Lap of the South

Looks like I may be shot out of a cannon on this one. Probably the closest I'll ever come to know what Neil Armstrong musta felt like when he took "that" first step!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I haven't done the ride. It has a lot of slow spots and you need to deviate from the fastest path to avoid going into KY, which would be out of "The South" as described in the ride description HERE.

Obviously, Key West and Rodanthe, North Carolina are slow in and out runs. Memphis can also be slow, or not, depending on when you go through there. You can't cross the Mississippi since you would leave the South, so a slower run down US-51. I-40 West from Ashville to Hartford or so can suck huge and turn into a stop and go traffic jam in the summer as well. Natchez is also a tourist town and not always a dash in, grab receipt and dash back out with slower roads, traffic and tourists. I would likely choose to go in and out on 98 instead of trying to cut the corner NE on 61 and the Trace. 61 gets a lot of enforcement at times and is a Blues Trail magnet.

This is likely close to what I'd try - LINK

I haven't done the ride. It has a lot of slow spots and you need to deviate from the fastest path to avoid going into KY, which would be out of "The South" as described in the ride description HERE.

Obviously, Key West and Rodanthe, North Carolina are slow in and out runs. Memphis can also be slow, or not, depending on when you go through there. You can't cross the Mississippi since you would leave the South, so a slower run down US-51. I-40 West from Ashville to Hartford or so can suck huge and turn into a stop and go traffic jam in the summer as well. Natchez is also a tourist town and not always a dash in, grab receipt and dash back out with slower roads, traffic and tourists. I would likely choose to go in and out on 98 instead of trying to cut the corner NE on 61 and the Trace. 61 gets a lot of enforcement at times and is a Blues Trail magnet.

This is likely close to what I'd try -LINK
Thank you Eric for your reply and thoughts. I'll be doing pretty much your suggested route except in a clockwise direction leaving from Rodanthe, NC head straight down I-95 etc. to Key West, back up US1,I-95 North to the Florida Turnpike to I-75 North to I-10 East to Mobile up and over to Natchez, etc. Union City, Tn and straight back to Rodanthe, NC. Just a big ole circle.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Looking forward to hearing about your experience. I have some vacation time coming up in October, and have been looking for something to do with it. A "Lap of the South" is one of the options, as is a Ride Around Texas.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Of interesting note in the ride description is that while "You must ride your motorcycle around the southern states and collect DBRs from 4 cities: Rodanthe, North Carolina (the easternmost city); Union City, Tennessee (the northernmost city); Natchez, Mississippi (the westernmost city) and Key West, Florida (the southernmost city)."

It also states "You may start anywhere in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi or Alabama (the South). You must start and end the ride at the same location, i.e. same DBR."

I read that as it not being required to start in one of the corner cities. Just that you need to start and end with a DBR in the same location, making it a full lap instead of just getting receipts from each of the four cities. With that in mind I would not choose to start in one of the slow corners, and Burlington is right on the way, so to speak. No point in doing one of the slow in and out corners twice, IMHO.

If you don't already have a transponder, look hard at the FL EPass and the NC QickPass as options with reciprocity in FL. The EPass does all the FL toll roads, I can't recall if the NC QuickPass does both. No annual fee on the FL EPass either. We have one for the car, along with a TX Toll Tag. The bikes still have IPass and PikePass units.

Thank you again Eric for your thoughts and suggestions. BTW and in case you didn't know it; you're a genius sir! I will cancel my motel reservation in Waves, NC (next door to Rodanthe, NC) and start my ride in Burlington, NC (my hometown) and head west to Union City, Tn. or east to Rodanthe, NC. Haven't quite decided yet which direction to go. With respect to tolls in Florida I have an EZPass for my bike. Do you happen to know if Florida recognizes EZPass? I'll check on the EZPass website sometime tomorrow. Thanks again Eric for your help!

Made a corporate decision today. Leaving home (Burlington, NC) and heading due East to Rodanthe, NC, onto Key West, Fl. up and over to Natchez, Ms. up towards Union City, Tn. and East to the mothership in Burlington,NC. Wish I could ride it as fast as I type it! Now offering my prayers for Dunlop tire corp. to produce and ship mass quantities of their TrailMax Mission front tires in size 120/70 B 19 for my GS. Got a new rear in my garage just waiting to meet it's new dance partner...That's all for now folks.

AirbusFlieger

Made a corporate decision today. Leaving home (Burlington, NC) and heading due East to Rodanthe, NC, onto Key West, Fl. up and over to Natchez, Ms. up towards Union City, Tn. and East to the mothership in Burlington,NC. Wish I could ride it as fast as I type it! Now offering my prayers for Dunlop tire corp. to produce and ship mass quantities of their TrailMax Mission front tires in size 120/70 B 19 for my GS. Got a new rear in my garage just waiting to meet it's new dance partner...That's all for now folks.
Good luck!

Do you have a Spotwalla we could follow?

Good luck!

Do you have a Spotwalla we could follow?
Yes indeede as well as a SpotGen3 tracking device; both of which I will share/provide links to the day before departure. Speaking of departure, my lifelong friend, Mother Nature as always has the last word in out doorsey events. There's a thing/thang called a Hurricane; lotsa wind,water and general mayhem all about. The 'Lap Around the South' might as well be on Hurricane Ally during my planned ride date(s). I have some overdraft protection just in case MS Nature becomes disagreeable in that I can/will move up my departure date, currrently set for 11/1/22 to somewhere during the last two weeks of October. Just gotta keep my phone bill paid so I can keep a close eye on any suspicious movements on the weather channel and a few others. Over n out for now...

Dave28117

Premier Member
Wish I could do the trip with you. I'm in Mooresville. I was looking at the same kind of route as you. I have a rally I'm doing next weekend though. Are you doing the 78 hour timeline or going for the gold?

Wish I could do the trip with you. I'm in Mooresville. I was looking at the same kind of route as you. I have a rally I'm doing next weekend though. Are you doing the 78 hour timeline or going for the gold?
Hey Dave, good to hear from you. I’m doing the 78 hour version. Even then, my projections allow almost no room for error. A Spotwalla link will be provided on Monday the 31st in this thread with lift off scheduled for 0500 11/1/22.