Mapping Conundrum

I hate to sound like a hater, but I don't like ride planning with Google Maps. In my quest to become one of you, a SS1K finisher, my buddy and I are planning a ride. I use Scenic.app, and my buddy is using Google. Ultimately, I know that we need to each provide documentation of our ride, and I want to know if it's a good strategy to just record my ride with Scenic, then export the GPX to Google to submit as my map. I already use Spotwalla/SWTracker, so I'm not worried about documenting my route. I am worried about a planned route that has to be altered on the fly to avoid traffic, red lights, that sort of thing.

On a side note, in a previous post I guesstimated that my odo was off by 5%. In an effort to get a more accurate estimate, I tracked across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway which has markers every 1/10 of a mile for its 24 mile length. I now know that my odo is under-reporting 7%.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I am worried about a planned route that has to be altered on the fly to avoid traffic, red lights, that sort of thing.
If your route is at least the 10% or so miles longer than the minimum required distance of the ride as the IBA suggests then you have nothing to worry about. Besides, detours are rarely, if ever, shorter than the desired route.

I use Base Camp (Free) to plan my route. It allows more route customizing than Scenic and exports .gpx files. I used to use Scenic but have replaced it with inRoute. It seems to work better on the fly. I also use a Garmin and Google Maps for their different strengths. Having three different navigation devices not only gives me a backup, it gives me the Midas option to follow the route of the majority.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
First off, your provided map, however that is submitted, is only a rough guide of your route to aid the verification teams. It proves nothing. Second, your Spotwalla/SWConnect link/file also is useful for the verification of your route, but also proves nothing.

Your DBRs prove where you rode to during your ride. Those receipts/pictures with your receipt and odo, prove where you rode. That info will be used to plot your route by the verification team to verify your mileage of the ride. They will enter the receipt locations into a mapping program, (they have several to use, including Google Maps), and if it doesn't show you rode the distance you are claiming, they will work very hard to figure out why. They want you to succeed! They are not trying to see you fail, but will work very hard to prove you succeeded with the information you give them. The easier you make that, the easier it is for the verification teams and the quicker your ride is verified.

Your odometer on the bike is a subjective reference. It does help the verification team see a linear progression of your receipts, and can point to discrepancies, if they exist. During your ride, your odometer is just another tool for your use. No one cares if it recorded over 1000 miles from your start point to your finish point. No one is using it to determine if you rode the distance you claimed to ride.

Plan your route in what ever format you enjoy/prefer using. :) But, know where your receipt locations are going to be before your ride. Put those locations into Google Maps, (even if you have to make multiple maps to cover your stops), then see what mileage that comes up with. If it's under the amount you are trying to do for the certificate ride, you need another receipt stop to show the route you actually will ride. Repeat as needed until the miles in Google Maps is over the number of miles you intended to ride for the certificate ride.

I hope that is helpful and you have a great, and successful, ride.

Last edited:

igneouss

Premier Member
as stated above: the IBA will take your Dated Business Receipts (DBRs) and use them to calculate the distance you rode. What you need to do is make sure you have valid DBRs for the beginning and ending points and at any 'corner'. Certification will be based on the shortest route that connects those DBRs. Plan your route using any tools you want. Just make sure you obtain the DBRs that show what you did.