Come in Houston

Hello fellow Iron Butt riders. I have been planning all winter for my attempt at the 50CC Quest which hopefully will take place on June 20th (the Summer Solstice), from Jacksonville Beach to San Diego. What has me the most concerned is Houston. My plan has me leaving at 2 am EST and that would put me in the Houston area some 13 - 14 hours later (therefore 2 or 3 pm on a weekday afternoon). What concerns me is the traffic at the time of day and I would appreciate any advice or thoughts from others who who have completed the 50CC Quest going east to west regarding my intended departure time. My second question is concerned a realistic time for refueling - the moment you leave the interstate until you are back moving again? I plan on stopping every 150 miles +/- so it isn't a complete tank fill up. I am riding my 2010 Honda NT700v which you may have seen at the Jax party. Oh, and thank you to all of you who were kind enough to answer my questions as I thought about this adventure. At 74, I am thinking that completing as much of the ride in daylight hours for safety will work best for me. Anyone in Houston want to join me as a "tour guide" to get me through? Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Jim

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I wouldn't over think it to much it's likely not more than a hour delay unless there is some sort of highway closing accident just use that delay time in your planning and relax as you are going through and don't stress it. 50 hours is plenty of time. Same goes really with your stopped time, you're much better off using a conservative estimate and getting that time back if your stops are shorter. The real answer is to make some practice stops and see what you get. do it a few times plan them the same way you would on the ride. As far as Houston goes, spend some time with Google Maps on a couple of weekday afternoons and do a route through Houston from somewhere on I-10 just east of Houston and somewhere west it should show real-time traffic with the delay included and you can compare that time what is says the travel time is during at one in the morning. I suspect you'll really be seeing 30 to 40 minutes delays so if you allow and hour in your planning you be ahead of schedule on the far side. Same with gas stops plan conservative so you're not constantly trying to catch up. The reduced stress will not wear on year as much.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And FWIW the most important thing for me in all these rides is knowing how my body works best. I try not to force myself out of my natural circadian rhythm anymore than necessary, I tend to go to bed at a time when I will sleep and wake up when I wake up and then leave. I am by nature somewhat nocturnal I am always up till midnight or a little later and without an alarm sleep for 8 hours or so. If I try to force myself outside of that to start I pay a price, It usually results in unplanned stops/naps I had an unsuccessful CC50 attempt for that very reason, I had a plan where is was going to bed after a SS1000 to my start location and then sleep till I work up and leave. Long story but I got woke up after about 2 hours had to deal with a bike issue and kind of failed open I tried to reinstate my plan but sleep didn't come I just tossed and turned eventually I had enough and started ou all was fine for a couple hours and I started with the nods pulled in a rest area found a picnic table and got a 2 hour nap, started out again and was fine for an hour or so and the nods came back so I repeat the rest area thing. I was fine after that but would need those 4 hours later when I had an unpluggable flat tire the next day in west Texas after my rest stop. I salvage a couple SS1000's out of it but the CC50 would have to come later.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@ADK Jim - Is this your first IBA ride?

Houston isn't a big deal and you'll miss the worst of the traffic at that time, if it's not a Friday.

Why are you stopping if you don't need fuel? The easiest way to make time is to manage your stopped time. Adding extra stops isn't going to help that. If you're stopping to rest, fix the reasons you feel you need a rest. The bike should be comfortable and ergonomically neutral. You shouldn't need a rest from riding.

Refueling times should be based on how long it takes YOU to do the task. Having an understanding of your approximate time is good, but in the end, the realities of riding mean some take longer than others. (long off ramps, cross traffic, pump issues, receipt issues, bio needs, etc)

If you can't see the station, don't get off the Interstate just because the sign said there was a gas station there. Don't pass known gas for unknown gas.

Identify your re-fuel process and consider what steps you can minimize or eliminate. For every step you do, ask WHY 5 times and determine if it needs to be done and if your answers show you why it can be avoided/eliminated.

Whatever your process is, do it the same way every time. This develops muscle memory and avoids errors. Never, ever, EVER remove your wallet from your pocket for a gas stop. If you do this, you're doing wrong and wasting time and creating a potential for mistakes.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Figure out a plan that works and you can ride, it does you no good to plan a ride your aren't physically able to ride it'll just lead ti failure at best and can be dangerous. The things you have to do to maintain a BBG pace aren't always required.

Jax Beach to SD is 34 hours of seat time at slightly less than 70 MPH avg, if you stop every 150 miles and each stop is 15 minutes that's 3.75 hours so we are now at 37.75 add in 2.25 hours for possible traffic and we are at 40 hours take 6 hours for sleep somewhere in Texas and we have 4 hours to spare.

A BBG is a tough ride and requires all the tricks Eric mentioned you really need an overall avg speed of about 65 to cover the margins you wheels need to be turning.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Can you clarify this? How do you pay for gas? Keep only your credit card in a pocket by itself?
Your wallet has far too many valuables that would cost you dearly if lost during a ride.

I keep a gas card and a more general use credit card in a simple bi-fold tucked in an outer jacket pocket. It also contains my National Parks Pass and an old photo ID as well as a $20 bill for unexpected cash needs. Klim or Stich, I use the sleeve pocket for this. Other jackets I will use what ever outside pocket fits my needs, usually one of the lower ones. I've posted this stuff before, but here are some pics.

0287FAA6-2DC1-4D8B-AA42-5474327A4D5A_1_105_c.jpeg
E2E489EC-34C6-4BDB-8BBD-F88DAC045FEA_1_105_c.jpeg
A9770B4A-B014-4A97-B72D-31F1962FE694_1_105_c.jpeg
My chevron/texaco card acts like a Discover and can be used in almost any gas pump. Also can be used for anything in the convenience store, if needed, (food, toiletries, etc). These cards are duplicates of the ones in my wallet. The companies will give you multiple cards for the same account. I have 4 Chevron/Texaco cards for example, so no swapping the bi-fold from jacket to jacket, the plastic one with the Amex lives in one, the leather with the Visa lives in the other. I typically don't wear the mesh on extended trips, so the NP pass stays in the Klim jacket.

Also, when possible, get Tap to Pay cards. Faster and no issues with sliding the card into the reader.

Your camera should be accessible and useable with gloves on as well. A pen tethered and available and a clip or other method handy to secure the receipts for photos with your odo.

Thank you all for excellent advice & knowledge. Now if the weather cooperates, I’ll be all set. I will put on new tires in May and soon will have finalized the gas stops. Hydration system tested & ready. Again thanks guys! All additional thoughts & suggestions welcomed. Jim

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I ran west to east last spring and honestly Katy Texas to Lake Charles, LA was the absolute worst part of the trip, though still manageable.

I hit San Antonio on the tail of morning rush hour(s) and it was not bad. I got to Katy about 3 hours later and picked up heavy early lunch and late morning traffic. It was heavy but moving at an acceptable pace all the way through to the Louisiana line. It was not enjoyable but did not add significant time to my schedule. If I had to guess It was between 30 to 45 minutes longer to travel that stretch than if traffic had been light (speed limit or higher).
Just be on your toes, some of the worst drivers in the country can be found through there. A never ending supply of texting soccer moms in SUV's and roid raging idiots in pickup trucks. Road rage is the norm not the exception so keep your head on a swivel and keep to yourself as much as possible.