verification teams. So all of them will not be reviewed by the same people. If you plan to mail them together, please keep each rider's documentation separate so we know what goes with what. Additionally, each rider should pay separately - just because you ride together doesn't mean that everyone maintains their documentation, for example. So it is possible that one or more rides may not, in fact, be certified.

We prefer that rides be submitted electronically, so submitting rides together is a bit more of a moot point. You can certainly prepare (scan, etc.) each rider's documentation and email it to us on their behalf, but if so, you should send one email per rider.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

1) I direct you to the ride's rules page, at

Although you can submit all the rides together, we will be splitting them up among several verification teams. So all of them will not be reviewed by the same people. If you plan to mail them together, please keep each rider's documentation separate so we know what goes with what. Additionally, each rider should pay separately - just because you ride together doesn't mean that everyone maintains their documentation, for example. So it is possible that one or more rides may not, in fact, be certified.

We prefer that rides be submitted electronically, so submitting rides together is a bit more of a moot point. You can certainly prepare (scan, etc.) each rider's documentation and email it to us on their behalf, but if so, you should send one email per rider.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thanks, Ira! I appreciate all of your knowledge and insight!

Jim