M25

Exgreen064

Would it be possible to do a SS1000 just going round the M25, it might make you dizzy but I have seen some IBA city runs qualifying.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Of course, just need to prove you did it. I’m not sure if it’s been done before? I wonder how many laps? I suppose you’d need a tracker to show you went all around rather than cut through or cut corners.
I’ll follow this I’m sure our verifier will chime in.

EddyC

IBA Member
I could be mistaken, but I thought that a road could only be ridden once in the same direction?
So a "lap" is only permissible the first time in one direction and the second time in the opposite, which results in the end of that route for that ride?

Ed.

Firstpeke

Why would you want to?

It sounds like a recipe for a visit to a doctor.....

I have driven and ridden many times on the M25 over many years, since before four lanes and the QE bridge and it is not something I would want to ride around more than once in a day, if at all!

However, each to their own!

EddyC

IBA Member
Found some info on :

https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssserieskm/index.html

... "If you choose a circular route, you will need to obtain a dated receipt at each "corner" to show that you did not take a short-cut. For example, if you choose to ride the circular route of Chicago, Illinois to St. Louis, Missouri to Kansas City, Kansas to Des Moines, Iowa and back to Chicago, we would expect to receive receipts from each of those cities (in addition to the guidelines that follow).
We strongly discourage, and in some cases may reject, routes that are repetitive in nature. For example, we would not accept a claim that you rode five round-trips between Daytona Beach, Florida and Jacksonville, a distance of only 155 km."...

Something to consider ?

Ed.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The way the city SS1Ks work is with live witnesses that are usually IBR veterans manning multiple spots around the 'circle' and keeping track of the rider's laps/times. It used to be you needed pre-approval of the route, and of the witnesses, to do that. Times have changed, but they still discourage circular routes for normal SS rides and there will be additional required documentation if you wish to do one.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
How long is the M25? By my calculation its 118½ miles per lap which includes 5 miles or so of the A282 that connects junction 31 to junction 2 via the QEII Bridge, Dartford Tunnels and junctions 1A and 1B. Your mileage may vary (+/- 175 yards) depending on direction of travel. The idea of saving time by cutting corners on the M25 is a non starter since there are no short cuts and it takes around an hour to complete half a lap vs an 1¾ hours to cut across London.

So 9 laps would make a challenging 1,066 miles, expect high volumes of traffic, variable speed limits and reassuringly expensive fuel prices. Start and finish at a Service Station of you choice, there are four South Mymms and Thurrock are both off the M25 making Clacket Lane or Cobham a better choice. Grab a receipt and odo photo on each lap as a lap counter and I don't see where there would be a verification problem, best to get it pre-verified to be sure, to be sure.

Of interest there have been two 'M25 clubs' that I know of, pretty sure neither exists today. The first was a 'Top Gear' type club where membership was achieved by lapping the M25 in under an hour, of the many claims few where verified and none made entry into the Guinness Book of Records. The other M25 club was a 'M25 lap club', membership was achieved and certificates issued by lapping the M25 in both directions at your leisure but in one continuous drive/ride save for fuel and comfort breaks. There were reports of folk taking over 12 hours or more to complete both laps.

i thought the contnous lapping of roads like the m25 was specifically forbinden in the rules of a ss1000, but it is an awful long time since i read the rules . Plus i couldn't think of a worse way of doing such a thing.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Of course an M25 SS1000 would be a specific and challenging ride with specific rules not a normal SS1000.

The challenge would be 1,000 miles of 24/7 congested motorway traffic with several of the busiest sections of road in Europe where mile after mile of bumper to bumper shenanigans are common place, how bad can that get?

Friday 29th July 2011 saw a reported 49 miles of virtually stationary traffic ;)