Credit card hacked probably during the IBA Party in Florida

MarkG

Premier Member
For those attending the IBA party in Florida last month. Keep an eye on your credit card bills. Someplace along the line my BMW Motorrad card was hacked. I haven't used the card since I got home. Whoever did it waited until yesterday to try and charge things. BMW caught it and declined the purchases. I'll get a new card in a couple of days.

That seems to happen to me once a year. It is a pain to have your card shut down but I am always glad they do as yours did.

One guy I know only carries one card. It was locked on his way home from AK. Good thing his father in law was riding with him. I always have at least 3 in different places + cash in different places.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
CC companies are usually pretty good about sniffing out a compromised card. When travelling on a bike, that's a double edged sword. You have to have a backup system. It's not just cards that are hacked.

One of the other ways they do that, is to watch for multiple small purchases in different states within short time frames. Exactly the kind of purchases we make when riding long distances at gas stations. Knowing that, it's a wise person that has a backup plan. I have three debit accounts with my credit union and have a little cash stashed on the bike.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
You can avoid being locked out of your own card by simply filing a travel notice ahead of time. Some cards will even let you do it online through your account portal.