Corner of ride or end of return route receipt

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
OK SO I know that when riding a "square" type route you need to mark the corners or end of a return route in the normal way such as a gas or ATM or etc .....
My question is could a person use a BMR2019 bonus that has been officially scored as the corner or the end of a there and back kind of route ?
Its pretty awesome proof that you and your bike where at a specific spot on a specific day at very specific time :D

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
OK SO I know that when riding a "square" type route you need to mark the corners or end of a return route in the normal way such as a gas or ATM or etc .....
My question is could a person use a BMR2019 bonus that has been officially scored as the corner or the end of a there and back kind of route ?
Its pretty awesome proof that you and your bike where at a specific spot on a specific day at very specific time :D
We much, much prefer that you obtain a computer-generated receipt, especially for the critical start, turnaround, and end points. But if no receipt is available at the turnaround location, then the basic rule that it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by presenting sufficient documentation to do so is in effect. Whether the verification team will accept what you propose would be up to them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Scott Parish

Premier Member
What is the bonus stop?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
What is the bonus stop?
Don't think it matters what the stop is, but I'm certain that there are random bonus points available that are in the BMR like "Be at XYZ at 1:00p - 1:45p BMR time to meet ABC!"

Your proof that you were there would be the electronic scoring that BMR provides that accepted your claim as outlined above. You met ABC at XYZ between those times.

The only issue I see is that you're losing time 'on the clock', since the scoring window may or may not be the same as the window I've outlined above. They are fairly quick with scoring, but it's just a 45 minute window, rather than a 1 minute "I have my receipt from a fuel pump" window.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
My thought was if the bonus stop had a convenient was to obtain a DBR i.e. gift shop/store receipt if a fuel or ATM was not available.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't think it matters what the stop is, but I'm certain that there are random bonus points available that are in the BMR like "Be at XYZ at 1:00p - 1:45p BMR time to meet ABC!"

Your proof that you were there would be the electronic scoring that BMR provides that accepted your claim as outlined above. You met ABC at XYZ between those times.

The only issue I see is that you're losing time 'on the clock', since the scoring window may or may not be the same as the window I've outlined above. They are fairly quick with scoring, but it's just a 45 minute window, rather than a 1 minute "I have my receipt from a fuel pump" window.
Yes the time thing is a issue but I was thinking of a route that had a a BMR bonus where you have to take a picture of a hiking trail head sign that is 75 miles up a mountain road then 75 miles back ..... it would be a significant 150 mile leg that has zero opportunity to get an electronic receipt at or near the end of the road ..... I am probably going to do anyways because looks like a great road to ride ....... I may end up with enough mileage for a SS1000 reagardless

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Go for it and document as well as you can. A time/dated picture of your bike in front of the sign as well as a picture of your bike mounted GPS with position, date and time displayed, and Spotwalla track might be enough for the verification team. I would recommend uploading the pictures to Spotwalla to provide further verification of the location, date, and time. Have fun - the ride is more important than the certificate.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
If you do something like you mentioned how do you prove when the picture was taken? Any date and time can be set in a camera.

When I did the 4 corners tour you had to go to a choice of several specified locations and give them the number of the pay phone found there. Hard to do in today's world. I also had to put the info on a form and mail it back to them from the same location so they had a postmark along with turn in a picture after the trip. I think the modern receipt method is much simpler.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
If you do something like you mentioned how do you prove when the picture was taken? Any date and time can be set in a camera.
Scott's point is to use a second camera taking a photo of the GPS on the bike at that location, again, more corroboration data of proving you and your motorcycle are really at any given lat/long.

Especially if this location is so far off the beaten path that cell service may not be reliable.