Lap Around the South Version 2

Hello friends. Here I go again. Last November I, 2022 I attempted the 'Ride Around the South' 78 hour version and was three minutes late. Dang it! Quitters never win and winners never quit. That's my thinking right about now. So, at approximately 0500-0515 EST tomorrow morning May 22, 2023 I'm going to try it again on my '2020 BMW R1250 GS. You may track my progress here: https://new.spotwalla.com/trips/browse/1?un=BruceHarrisjr. I'll be leaving my home in Burlington, NC headed to Rodanthe Beach, NC on to Key West, Fl. onward to Natchez, Ms. upward to Union City, Tn. and back home to Burlington, NC. 3,638 miles in 78 hours or less. The spotwalla link will not be active until approximately 0500 5/22/2023 EST.

That's all for now...

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
90 ish miles and an hour twenty to an hour thirty left. Looks like he will make it with time to spare this go around.

Last edited:

Dave28117

Premier Member
I calculated he has to be back home by 1130 today to make 78 hours. perhaps I'm off. either way, looks like he should be finished by about 1030 with time to spare. Great job Bruce!

Russ Black

Premier Member
His "Start" Star is not at the nearest gas station were his track shows he stopped and we don't have access to his DBR but he crossed his path in Spotwalla in 77h 06m 56s. Perty Good!

Last edited:
Warning, I've been awake; mostly since 0530 yesterday morning. Going on 31 hours as I write this. Okay, first, thank each of you for your kind and encouraging words. My start time was at 05:18 on Monday and I arrived back today at 10:32. If my arithmetic is correct, it took me 77 hours and 14 minutes to go 'round the South. For me this was my most difficult IBA certificate ride out of about ten I've done in the past. I'm a tired puppy as I write this. Weather with the exception of yesterday riding up from Jackson, Ms. to Memphis, Tn. was, in a word, not nice. Lotsa rain, cold at night. I think I may have two more IBA rides in me, one later this year; "Why to WhyNot, NC on a return trip from California and next year the Ultimate Coast to Coast. After that, my spurs will be hung up. I've had enough at seventy-one years of age to go wailing around the country. Sure do love it though...