Dalton Highway

Was in Prudhoe in June on a 2003 FJR.
We originally planned to ride fairbanks to Coldfoot, then overnight and continue to Prudhoe the next day. However, because the weather forecast was excellent for two days and then a forecast of rain, we adapted our plan and departed Fairbanks at 4.00am and arrived Prudhoe early evening. I'd advise you to be adaptable as the weather and road conditions will have a big impact on your progress.
I ran the FJR with Michelin pilot road 2s. Held up very well mileage wise. Picked up quite a bit of damage to the exhaust and belly pan plastics due to big rocks clanging off the underside of the bike. Running at 40-50 mph was fast enough for me on the FJR - seemed to develop a horrible weave at higher speeds on the gravel. Of course, some sections we were down t0 less than 20 mph. Stay off the brakes, use the gears and be prepared to give a handfull of throttle when the front wheel starts to bury itself

is anyone else drove an FJR 1300, if so , what kinf of tire have been used for this...
I always ride with Michelin Pilot Road, is this a good tire for that kind of road or a 90/10 tire would be better???
I have to consider that I leave from Quebec City on week before, so at least 5500 miles to get there and back to at least Fairbanks

thank you

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have to consider that I leave from Quebec City on week before, so at least 5500 miles to get there and back to at least Fairbanks
If my memory serves me correct, I ran the rear Pilot road 2 to over 9,000miles on the prudhoe trip. Not sure about the front...mine was destroyed along with the rim in Canada, so I had to have a new tire...along with a new rim.....

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Anyone ever heard of someone doing a 1000 mile Iron Butt from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay? Seriously considering it this summer.
One of our supported rides is the Haul Road 1000, which goes from North Pole, AK (outside of Fairbanks) to Deadhorse and back. Our records show five riders have completed it (curiously, three of them are named Jack - go figure).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I am thinking of riding my Goldwing from New Mexico to Deadhorse to Key West and back. My only concern is Fairbanks to dead horse. Has anyone ridden a Goldwing on the dirt road? and How was it?

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As most will say - it is not the bike but the rider. On the day I headed north there was a guy on a Harley towing a trailer. He made it. But it does a number on your bike. The dirt will still be there years later.

Rollin'

Premier Member