It's done (almost)

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
You fill them separately then as the level drops in the main tank that creates the vacuum that draws the fuel from the aux tank, if you only fill the aux tank nothing will happen.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I'm off to Dent in Cumbria this W/E at High Laning camp site got the bike loaded with all me camping gear real world test of the aux tank range going for the scenic route via Dartford, Peterborough, Lincoln, Humber bridge, York, Harrowgate, Skipton, Settle on to Dent as the A1 Northbound on any Friday is not something to be messed with,
there is a choice of the George & Dragon or The Sun if i aint in one it will be the other so if anyone fancy's a catch up it will be good to see you.

Ian M

At Harrogate:
you could go to Ripon then Leyburn, Sedburgh and onwards
Or to Pateley Bridge, Grassington, Kettlewell, Buckden then onto Hawes and onwards rather than the A59 and A65 whcih is what the route appears to be

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I'm off to Dent in Cumbria this W/E at High Laning camp site got the bike loaded with all me camping gear real world test of the aux tank range going for the scenic route via Dartford, Peterborough, Lincoln, Humber bridge, York, Harrowgate, Skipton, Settle on to Dent as the A1 Northbound on any Friday is not something to be messed with,
there is a choice of the George & Dragon or The Sun if i aint in one it will be the other so if anyone fancy's a catch up it will be good to see you.
Busy this weekend but going to book a night in Dent myself soon, lovely place.

Enjoy your ride big fella.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
At Harrogate:
you could go to Ripon then Leyburn, Sedburgh and onwards
Or to Pateley Bridge, Grassington, Kettlewell, Buckden then onto Hawes and onwards rather than the A59 and A65 whcih is what the route appears to be
Good point I'll have a look.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Just proves if you keep off the motorways fuel consumption is better 277 miles for 19.5 ltrs that works out at 63 MPG.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Just done the RBLR 1000 i found that i was getting pins and needles and numbness between my shoulder blades stretching too far for the bars if i sat upright and held the bars with my fingertips it would ease also i was struggling to get on or off the bike as it is tall,
so a set of lowering links fitted today (20mm) and a yet to arrive set of bar risers (20mm) i will go out for a 500 mile bimble when they arrive and see if that improves the situation.
Oh and a throttle lock if i can let go right hand now and again that should help.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
My only RBLR woe was a knee pain from having my legs bent in a similar position hour after hour, moving forward and back on the seat and foot pegs gave some relief but it was short lived. I've ordered a set of engine bars with the idea to mount some highway pegs to have an alternative leg position without having to dangle my legs.

Getting on and off - My Used and Abused CBF1000 has a low seat height of 795mm (31") but that doesn't help my ageing bones and joints. After 3 or 4 hours of riding I can struggle, hips and knees, raising my leg over the seat. I sometimes find it impossible and have to resort to stepping up on a foot peg to get off and on, my concern here is how the side stand pivot will cope with the additional loading.

Throttle lock - I fitted a Guami universal throttle lock, it didn't work. I found it difficult to set the lock at the desired RPM because of the flex in the support arm and then as soon as you let go of the throttle it would slowly close. There is a friction adjuster and it was not until the adjuster was tightened to the extent that the throttle would not snap back with the lock off that it would lock on.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While I don't have a CBF1000, I've been stepping on the foot peg to swing a leg over the seat on bikes for decades and never had any sign of damage or fatigue on the side stand or pivot point. It's designed to hold a lot of weight, it will be fine. For reference, I'm 118 Kg w/o gear at the moment and have been around that weight for 20 years or so.

On the Guami universal throttle lock; Get the one for Yamaha dual throttle cables, not the universal one. It's easily adapted to any bike. I've also been using them for 20+ years with good results. Sometimes I cut off the bulk of the locating tab and drill a very small hole thru into the switch housing to install a screw to hold it in position so it won't rotate. Other times I have used a bit of wire and a small metal tab attached to an existing bolt on the bike's switch housing. Much better locking than the universal and takes up less space. Not uncommon to have to adjust a bit as it breaks into the throttle tube in order to stay set when locked at a rpm. Here are a couple pictures of it mounted on a Yamaha XSR700. No way to fit it per original instructions, but this works quite well.
CA125D0F-D09C-49CD-9577-B7E61206E035_1_105_c.jpeg
00CDCE75-D584-42C7-B3AE-33D58E7DDD0B_1_105_c.jpeg

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Quick update, fitted the bar risers this morning tried to fit the throttle lock but the wire for the heated grip comes out above the twist grip there is top and bottom kit depending where the wire is positioned i've got the wrong one so i'm off to Rugged roads www.ruggedroads,co.uk next Monday to change it.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Got the throttle lock sorted 20mm lowering links and 20mm bar risers fitted done about 500 miles so much nicer to ride, went to Debs RTE at Maidstone negotiating heavy traffic in Maidstone feet up at 2 mph were i was struggling to keep my balance before getting my foot down when stopping is much easier, -20mm on the rear +20mm on the bars has made all the difference.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Sergeant seat fitted, vast improvement over the OEM offering a thinly upholstered scaffold board, an instrument of torture as approved by the Gestapo:eek:
New rear tyre fitted Avon trail rider, got 7000 miles from the last one £177.00 fitted to a loose wheel £ 57.00 more than last year.
Brake fluid was changed last week to buy the vacuum kit to do it myself approx £50.00, got my local Yamaha dealer A2 Motorcycles Gravesend £37.50 and i got a coffee.
For something that needs doing every two years it's not worth doing it myself just on cost.

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sergeant seat fitted, vast improvement over the OEM offering a thinly upholstered scaffold board, an instrument of torture as approved by the Gestapo:eek:
New rear tyre fitted Avon trail rider, got 7000 miles from the last one £177.00 fitted to a loose wheel £ 57.00 more than last year.
Brake fluid was changed last week to buy the vacuum kit to do it myself approx £50.00, got my local Yamaha dealer A2 Motorcycles Gravesend £37.50 and i got a coffee.
For something that needs doing every two years it's not worth doing it myself just on cost.
You're all set for The Full Monty then?

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Yes now the bike better than it was last time learn from my mistakes, some research into road closures this time instead of saddle up and go.
I am off to the Lake district 5th May for three days of riding around, drinking beer, talking bollocks, about 600 miles.
End of May three day camping trip at Sunart camping in Strontian, just beer and bollocks no riding around this time 1000 mile round trip.
RBLR 1000 in June, it will be sometime after that, probably September after the kids are back at school.

Last edited: