Hello

Hi All, I’m new here. I ride a Pan European St1300 all my miles are for pleasure

While I love motorcycles and enjoy going toe events forms it’s all about the ride, so having met one or two people have ridden IB events I thought I needed to take a look.
lim based in Norwich. In a couple of weeks I’m taking a trip to Matlock for the day and hopefully in September I’ll do Wales. I regularly do 200 mile days but I’m Thinking I want to be doing 300 to 500 mile days to prepare for a 1000.
Hopefully I’ll see some of you peopl out and about, ride safe.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about asking questions, if you have them.

Working up to 1k days is a progression. You typically will find new things that start to bother you as you ride longer days. Just trying to jump in and ride 1000 miles can lead to excessive stress on the body and potential failure. For most riders, it's a comfortable 18 hour or so day with a nice lunch stop. Do ride some 300 & 500 mile days, but I would also suggest an 800 mile day before you go for the 1k day.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about asking questions, if you have them.

Working up to 1k days is a progression. You typically will find new things that start to bother you as you ride longer days. Just trying to jump in and ride 1000 miles can lead to excessive stress on the body and potential failure. For most riders, it's a comfortable 18 hour or so day with a nice lunch stop. Do ride some 300 & 500 mile days, but I would also suggest an 800 mile day before you go for the 1k day.
Good idea about the 800.

Lots of my riding is on my own, or with my wife as pillion. I love putting in the miles and this seems perfect for me.

EddyC

IBA Member
In order to "train" you could try and plot a circular route around your homebase.
That way you would never be too far from home in case of mishap or fatigue.
Also, I 'd suggest you think about how to perform an efficient stop (petrol, toilet, drink, eat, picture of receipt etc.)
Time them and practice to help you maintain control over your plan.

Good luck and stay safe (and above all: have fun)!
Ed..

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Also, I 'd suggest you think about how to perform an efficient stop (petrol, toilet, drink, eat, picture of receipt etc.)
Advanced maneuver: Set up the bike to do your eating and drinking on the move. Keep in mind that every minute you spend standing next to the bike is another minute you lose down the road.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Commit yourself and sign on for the 2023 RBLR 1000, that will give you 11 months to increase your riding distances. Eating and drinking on the move is a little extreme and here in the UK likely to get you a £200 FPN and 6 points to accompany that, it's seen in the same light as use of a mobile phone while driving and if its in you hand you're guilty. I've comfortable achieved sub 19 hour 1,000 milers without having to rush around, eat or drink on the hoof.

EddyC

IBA Member
You also might want to take a look at "the archive of wisdom" of long distance riding:

https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html

If your aim is not only to do the ride itself, but also to have it certified, don't forget to inform yourself about the correct procedure(s) of documenting your ride (IBA UK?)
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance?
Ed..

agreed eating and drinking on the move is a no no and not needed to achieve 1000 mile days. More important would be choice of route and time of day we live in Britain so expect traffic jams stationary or slow traffic just messes any timings up.
In fact get off the bike occasionally walk about, it'll help with fatigue especially as you're starting out at this. But don't spend to long of the bike you need to keep moving and maintain an average speed. even less than a minute of the bike helps. A good way is to keep fuel stops and receipt stops separate.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Eating and drinking on the move is a little extreme and here in the UK likely to get you a £200 FPN and 6 points to accompany that, it's seen in the same light as use of a mobile phone while driving and if its in you hand you're guilty.
:rolleyes: