Fitness?

Dave28117

Premier Member
I've read a number of thread posts from time to time where people are upping their fitness game prior to attempting various rides. I've never really done this myself and never have had issues on rides. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this and how they feel about gaining an advantage against "the ride".

No wrong answers...just curious to hear people's thoughts.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I dropped about 40 lbs and was running 3 miles a day before I did the IBR in '13. I feel like it helped me manage fatigue/stress better and perhaps gave me a better tolerance of the variety of changing conditions I encountered during the event, while sometimes on minimal sleep. That said, it's a strategy and planning game, followed by riding, none of which is a physical activity, at least as I consider it. Hey, I did pick up the bike a couple of times over those 11 days, but I don't think being in a little better shape helped that any.

Ed.

Premier Member
Times I've been fitter, stronger (and lighter...) I have always found myself more comfortable on the bike for longer. Usually not to the point that it makes a difference between success and failure, but more how I feel at the end and how I recover. I few years ago I was weight training regularly which lead to much improved strength generally, but specifically core strength. I really felt a noticeably greater control of the bike due to this and therefore it was less tiring. I am also very aware that when I am fitter/healthier I sleep much better which has obvious benefits.

I do think that, while the type of riding we generally are involved in here isn't particularly physically active, there is still a level of low grade, sustained physicality to it that compounds, especially on multi day rides. Any strength and conditioning preparation I can do to help my body deal with that can only be a good thing.

Vlad

Premier Member
I have found that as I age keeping your core fitness is worth while. Recovery time is definitely reduced if I’m in better shape. Whilst not a physical activity per se it is still an endurance event and more so the longer you go. I can’t speak to road conditions in the State’s but over hear I think appalling probably covers it. So if you’re doing 10000k in a week as we did last week , thats a whole lot of body bashing, a lot of treating your internal organs like a milk shake. Lower fat around your organs and a strong core, say from yoga or Pilates makes a big difference to comfort levels as Ed said. Great for the back too.
Of course you have to do the work…..

Last edited:

Dave28117

Premier Member
I've gone though some weight loss over the past 6 months, but have not done any long rides since the changes other than my I40 and 50CC attempts. I didn't really notice anything different in terms of the endurance, but my riding suit fit a little better. :)

I'm doing a SS1k next weekend, so will be thinking about this along the way. I also recently had an ablation on my lower back done to eliminate some constant paid due to arthritis. I'm curious to see how that treats me too. I never really minded it so much while riding, but getting off the bike is where it came into play.

Dave28117

Premier Member
Let me put it simply, under which circumstances in any sport, event, competition or life in general is being "in shape", fit and healthy NOT an advantage?

Being fit and healthy is always better....always.
Probably more of a question of how fit one really needs to be for LD riding. I'm a reasonably active person with overall fitness for my age. Perhaps it's more of a need for some vs others.

igneouss

Premier Member
The IBR this year had folks with high degrees of fitness and some folks at the other end (like me). There did seem to be a 'general' correlation between fitness and finish standings. BUT there were plenty of exceptions. If that makes sense then you get a 'yes' fitness helps but it's not going to solve problems by itself.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The IBR this year had folks with high degrees of fitness and some folks at the other end (like me). There did seem to be a 'general' correlation between fitness and finish standings. BUT there were plenty of exceptions. If that makes sense then you get a 'yes' fitness helps but it's not going to solve problems by itself.
I fit into my 'stitch. Does that count?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Probably more of a question of how fit one really needs to be for LD riding. I'm a reasonably active person with overall fitness for my age. Perhaps it's more of a need for some vs others.
I believe this is too personal for anyone to answer. I've seen riders that looked totally out of shape and rode circles around those that looked as fit as one can be, there are so many factors that go into the notion of fitness and of course this silliness that we do to generalize it.

If I were to give advice as someone who works out 4 or more times a week and is reasonably fit, consider what hurts, gets tired or generally doesn't feel good and focus on a routine to improve that as a start.

Start small, maybe general light full body workouts, if you're overweight drop a few pounds through simple diet adjustments and see how you feel.

If you feel better and can ride longer/harder, then you're on a good path, if you feel worse then stop.

Never hurts to consult a doctor before changing or starting any routine and a few hours with a trainer to "learn" the proper way to exercise to avoid injury.
Mental fitness is more important than physical fitness.
I believe both are equally important for very different reasons and both benefit each other.

While being physically "in shape" is not a requirement but along with being mentally "in shape" will make a difference. Race car drivers work out.

Go to Jacksonville for the IBA party and see some of what I call hard core riders. There is proof being "in shape" is not a requirement.

Firstpeke

Those of us who are ex UK armed services may remember from many years ago that the term fitness referred to being "fit to fight for 24 hours".....

I would say that I am a long way from being where I was in terms of fit to fight physically, mentally is a different matter, but personal fitness to ride for 24 hours will certainly help anyone to remain alert and able to focus on the task in hand.

There are some folk who can certainly ride long distance and remain alert and able to focus, despite not being as fit and probably as young as we used to be, but it doesn't stop us!

Physical "fitness" is not a pre-requisite to go LD riding, but it will certainly put you in a better position to cope!

The main criteria is SAFE long distance motorcycling, knowing when to knock it off, when to stop and rest or when to simply STOP the ride.

You may get tired and suffer a micro sleep, a nod, a moment when your eyes are closed for more than just a blink, that is when you need to STOP, you may not waken up from the second nod.....

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I was working on getting fit to ride the IBR, I decided the best "fitness" training was pushing miles on the bike - beyond what I was riding previously - mainly because I wanted to see how far I could safely push over 24 hour periods. That included handling all kinds of weather safely.

Once I was comfortable with recognizing how far I could push, how long I could remain alert when riding continuously for longer periods and what I felt was a safe rolling timeframe, I felt I was "fit enough" to finish.

Firstpeke,
You are so right, been there done that.
My first SS1000 taught me a lot about my body. I did a lot of “practice” rides before.

What I learned 15 years ago on that first SS probably saved my life on the Mother’s Gold last year.

I had learned the signals of heat exhaustion and fatigue. West Texas is hot in May. I was able to make the correct choice, either keep pushing for my last florist before closing & die or rest

After a short rest and fluids I made the last florist after closing but she let me in to buy a flower. I made it home in good shape and got the Mother’s Day Gold certificate.

Prepping before rides can indeed offer advantages. Some focus on fitness beforehand to enhance endurance or tackle challenging routes more comfortably. Fitness Own https://fitnessown.com/guide might shed light on strategies to prep effectively for rides, optimizing your performance and enjoyment. While some find it beneficial, others enjoy the ride as is—different strokes for different folks! Exploring fitness for rides could add new dimensions to your cycling adventures, but ultimately, the joy lies in the ride itself.