Lobo Loco - The Art of War mini rally 9 thru 11 June 2023

Ed.

Premier Member
Buggrit, I was hoping to be back from work before then and have a look at this one, but it is looking pretty unlikely.

Murphyau

The 2023 Lobo Loco - The Art of War Mini Rally is now "done & dusted", and the results have been published.

Screenshot at 2023-06-12 11-06-58.png

Congratulations to Paul White on his first place.

Our Jeffrey G. rode this rally in Iowa with no local knowledge, and was using this rally as a shake down exercise of his "new" bike in preparation of the IBR next week, while Cameron McK. achieved a creditable first time result.

cjmckay

Premier Member
The 2023 Lobo Loco - The Art of War Mini Rally is now "done & dusted", and the results have been published.

View attachment 10599

Congratulations to Paul White on his first place.

Our Jeffrey G. rode this rally in Iowa with no local knowledge, and was using this rally as a shake down exercise of his "new" bike in preparation of the IBR next week, while Cameron McK. achieved a creditable first time result.

@Murphyau - Thank you for the kind words. Being our first 'rally' it was definitely a learning experience. We started off early with a 2 hour ride (off the clock) to get to our start location). Temp got down to 2.5degC. We then got notified that (some of) our email submissions weren't being received by the RallyMaster (despite showing as sent at our end) so we wasted time trying to deal with that. We somehow seemed to continue to progressively lose time throughout the day and we were working on our key bonus when we got to the location only to find the necessary location now longer existed (store had closed down and moved out - despite our best efforts (not good enough) in planning with Google and StreetView confirming location existed and would be open. The loss of time meant we couldn't find an alternate and the bonus was gone. We pulled in to get our final receipt only to work out we were 40km short of the minimum kms required to be considered a finisher and then ended up eating into our time bank for 'surrender' points. To say the ride was frustration would be an understatement. But, I ended up riding just under 600km in just shy of 12 hours with my 15 y.o. son so I'm not complaining - good memories despite the outcome.

Murphyau

[ << snip >> To say the ride was frustration would be an understatement. But, I ended up riding just under 600km in just shy of 12 hours with my 15 y.o. son so I'm not complaining - good memories despite the outcome.
All the difficulties that you ran into are what makes Rallies so much of a challenge, and so much fun, and that you "enjoyed" these difficulties with your Son is even better.

Good luck for your next rally adventure.

Last edited:

cjmckay

Premier Member
As noted, Rallies are made of disappointments- I could list quite a few of my own. But you are Finishers, and that counts for a real lot! Well done.
If anything, it gives me a whole world more of appreciation (and insight into what it takes) of those that are IBR Finishers. I had a week to plan this 10 hour, 400km ride - I can't imagine trying to do this day-by-day while pulling 1600km+ days for 11 days straight.

Kimmie

Congrats Cameron, Patrick & Jeff - just to qualify as a finisher is an effort in itself.

I've attempted a couple of rallies in the past and DNF'd on them all.....they are not my thing.