IB Preferred Mount?

Not to start a brand-war but I'm curious, when you folks go to a rally, are there any particular brand/model of motorcycles you see more than others? STs/ FJRs? BMW RT/GS'? GWs?

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Haha, Yeah, I meant at the finish. :p
During the IBR more FJRs finished than started ... :)

You pretty much see everything from the maojor manufacturers at rallys or at the annual banquet at Jacksonville. From my casual observation there is a large percentage of BMWs (RT, GS(A), K1600), Goldwings, ST1300, and FJRs. Super Tenere's and Vstroms are fairly common as well. Triumph Tigers and Tropheys are commonly seen but usually only a few.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think as Ira said it is mostly the rider. You need a reliable motorcycle that can sustain 11 days of all out riding in all kinds of conditions. It also needs to be comfortable for you to spend 11 days in the saddle.

I have ridden 3 motorcycles in the IBR, Gold Wing, BMW RT and BMW GSA. I think for me the GSA was the most comfortable but it was not the best for long interstate runs.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
During the IBR more FJRs finished than started ... :)

You pretty much see everything from the maojor manufacturers at rallys or at the annual banquet at Jacksonville. From my casual observation there is a large percentage of BMWs (RT, GS(A), K1600), Goldwings, ST1300, and FJRs. Super Tenere's and Vstroms are fairly common as well. Triumph Tigers and Tropheys are commonly seen but usually only a few.
And there is a Sportster that does pretty well too. I forget who rides it. :eek:)

Nice List for Manufacturers, I was surprised to see so few Harleys, the BMWs and Goldwings look right. I used to travel a lot on my Vulcan 800 Classic typically would do 500 to 700 mile days no windshield. Went from Indiana to West Coast and back the long way decided to add a shorty windshield to help a little after that. I did the Saddle Sore run on my Concours 14 that bike is a road beast. I just ride the Vulcan 800 Classic locally now, 23 years old. I totally Love both bikes and can travel at will on both.

Attachments