Pelican top case

meagvg

Premier Member
I'm wondering if anyone has managed a clean install of a Pelican-type case on a GT luggage rack?
There are some very good on/off secure plate mount solutions, but they're mostly limited to the GS line.

Thanks very much.

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Although not a GT I too had a hard time finding a Pelican Case mount option for my RT. Try Back Road Equipment. They make bike specific trays that interlock any case you put his "pucks" on.

He didn't have anything that worked out perfect for me, but I went ahead and purchased an option he had for the GS/GSA. After receiving his product I took measurements of his cam/lock from the tray. From there I drew out on paper and took to a local shop who cut an aluminum tray perfect for my needs. I took into account the lock function idea of the original also. After they cut the tray I had it powder coated and it's now lasted me 3 years of service.

meagvg

Premier Member
Thank you for the reply, Ron. You've a real nice setup. I've called Backroads, and spoke to Steve who's a very good guy. He even sent me PDF drawings of his generic plate w/ dimensions. My plan was to mount his "puck style" system to the top of a Seals aux tank. Lincoln and I are still trying to sort out how to mount it on a K16. Looks like it's going to be a while.

So for now, I'm hoping for just a Pelican on the rear rack. But my local fab shops aren't real interested in such a small project. I was thinking of getting that generic plate/puck system. Then sit out in the garage and meditate for while to see if I can come up with a way to bolt the thing on.

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As far as mounting plate to Aux tank. I went with common, aluminum 1/4-20 blind boss or thread bung. 6 of them in total. Drilled into the tank and dropped the bungs in to be welded.

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I will add, I was skeptical of the Delrin Pucks. Thought there was no way they would hold up to the vibration, rubbing. They have definitely held up with no little wear. With the Pelican Air 1535 the extendable handle and wheels gives you the opportunity to mount Pucks without intruding on the case, rendering it no longer water tight. You can see In the last pic I had to leave 2 of the bolt out. It was the only place I found to spread the load. If you guys come up with something better or stronger I am all ears.