New GPS - Dezl 770 Replacement

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It was finally time to replace the Garmin Dezl 770 with something new as my Dezl 770 finally bit the dust in the Senior Butt Rally last October with James Owen. I had been using a Dezl 770 since 2015 so I had a good 7 +years of use and over 300,000 miles. I really liked the Dezl 770, and it worked great for me.

I started looking for a good replacement and a new Dezl 770 was not available except for at a high price. I bought a few GPS’s only to return them as they just did not really work for me. In December after a lot of research I bought a Garmin RV890, an 8 inch GPS. The physical dimensions is the same as the Dezl 770 and it weighs less than the Dezl 770. I also liked the RV890 because it has an audio out port and video in port. I could then connect the RV890 to my Mix-It to hear the navigation commands and hook up my thermal imaging camera like I did with the Dezl 770. The RV890 has the same operating system and features as the Zumo XT so it was easy to figure out how to use it. The routing engine is also the same as the Zumo XT.

The Garmin RV890 is NOT waterproof. I have done a few things to my GSA ( foam in the openings and fork tunnel ) and the RV890 to make it pretty water resistant and use a big baggie when in extreme weather.

I also found the RV890 screen is glove friendly which was a BIG bonus.

I removed the BMW NAV6 cradle and mounted the RV890 on the bar in front of the TFT screen so it would be in front of me and easy to see.

I have now ridden over 5,000 miles and a couple BBG’s and it has worked great. I will be using the RV890 on my ride to Panama next month.

Last edited:

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My concern is just a bit more than brightness. I run a Nav Five & an XT on my RT. For me, moving to a significantly larger screen - regardless the brightness level - is questionable.

As we spend more saddle time, we work our way through technology that suits our riding styles. For a lot of reasons, I've had to roll back time on my bikes - AKA, I'm not able to get the miles I want to any longer.

Perhaps if I'd had the time/miles you have - I may have seen the same progress in NAV displays you see. For me, a screen that large would be too much a distraction. Brightness is a consideration and I do understand as with all my previous GPS systems, brightness is adjustable.

Being much of a beginner, I'll just keep following you and the research in technology you make work for you, and where I see that which I can make work for me, I'll jump on it.

Keep sharing technology which you've been fortunate enough to test out. Though I generally speak only for myself, I suspect your posts are sought out by many that respect your opinions and research as much as I do.

Thanks Greg.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Really like that screen size, as the eyes get older having the option for larger text is nice. Too bad it isn't waterproof.
Yeah, if it were waterproof, this would be a no-brainer upgrade for me since I want to expirement with FLIR at some point regardless.. and a larger screen at the same price point? Pretty attractive.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
[QUOTE="kerrizor, post: 68876, member: 3970fhe same price point? Pretty attractive.[/QUOTE]

A plastic bag does wonders, I generally use freezer bags as they are a little heavier. been putting bags on now water proof GPS's and XM radio's going way back and haven't lost one yet. I did have to dry one out with rice once because I didn't put a bag on it. Mt DEZL goes really wonky if I don't get the bag on soon enough. To the point where I just put it on if there is rain in the forecast.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
..and does that model have a video output that feeds into the mount, or did you have to do some monkey business with adapters?

mlindstrom

Premier Member
I see they have an IOS app to interface with the system that I was thinking of trying to utilize. Any advice on how to manage water intrusion for the AI module?

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I see they have an IOS app to interface with the system that I was thinking of trying to utilize. Any advice on how to manage water intrusion for the AI module?
They still have a little work to do on the IOS app in my opinion. It is cumbersome to connect, it does not reconnect automatically, and it has several seconds delay.