IBA plate recognized stories

Baxter

My IBA membership/status was recognized twice by complete strangers on a recent trip. I bet that a lot of us have stories to tell about when someone noticed the IBA plate backer on our bikes. I think these stories would be of interest to a lot of us, so please add your own. I'll start with my two stories.

I arrived at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort after completing a combo SS100/BB1500 (verification pending) and asked the clerk to sign the end witness form. She didn't know what it was, but before I could explain, the manager jumped in and said that he would fill it out. So, he and I went to my bike and verified the odometer. Apparently a few people observed what was happening, and by the time I had checked into my room and had supper, people were coming up to me and asking if I was the guy from North Dakota. Even the next day, people were asking about my ride. This was my 15 minutes of fame. And all because of the IBA!

My second story is from the same trip. I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway after staying in the Tail of the Dragon area for two days. I stopped at a rest area/pick-nick area, and a senior rider on a classic BMW boxer started to caution me about riding too fast, falling off of cliffs, etc., completely out of the blue (no criticism intended for older riders in general, after all, I want to be one someday) . I don't know what started him on the assumption that I am reckless and needed a talking to, but it may be that my bike, a Ninja 650R, looks like a supersport even though I would consider it a standard. Also, maybe I just look fast in ATGATT. But while I was trying to deflect the awkward conversation without causing offense, one of his riding buddies noticed my IBA plate backer. Unbidden, this friend pointed out that I'm likely an expert and the unnecessary harangue stopped. Yea!

Please add your own stories, I bet there's some great ones out there.