Earth to Moon Adventure

kyspyder

Premier Member
If it is in the rules it isn't clear to me. I live in Northern KY therefore going from Moon to Earth and returning to Moon makes more sense in general. What I was considering doing was riding from Moon to Earth a couple of days prior to a launch date, and then Earth to Moon on the launch date. I was thinking of having a day between the two rides to visit with friends. Can there be a day or two gap and still be considered a round trip or does it have to be a back to back?

Thanks

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If it is in the rules it isn't clear to me. I live in Northern KY therefore going from Moon to Earth and returning to Moon makes more sense in general. What I was considering doing was riding from Moon to Earth a couple of days prior to a launch date, and then Earth to Moon on the launch date. I was thinking of having a day between the two rides to visit with friends. Can there be a day or two gap and still be considered a round trip or does it have to be a back to back?

Thanks
Short answer: it has to be back-to-back.

Longer answer: The Earth-to-Moon series are just special forms of standard Saddlesore and Bun Burner rides with the standard time limits. As the rules state,
--------------------------
Several combinations of the standard IBA Bun Burner, Bun Burner Gold and SaddleSore rides are acceptible for certification. The following IBA standard rides can be applied to the Earth to Moon Adventure series of rides:

SaddleSore 3,000 in less than 72 hours
SaddleSore 3,000 Gold in less than 54 hours
Bun Burner 1,500 in less than 36 hours
Bun Burner Silver in less than 30 hours
Bun Burner Gold in less than 24 hours
Bun Burner 3,000--2 BBGs back to back
--------------------------------------------------------
So you are fine to do a Bun Burner, spend time with friends, and do another Bun Burner back. But unless you were doing one of the 3,000-mile rides (in which case your time with friends would be very, very short :)) they would be considered two separate one-way rides as opposed to a single round trip.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kyspyder

Premier Member
Short answer: it has to be back-to-back.

Longer answer: The Earth-to-Moon series are just special forms of standard Saddlesore and Bun Burner rides with the standard time limits. As the rules state,
--------------------------
Several combinations of the standard IBA Bun Burner, Bun Burner Gold and SaddleSore rides are acceptible for certification. The following IBA standard rides can be applied to the Earth to Moon Adventure series of rides:

SaddleSore 3,000 in less than 72 hours
SaddleSore 3,000 Gold in less than 54 hours
Bun Burner 1,500 in less than 36 hours
Bun Burner Silver in less than 30 hours
Bun Burner Gold in less than 24 hours
Bun Burner 3,000--2 BBGs back to back
--------------------------------------------------------
So you are fine to do a Bun Burner, spend time with friends, and do another Bun Burner back. But unless you were doing one of the 3,000-mile rides (in which case your time with friends would be very, very short :)) they would be considered two separate one-way rides as opposed to a single round trip.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thank you, it would appear the rules are clear, I didn't want to read them that way. Appreciate your response and clarification.