Heaven to Hell Receipts

Hello all, I am a new member and forgive me if this has been discussed but I coukd not find answers in a search on this forum. My question is, "what is the protocol for getting receipts at the start and finish of the Heaven to Hell ride since there are no reliable DBR's available. I don't use a spotwall. I know nothing about what device to use with that. Does anybody have a quick answer on how to make the start and end legit for that ride?. I see it has been done a bunch. Would becoming a premier member help so you don't have to get receipts? And where do you get your start and end verifications. Thanks in advance.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure where you got the idea that Premier members do not need reciepts... It is witness statements that are done away with for Premier members.

As for Spotwalla and receipts, this is from the rules for that ride at: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/heaventohell/index.html

"Spotwalla.com OR other independent satellite tracking system that will work in remote locations (as of February 2017, cell phone based trackers will not workon top of Pike's Peak, Mt Evans and Bad Water) IS REQUIRED FOR THIS RIDE" (emphasis not added).

-and-

"There are NO RECEIPTS at the top of Mt Evans (Pikes Peak does have agift shop with good receipts) AND Badwater in Death Valley. You should get receipts at the closest stations (for Mt Evans that is Idaho Springs, Colorado and for Badwater we recommend Beatty, Nevada as the pumps as Furnance Creek will not always issue a receipt and can be closed for a variety of reasons). "

Last edited:

mike77

Premier Member
there is a solar powered national park ticket receipt machine at Badwater Basin that gives good receipts ,I used it in 2017

there is a solar powered national park ticket receipt machine at Badwater Basin that gives good receipts ,I used it in 2017
That is great information...thank you. Does it accept cards or only cash. And is it at the sign itself?...did you use Spotwalla?...trying to mess around with the spotwalla and bubbler app now so I know it well before using it

I believe you can do away with a cell phone. If you run a Bubbler PRO, it will store up to 1,500 offline points - uploading them to SpotWalla once back online.
Bubbler pro is the paid version app I see on my phones app store, something has to track me and be on me physically. I have a garmin zumo 396 and I'm trying to figure that out using spotwalla but I'm new to the spotwalla game

Yes, it is. But it's a one-time $9.99 donation, for an excellent app, developed with IBA riders in mind - by one of our community.
Gotcha. ...so many questions tho that are not outlined in the instructions. Does it start tracking once you open the app, is it still recording data when there is no signal, etc...I guess I need to talk with someone personally who uses it...it is great tho so far

Bubbler will track and store your location until it gets cell service. It is possible for it to lose a tracking point if it cannot find a GPS signal in a certain amount of time, check your settings for that parameter.

I'm sure you have figured some of Spotwalla out, and you know that you have to set up a date and time for tracking to occur, with the app running.

Hope I have helped some.

Bubbler will track and store your location until it gets cell service. It is possible for it to lose a tracking point if it cannot find a GPS signal in a certain amount of time, check your settings for that parameter.

I'm sure you have figured some of Spotwalla out, and you know that you have to set up a date and time for tracking to occur, with the app running.

Hope I have helped some.
Thanks, I didn't know you had to choose the date but I did see the calendar. ..like I said instructions aren't all that great, but with some trial and error ill figure it out. I signed up to a spotwalla help Forum too
Still trying to figure out if it starts tracking when you open the app or can you manually start the tracking with it open. That will certainly effect the "time" start stamp

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Reminder: BubblerGPS and Spotwalla are not authored by the same person.

On a ride such as this one, you'd start BubblerGPS (perhaps) long before your ride started (e.g. when you get up, prior to your ascent...or, maybe even before). You'd then mark in BubblerGPS your 'H&H Ride Start' prior to your descent from the mountain. At the end, you'd again make a 'H&H Ride End' mark when you get to Badwater.

When you display the Spotwalla track, the start/stop times - in Spotwalla - would be ~15 minutes prior to your ride start/ ~15 minutes following your ride end time for the submission for your ride to the IBA.

Thus, you may consider having two Spotwalla tracks active at the same time. One track is available for those who may monitor your entire ride length, while the one you submit is only for the Heaven & Hell portion of that ride.

I did this on a couple of remote start rides a few years ago.

Hope this helps!

lnelson

Premier Member
I did this ride this year. The way I did it was to get a receipt at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, there is a store, restaurant, and gas station. I also got a receipt in Idaho Springs, Colorado then rode to the top of Mt. Evans. Used SWconnect (Apple app, same as bubbler) and Spotwalla...Mt Evans was the only location I didn't have cell phone reception. Spotwalla still worked. It is very cold going over Independence Pass and Mt Evans any time of year! I have heard that Pikes Peaks doesn't let you ride all the way to the top any more...can't confirm that though.

I did this ride this year. The way I did it was to get a receipt at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, there is a store, restaurant, and gas station. I also got a receipt in Idaho Springs, Colorado then rode to the top of Mt. Evans. Used SWconnect (Apple app, same as bubbler) and Spotwalla...Mt Evans was the only location I didn't have cell phone reception. Spotwalla still worked. It is very cold going over Independence Pass and Mt Evans any time of year! I have heard that Pikes Peaks doesn't let you ride all the way to the top any more...can't confirm that though.
Great info thank you. I live 100 miles from Mt Evans in Loveland , Colorado so I am aware of the temp changes up there anytime of year. I do mt evans and pikes peak at least once a year, they are great rides. Unless it has changed I was up to the top of Mt evans last year which is slightly taller than pikes. Both stellar rides. I am playing arouND with spotwalla now and have purchased the pro version. I want to make sure I know it well and works when I do that ride. It would be unfortunate to have a hiccup with that when trying to certify that ride. I appreciate your valuable info and congratulations, I am looking forward to it as it starts in my neck of the woods which is fortunate and exciting. Ride safe and thanks again

The top of Pikes Peak is closed for all traffic (except construction traffic) until Summer 2021 while the buildings at the summit (and cog rail) are being renovated. You can get to the top of Pikes Peak but have to park at the parking lot a couple of miles before the summit and then take a (free) shuttle to the top. The shuttle ride back and forth to the top will take at least 30 min during quiet hours and can take over an hour during peak weekends. Until summer 2021, it is probably better to do this ride using Mt Evans since there is no way to get your ride to the summit.

The top of Pikes Peak is closed for all traffic (except construction traffic) until Summer 2021 while the buildings at the summit (and cog rail) are being renovated. You can get to the top of Pikes Peak but have to park at the parking lot a couple of miles before the summit and then take a (free) shuttle to the top. The shuttle ride back and forth to the top will take at least 30 min during quiet hours and can take over an hour during peak weekends. Until summer 2021, it is probably better to do this ride using Mt Evans since there is no way to get your ride to the summit.
Yes...was planning Mt Evans, thank you for this info though. I am now in the know!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Still trying to figure out if it starts tracking when you open the app or can you manually start the tracking with it open. That will certainly effect the "time" start stamp
Not really... I think you are still a little confused how the two interoperate.

Bubbler is an app that creates track points while it is running, provided it has a GPS signal and you have not manually stopped the creation of those points by hitting the "Stop" button. If you associate the app with an account at Spotwalla, Bubbler will upload those track points (along with custom points sent manually) when it is able. Either through the cell network (if you allow it) or only when it has a WiFi network connection, if you prefer. If Bubbler does not, for whatever reason, have a connection to Spotwalla, it will store those track points internally until it does. How many track points it will store internally depends on if you have the free or the Pro version.

Spotwalla is a web site that stores trackpoints sent to it by a multitude of devices (only ONE of which is Bubbler). It will do nothing with that data until a user tells it to. The user (you) creates a "Trip" to decide which (of the potentially 1000's) of trackpoints to display. When you create the trip you tell Spotwalla to show all (or some, if you are using a device that makes more than just Trackpoints) of your trackpoints between The Start and The End of a time period. There may be many many trackpoints outside of those dates that will not show on that particular Trip.

You can create multiple trips that overlap. For example, here is a sreenshot from my 2018 Bubbler track:

Screenshot_20191127-170603_Firefox.jpg

...and here is just a segment of that year from the tracks created during a rally:

Screenshot_20191127-171322_Firefox.jpg

SSSssssooooo..... If you want to share a trip and you want that shared trip to not start until a specific time, then the Trip you create would not start until that time, regardless of how long Bubbler was running prior to that.

:D

Attachments