Just got my Interstate 5 cert in the mail!!

Congratulations!
It looks like you started in Blaine, where did you take your long rest stop?
I was planning that ride for this past summer (I live in Seattle and my kids/grandkids in San Diego) but called it off due to concerns about a hotel stay with COVID restrictions. Hopefully this coming summer, if there is a vaccine it will be safe(r) to be around people and hotels.

Hi Harry,
If this coming summer is more relaxed with travel I would like to do a I-5 south to San Diego and then visit family for a week and try to get a BB1500 on the northbound trip by detouring into Arizona to add miles on the way home.

My wife has done 450 miles in a day and that was beyond her "comfort zone", so no Ironbutt attempts with her onboard!

Congrats again, well done.
Dave

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been thinking about this one myself this winter (assuming a good break in weather for crossing past Shasta - can get gnarly there sometimes) but had been considering a S->N run; I suppose how comfortable you are with LA vs Seattle traffic ^_^

I've driven I-5 near the CA/OR border in winter many times, not someplace I want to be on a bike. Maybe do a Southwest BB1500 or something and save the I-5 for summer?
As to traffic, Seattle is pretty slow but usually not as bad as LA. The big difference is lane splitting is illegal outside California so if you're comfortable lane splitting LA traffic you could plan to hit Seattle in off hours and not worry so much about LA.