Planning 100CCC & BBG Trifecta

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dan Thaler and I are going to attempt a IBA 100CCC and a BBG Trifecta ( 3 BBG's back to back to back ) in the middle of the 100CCC this coming September 20, 2018. We will be starting in Jacksonville Beach riding to San Diego and back.

Are you interested? If so check out the webpage below with the ride information.

Here is a link to the planned ride.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-100ccc.html

Greg,

Very impressed by the details on the website. Hopefully you have few days of cushion for the start just in case a late season storm comes calling.

-Mark

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The only way we can do 3 BBG's back to back to back while riding a 100CCC is to not stop in San Diego when we finish our first 50CC. We will have to get our rest after the first BBG is completed at Van Horn, TX and then we continue to ride to San Diego get our time and date stamped receipt to end the first 50CC and start the second 50CC ( we will lose all of the time between the first and second 50CC's that we would have used for rest ) and then continue and ride to Las Cruses, NM to end the second BBG. We can rest there for a couple hours depending on how much time we have before the clock starts for the third BBG. We then start the third BBG at Las Cruses, NM which will end at Monticello, FL. We can get some rest at this stop which is the end of the third BBG depending on how much time we have left on the clock for the second 50CC. Either way we still have to ride another 167 miles back to Jacksonville Beach to end the second 50CC and the 100CCC before the 50 hours allotted for the second 50CC.

The only times you can rest is at the end of BBG's, not the normal places of Junction, TX and San Diego.

I have a pretty aggressive route for the first 50CC and do not plan much rest between the first and second BBG's at Van Horn.

Last edited:

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What to predict will be your overall completion time? I finished my 100CCC in 88 hours; but your plan sounds much more aggressive.
Scott, I am going to ride as long and hard as I can and see what happens. I do have timings for each stop and state borders ( I use state borders as a route waypoint to know if I am on track or not ). I write the times down on a list and put it in my tank bag and I will also write the state borders times on my windscreen as a way to keep me moving.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It looks like all of the hurricanes are moving away and noting in the pipeline Dan and I are getting ready to leave Wednesday for Jacksonville Beach to start our 100CCC and BBG Trifecta ride September 20, Thursday, at 3:00 AM. I think this will be the first time anyone attempts to ride a BBG Trifecta ( 3 BBG's in a row ) in the middle of a 100CCC ride. This ride will require us to not stop in San Diego when we finish the first 50CC of the 100CCC since we will be in the middle of the second BBG.

Here is a link to the ride information.
http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-100ccc.html

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Weather Update:

Should make the trip across the desert a bit more comfortable...
I had the same thoughts regarding the weather especially for out west where the temperatures can still be in the low 100's. I have been watching for a while now and I was pleased to see the moisture moving in as it keeps temperatures down, roads cooler and less traffic on the road do to the rain. I don't want or like all out heavy rain but a little wet weather is just fine.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The link I'm using in post #13 shows the current weather graphic - I think they typically change twice a day, but as conditions change, they'll update as needed.

A good perspective of overall ¡Baja Arizona! weather conditions.