How do we interpret the word DAY ?

Roadbandit

To clarify, I'm referring to this as an example. "visit all silos in three connected states in one continuous ride, not to exceed three days"

The way I read this is that the ride should not exceed a 3x24hr period (72 hours) starting from the first DBR. i.e. If I get a DBR at 2pm on the first day, I have 72 hours to complete this ride as opposed to say, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, with these days being midnight to midnight.

Just wanting to check I'm reading this correctly or if there's another interpretation.

Cheers

cjmckay

Premier Member
Interesting question... I would have thought that (albeit likely not the intention) any reference to 'day' would be a 'calendar' day.... but 'at the end of the day....' it is up to the reviewer.

Last edited:

ACTCapo

The way I read this is that the ride should not exceed a 3x24hr period (72 hours) starting from the first DBR. i.e. If I get a DBR at 2pm on the first day, I have 72 hours to complete this ride as opposed to say, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, with these days being midnight to midnight.

Cheers
That would be my interpretation as well.

Biggles

Premier Member
Seems to me like a narrow definition of a "day" in this LDR world. I know the SS1600 etc specify 24 hours, as do some theme rides, like the ANZAC ride that has to begin with an ANZAC Service. Next they'll specify daylight hours just so the silos are at optimum photogenicity. :D
But always happy to bow to the wisdom of my Elders. :p

MIXR

Back in my Gov days when we were working on EBAs, RDOs, Flextime, Overtime, HDA allowances, meal allowances and other timesheet stuff, there was a clear definition that a 'Day' was any 24 hour period due to the number of shifts in operation and on-call requirements as well as variable start and finish times. This included maximum working hours in any one day period before rest was required, and all the other crap that goes with staffing and vehicle operation hours.

Also, a normal day is 24 hours that runs from 0001 to 2359. In the RAAF, there was no such thing as a time equating to 2400 even though we used a 24 hour clock. A midnight shift finish was always 2359 with the dog watch commencing at 0001 (also using a 'date') to avoid confusion.

Most IBA rides are specified as a distance within certain hours. Maybe this is just another one that requires a correction to clarify what a day is, unless there is an overall disclaimer somewhere that any reference to a day is any 24 hour period regardless of start time.

My 2 cents.

Roadbandit

Seems to me like a narrow definition of a "day" in this LDR world. I know the SS1600 etc specify 24 hours, as do some theme rides, like the ANZAC ride that has to begin with an ANZAC Service. Next they'll specify daylight hours just so the silos are at optimum photogenicity. :D
Some of the Silos have a Silo light show and it would be nice to capture that. Hence it would cause me to start at a later hour to optimize arrival times.

It wasn't a question until I decided to start incorporating silo light shows :D

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I believe there are silos specific to daylight hours and some which are floodlit. All part of the research to find put which order to tackle them in.

Dicky Knee

I knew you were a good bloke @MIXR - ex-RAAF here also.
As for the topic, A day consists of 24 hours, no matter which way you slice it. So...if a rider wants to start their ride at 1300hrs, that to me, is when the 'day' clock starts, and that clock will complete one day at 1259hrs (the next calendar day).

cjmckay

Premier Member
Well - it certainly makes for an interesting discussion. From HERE
Trans Australian Quest - '... in less than 3 days.', Tasmania-Darwin Express - '.. in less than 72 hours.' (except that in the rules it states '.... in les (sic) than 3 days.' (It also has the 600km allowance in there but let's not open that can of worms... and whatever you do, do not look here).

I'd suggest there is an 'easy fix' to all of this... but.... I've learnt my lesson :)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Until IBA Aus corrects their ride rules, it's open to intupertation. All rides lengths should be stated uniformly in hours to maintain clarity. The exceptions being the tours, but it really still means hours if you're cutting it down to the wire.

IBA riding days start when you get that first DBR. ;)

Yamrox

Premier Member
Back in my Gov days when we were working on EBAs, RDOs, Flextime, Overtime, HDA allowances, meal allowances and other timesheet stuff, there was a clear definition that a 'Day' was any 24 hour period due to the number of shifts in operation and on-call requirements as well as variable start and finish times. This included maximum working hours in any one day period before rest was required, and all the other crap that goes with staffing and vehicle operation hours.

Also, a normal day is 24 hours that runs from 0001 to 2359. In the RAAF, there was no such thing as a time equating to 2400 even though we used a 24 hour clock. A midnight shift finish was always 2359 with the dog watch commencing at 0001 (also using a 'date') to avoid confusion.

Most IBA rides are specified as a distance within certain hours. Maybe this is just another one that requires a correction to clarify what a day is, unless there is an overall disclaimer somewhere that any reference to a day is any 24 hour period regardless of start time.

My 2 cents.
Agreed - wording should be more specific to “hours”.

Firstpeke

The only ride in the UK, as far as I can find, that requires completion within the 24 hours (00:00:01 to 23:59:59 if you want to be very picky!) is the BBG1500 known as "Fools Gold".....

Otherwise, again as far as can be determined, time relates to hours... 24 hour periods or multiples thereof....

It would not make good sense to limit multi day rides, or indeed ordinary SS, BB, or others, to a "day"... this would cause some serious planning or logistical issues relating to start or finish fuel receipts for some folks!

Of course there are other rides in the UK, shortest ride of the year, completed in daylight only would be one that comes to mind.

Not sure if we still have an E2E Daylight given that now extends to a minimum of 1000 miles as opposed to the original 851 miles from LE to JOG.
I will go away and do some more reading and checking!

I would also have thought that rides peculiar to specific countries may well have slightly different rules to the USA.

cjmckay

Premier Member
ok - so I look at the rules for the new Motorcycle Brand Challenge.

For the 'Insanity' version - the rules state:
'To qualify for the My Brand Rocks Insanity you must do at least four qualifying rides on consecutive days (that is, back to back without any skip in riding days).' and
'To qualify for the Every Brand Rocks Insanity you must do at least four qualifying rides on consecutive days (that is, back to back without any skip in riding days).'

Now, having eyed off this series I had considered the following (doing SS1600Ks as an example):
Ride 1 - Depart Saturday 3am morning, Arrive back 1am Sunday morning.
Ride 2 - Depart 4am Monday, Arrive back 2am Tuesday morning.

Now, if a 'Ride Day' is considered a 24 hour period from the first DBR - this would not be certified (the 2nd ride not being within the window for the 'consecutive days'). However, if a 'ride day' is based on a 'calendar day' (i.e. any calendar day in which a ride is ridden) - then it may have been certified.

Isn't interpretation a wonderful thing?

MIXR

So using CJ's example, if you do 4 qualifying rides on 4 consecutive days, it's all good. What if you do the 4 qualifying rides in 3 days? 4 x SS1600 rides is doable, but it's done in 3 days, not 4. Is that now an illegal ride? Does it have to be 4 rides in 4 days maximum with one qualifying ride for each consecutive 24 hour day?

I think most people just accept that the intent is that the limit is counted in hours per day, that being 24 hours, so you have up to 96 hours to do 4 qualifying rides commencing with the logged start date/time. Finish earlier, no big deal. Unless of course the requirement is specified as each ride being completed in 4 consecutive days with one ride per 24 hour day so that adequate rest is undertaken between rides.

But that would then be a different rule to many other rides like the CC ones where extended saddle time is expected over multiple days.

I would just clarify the rules if there is any doubt that your plan is illegal or won't satisfy criteria. It would have to be clarified with IBA (Mike or one of his authorized henchmen) rather than with your local IBA team as we already know that some poorly written rules are open to interpretation that may disqualify a ride after its done.

Anyway, up to the individual to make a judgement call on how it's interpreted and clarify that before the ride. Probably the whole point of this thread, but it does indicate that seemingly simple rules can be interpreted differently due to some unintentional ambiguity by the originator of the ride who obviously had a clear idea of what they had intended.

Fun, isn't it? I have a fishing trip to get sorted, but this is an interesting diversion. Cheers guys.

cjmckay

Premier Member
So let's take my example one step further (with a minor modification):

Now, having eyed off this series I had considered the following (doing SS1600Ks as an example):
Ride 1 - Depart Saturday 3am morning, Arrive back 1am Sunday morning.
Ride 2 - Depart 00:30am Monday, Arrive back 10:30pm Monday night.

Does this qualify or not? No riding days missed (both rides sit within consecutive riding days) but the 2nd ride is not completed within the 2nd riding day. Note: The wording in the rules states '...qualifying rides on consecutive days...' not '...qualifying rides within consecutive days...'.

Oh the mind boggles....