My HD mods

Jim Otto

Premier Member
IBA Member
greetings all from Jim Otto in va. I hope to reconnect on here with many of the members who rode in the IBA events I ran for the REDWING 19 military charity. Anyway. I have the following mods I do on my HD. I planning a 2016 FLTRU now -
- Motolights
- rivco turn signal mirrors
- bright ass light tail light
- CB
- hartco seat
- stage 1
- head pipes without cat
- cee Bailey windshield
- XM
- spot tracker.

JAORE

Premier Member
Bill in 'Bama here.

I have a 2016 FLTRU. I'm a light weight in LDR (unfortunately not on the bathroom scales). I've done the following, so far:
Highway pegs for leg relief
H-D LED lights on the engine guards
Stock windshield (I had custom ones on my last 2 big Harleys, but the stock one on the 2016 fits me fine
Seat seems OK too but I carry an Air Hawk.
Changable backrest. Really helps me to change position on longer rides.
Tail lights stock too. I added LEDs on the trunk of my 2013 RG Ultra. But they are standard on the 2016. High and bright, I'm comfortable with them.
Extenders on the mirrors,my shoulders are cute but not the most helpful view.
My phone hookup included XM and I carry an iPod....

Always more in mind. Thought about the CB, but I rarely used the one I had on the 2013.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
greetings all from Jim Otto in va. I hope to reconnect on here with many of the members who rode in the IBA events I ran for the REDWING 19 military charity. Anyway. I have the following mods I do on my HD. I planning a 2016 FLTRU now -
- Motolights
- rivco turn signal mirrors
- bright ass light tail light
- CB
- hartco seat
- stage 1
- head pipes without cat
- cee Bailey windshield
- XM
- spot tracker.

Hi Jim, I rode one of the Redwing rides about ten? Years ago and enjoyed it. I missed the in-state monsoon one by chance. Thanks for putting those on.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've done the following to my 06 Sportster:

LED Aux lights
LED Headlight
Windshield
2 Zumo GPS units (660 and 665)
38 amp 3 phase charging system from Cycle Electric
Mustang seat with backrest
Air shocks off an Ultra in the rear
Progressive springs in the front
Replaced spoked wheels with cast (to get rid of tubes)
5 gallon tour tank
Highway pegs
Tour pak for storing my gear
Saddle bags

Greeting Y'all! I am riding a 2015 Road Glide
I have done the following.....
16" ape hangers
Windshield Upgrade
Highway Pegs
Tour pack for storage
Back rest (don't ever use it, but I have one)
Stereo Upgrade
LED Lights for Brakes and Tail Lights (bike and tour pack)

Planning on doing a running light upgrade and possibly doing new bars before my next IBR

pdbuzz

Premier Member
I'm riding a 2008 Road King Classic, with the stock engine/pipes.

- Changed out the wheels to cast, silver 9-spokes (and no more white walls, so it looks more 'standard' than 'classic')
- Progressive 944's over the stock air shocks
- Put lowers on.
- Taller and wider windshield
- Changed out all of my lights to LED's, with amber passing lights (always on).
- Custom Dynamics modules that turned my rear turn signals into running lights, and tie them into my brake light (3 flashes, pause, again, long pause, repeat).

I know the passing lights alone are getting me noticed much more (from the front) when I'm on the road. I actually have vehicles move over, when I'm trying to overtake them in the left lane. Something that didn't happen all that frequently with my previous rides! ;) I love that the LED's free up those watts for running my heated gear! My winter project is 16" apes with chrome handlebar gear and matte silver Brembo calipers to go with the wheels!

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Hi there,
My old girl started out as a stocko FLSTC, but night riding became a challage at times so I opted for the daymaker LED lights, later on I decided to lift the front end a little with 2 inch over stock, but still scraped my footboards everywhere, so I raised my boards an inch, I still scrape the exhaust occassionaly now. I got SE211 cams and a heavy breather and the 2 into 1 exhaust, and later put the signature seat on with the backrest, but the best thing I did to it so far is put the Fatboy rear wheel on the bike, running that 200mm rear tyre has made the ride a lot softer for my old butt. we often have a laugh because my old girl is constantly changing, hehehe not always for the better. I am trying to work on an extended range fuel system so I don't even have to stop to fuel up the main tank, thinking of at least a 10litre tank on the rear somewhere for my challeng next year.

2015 Roadglide Special

Legends Axeo Front suspension kit
Pro-Action 13” Street series rear shocks
Klockwerks 14” Sport Flare windshield
Klockwerks 10” kliphanger handlebars
H-D heated grips
Drag specialties Low profile seat w/ backrest
Accutronix Forward Controls
Clearwater Darla’s LED accessory lights
Custom Dynamics LED signals front & rear
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway pegs

Still under construction...........

Completed a nested SS1000/24 inside a BB1500/36 (July 8 & 9, 2018) on my stock '06 XLC Sportster 1200 Custom:
Standard seat
LED lighting
Standard shocks
V&H pipes
Stock 4.5 gal tank
Old sissy bar for the pack/duffle
Memphis Shades 19" windshield
Engine guard with highway pegs
That's just about it, lads. I know the meaning of saddle sore and bun burner. That was on a trip of 3,500 miles in 7 days. Of course, that's nothing compared to what a lot of guys do, I give you that. I did it after returning from a 5-week visit to Southeast Asia, so I used my jet lag and insomnia to my advantage.
Did the 1000/24 in 19.5 hours, and the 1500/36 in 33.5 hours. Made my final destination in 35:55 for a total of 1,597 miles. Awaiting certification.
Nothing like doing something challenging with all stock stuff. Just got back from 500 mi r/t to Louisville, KY. That was a relaxing ride, still on the stock '06 Sportster.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Completed a nested SS1000/24 inside a BB1500/36 (July 8 & 9, 2018) on my stock '06 XLC Sportster 1200 Custom:
Standard seat
LED lighting
Standard shocks
V&H pipes
Stock 4.5 gal tank
Old sissy bar for the pack/duffle
Memphis Shades 19" windshield
Engine guard with highway pegs
That's just about it, lads. I know the meaning of saddle sore and bun burner. That was on a trip of 3,500 miles in 7 days. Of course, that's nothing compared to what a lot of guys do, I give you that. I did it after returning from a 5-week visit to Southeast Asia, so I used my jet lag and insomnia to my advantage.
Did the 1000/24 in 19.5 hours, and the 1500/36 in 33.5 hours. Made my final destination in 35:55 for a total of 1,597 miles. Awaiting certification.
Nothing like doing something challenging with all stock stuff. Just got back from 500 mi r/t to Louisville, KY. That was a relaxing ride, still on the stock '06 Sportster.
Glad to see another Sporty rider!

To me, there's nothing like long distance on a Sportster. Have been a long time rider of English bikes (BSA, Norton, Triumph), and my first long distance ride in US was roundabout way from Orange County, CA, to SF Bay area of 500 miles on my stock 1969 BSA Royal Star 500 that I bought brand new out of the box when stationed in Germany in 1968 and 1969, and rode all over Germany with my buddy on his 1969 BSA 650. Shipped it to the US and rode that 500+ miles without a windshield, tank bag, or adequate all-weather gear in January 1970. Had to stop every 20 miles to warm up until I got to my brother's house and stood in front of the wall furnace for 45 minutes. I was 20 then, and on my way to Vietnam, where I served two tours of duty flying on combat missions. I wonder where I got my need for adrenalin on a bike?

Sportsters are like my old English bikes. I simply like the styling. A good pack, a tank bag, extra 5L of gas and a 1 pt gas bottle, and I'm ready to go. Before winterization, I hope to get in a couple more solo long distance rides just because it's a great feeling. Like I wrote before, no radio, no comms, no music. Just the road, the engine and the wind muffled by ear plugs.

Me and a buddy just finished this up over the weekend. I got the Iron Butt medallion and wanted to mount it on my bike. The medallion only has 2 mounting holes and they didn’t line up on the Cam cover. So we took a piece of aluminum and cut it and spun it on the lathe to fit. Then drilled, counter sunk and tapped the plate. Overall it came out nice and looks pretty clean!!!

5AFF9C05-9721-4106-A33A-CE93ACA9B051.jpeg A3D8BC04-722F-4671-8923-EA63BEF843BC.jpeg AB938E6D-54C3-449C-908A-FAAA019BA42C.jpeg 1486E32C-D105-48FC-AE96-36ED9BD43C55.jpeg

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Me and a buddy just finished this up over the weekend. I got the Iron Butt medallion and wanted to mount it on my bike. The medallion only has 2 mounting holes and they didn’t line up on the Cam cover. So we took a piece of aluminum and cut it and spun it on the lathe to fit. Then drilled, counter sunk and tapped the plate. Overall it came out nice and looks pretty clean!!!

View attachment 2675
It seems I've seen that somewhere before :)

`17 Ultra Limited
Harley Hammock seat
Highway bars/pegs
Adjustable drivers backrest
cup holder :)
But the best thing I did was simply remove the heel shifter. This opened up so much room on that floorboard it was incredible. Being able to slide my feet all the way to the rear did more to help with riding comfort than the highway pegs did.

2017 Ultra Limited Low
Progressive suspension 944's for the rear
Progressive suspension Monotube kit for the front
Kisin Headlight modulator
Custom Dynamic LED Probeam dynamic rings for the front turnsignals
Custom Dynamic LED Fillerz for the rear fender to bag gap
Custom Dynamic LED Magic Strobe brake light/turn signal flasher for the rear end
Custom Dynamic LED Windshield trim with running lights/turn signals
Custom Dynamic LED BCM Bagz saddlebag lights
Air Horn
Kuryaykn LED Taillight
RAM Mount for my 8" Samsung water resistant Tablet for mapping, weather and planning along with cell mount
Adjustable drivers backrest
Removed the heel shifter to give more room on the floorboards for ride adjustment
H-D heated grips
Baja Designs XL80 auxiliary lights with Skene controller with 4 separate settings to allow up to 19,000 lumen as well as the yellow covers for fog
Have a tank bag to hold snacks, chapstick, spare ear plugs, bottle of water and my Olympus TG-5 waterproof camera for pictures as needed
Alaskan sheep skin and bead rider seat covers depending on weather and ride
Reda Innovations spare fuel can RGC1001 for the saddlebag
And also a bunch of other small things for ride and distance comfort.

Please be careful with that Reda saddlebag fuel can.....

I had 1 and it started to split @ the seam!!! Don’t know if I was just unlucky but I read about similar instances where it burst in the saddle bag and leaked fuel over the hot exhaust and caught on fire!!! Lucky I found it before something very bad happened. I promptly threw it in the trash and I won’t buy another. Got a aluminum fuel bottle that I strap to a bag when I tour from now on

I'm new here; just finished a SS1000 ride last Saturday and sent in the documentation yesterday but here's what I've done to my 2018 Road Glide...
Police seat (shock absorber not air). Sooooo much better than stock seat, higher so knees are not above hips and absorbs expansion joints.
Rear crash bar/bag protectors
Ohlin 772 rear shocks. Improved handling you can feel right away.
LED light bar turn signals for saddle bags (Harley)
LED turn indicator replacements front and rear (Ciro 3d)
Love Jugs mini cooling fans (manual switch)
Softbrake clutch handle (move engagement in about 25% from terrible stock friction point)

Hello everyone! I’m kinda new and not as active on here as I’d like to be. Hope to change that as well as hope to meet as many of you as possible down the road.
I ride an 06 FXDBi (StreetBob) which was the goofball experimental transition bike in 2006 (last year of the 88” engine and Dyna models were the first to get the 6spd) and so finding aftermarket parts has always been a chore and required a lot of reading between the lines, phone calls and experimenting with Harley techs and sometimes some fabrication.
In 2015 the factory engine puked its guts up and ate the oiling system and the crank assembly twisted up nicely soooo....

Engine: 106” stroker engine. S&S crank/flywheels/rods/pistons/jugs, Larry’s Motorcycle and Machine custom one off heads, 11:1 compression, manual realeases, Mackie 598 cams, 58mm throttle body, HPi 58mm intake, D&D Borezilla 2-1 exhaust, down tube mount JAGG 10 row oil cooler, TTS Mastertune tuned on the dyno because I don’t believe in run of the mill downloadable plug and play maps

Driveline: Evolution Industries compensator eliminator crank sprocket, evolution industries billet clutch basket, Barnett Scorpion lock-up clutch, 300hp rated chain drive conversion.

Suspension: patriot genesis front suspension springs, rear: progressive 10’ shocks for drag racing, two brothers 14” 4way adjustable bozooka piggy backs for LDR/Rally/adventure riding

Two sets of wheels 1) 21’x3.5” fat spoke with an 18”x5.5 fat spoke for looking cool and going fast straight with avon cobra tires 2) stock dyna mags with high speed w rated continental TKC70 or avon trail riders (haven’t decided yet on the extra set of tires

Currently running a Harley quick detach windshield, hopping to add on a Russ Weirmont FXRT Dyna Touring Fairing, square dyna engine guard with 2 PIAA 5” LED driving lights and 2 PIAA 3.5” LED fog lights, LED bulb conversion in the stock 5.75 light housing. Stock bars, mid mount pegs and forward controls, Stock seat from an 08 Superglide (wore the old 06 one out) custom front and rear fenders, heavily modified dyna touring hard bag brackets made to accept 2013 full size touring bags. Retro style sissy bar modified to mount 2.5 gallon spun aluminum aux fuel tank

I call it the FrankenDynaPig because there’s very little left of the original bike outside of the frame and the transmission and some factory bolt ons like triple trees and fork tubes and I can set it up for strip or Offroad-ish riding. I could have bought my dream Road Glide by now if I’d stop throwing good money into my dinosaur dyna but i love it and I’m kind of a performance junky. At 38 I’m old enough to know better but I still think I’m too young to care... or an idiot.

Enough about all that. Hope your all well and getting amped up for the biggest and best months of riding season.