Falklands Memorial Ride Saturday 30th April 2022

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Vulcan 2.JPG

On 2nd April 1982 Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. Over the following 10 weeks UK Military Forces were mobilised and liberated the Falkland Islands. Part of the Military Response were the Black Buck bombing raids by Vulcan Bombers, the longest bombing missions ever attempted at the time. There are currently 15 Vulcans in the UK. To mark the 40th anniversary of the successful liberation of the Falkland Islands by United Kingdom Forces I intend to visit the locations of all 15 Vulcans starting at 04:00 on Saturday 30 April 2022, the 40th anniversary of the flight of XM607 on Operation Black Buck 1.

The circular route (starting/finishing Norwich Area) is slightly more than 1000 miles. Not as far as the 8000+ miles flown by the Vulcans, but hopefully not as perilous. Also, we shouldn’t need the 18 refuellings required for each Black Buck Mission.

Would anyone care to join me on this ride to remember the sacrifice made by the men and women of our Armed Forces?

Vulcan.JPG

I will PM each volunteer with Hotel Details etc.

Edit, the verified route and details of the ride.

Route.JPG

The ride will start and finish in the Norwich area.

We do have a nominated Hotel but you are free to find alternative accommodation.

The route will be provided as a GPX file before the event, so you can add additional fuel stops if needed.

The shortest route between points is 1008 miles. (proving the SS1000)

This goes up to 1089 miles if you use the quickest route between points.

You will be issued with a Flag and will need to take 11 photos to prove you visited all 15 Vulcans. This will add 15 miles to the route.

A Falkland Islands Memorial Ride Certificate will be available to those who complete the ride.

A Falkland Islands Memorial Ride SS1000 Certificate will be available to those who complete the ride within 24 hours.

Verification and Certificate will be £25 for the ride.

Remember safety is paramount. If you start to feel fatigued take a break.

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
List

01) GSears
02) Fazerphil
03) Steve Clist
04) Safari Ferg
05) Jonnyp
06) Bob Stammers
07) Ahamay
08) DazK
09) :-(
10) Ian M
11) ~Martin~
12) Wully
13) Graeme
14) Gregg Barlow
15) jcata
16) LenJ
17) Martex
18) MadMac
19) Denise

Stickers for the riders, hopefully.
Rectangular sticker.JPG

Last edited:

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
My 25th wedding anniversary weekend. Given that I am disappearing to the US for 4 months in June, I don’t think my wife’s good nature will extend to skipping our anniversary too!

Firstpeke

This sounds like a good idea and I may attend, can't commit at the moment but will seriously consider coming if diary permits....

Since I retired last year I cannot believe I had time to work......

Last edited:

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
As we are starting at stupid o clock and going for 24 hours a good number of these establishments will be closed when we get to them East Fortune for example is £12.00 entry :eek: so it will be a lot of money to gain entry to all of them so will a photo of the gate or sign with the bike in shot suffice?

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
As we are starting at stupid o clock and going for 24 hours a good number of these establishments will be closed when we get to them East Fortune for example is £12.00 entry :eek: so it will be a lot of money to gain entry to all of them so will a photo of the gate or sign with the bike in shot suffice?
PM sent