RBLR 1000 2021 (or how to collect midgies)

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
With a start at 0520 Andy Burnside and I set off North clockwise weather was dry and cold for the looong drag north to Glasgow once over the Erskine bridge the traffic was heavy past Loch Lomond up to the Green Welly then I got through Glen Coe in the dry a first for me, traffic was increasing and made life difficult getting to Ft William where a coffee and sandwich eased the hunger pangs I could have ate a dead scabby horse:)
Heavy traffic to Inverness that thinned out on the A9/A99 a good ride to Wick in heavy cross winds that got worst on the way back to Inverness Where I had to top the fuel off, I changed my bike last September from a BMW 1200 GSA with a 300 mile range to a new Yamaha Tenere 700 with a 200 mile range so it won't make wick to Edinborough in one go.
By this time it was heated jacket time as we left dreghorn south on the A1 we caught up with a massif wide load which took up the entire South bound carriageway
at 3 MPH where it was feathering the clutch to prevent it stalling if they had accelerated to 5 MPH I could have burbled along at tick over with the clutch out they had to negotiate two roundabouts which was fascinating to watch after what seemed like a lifetime (about three miles really) this enormous rig turned right in a gap in the central reservation with the police blocking the North bound carriageway then we were free to get to Berwick on Tweed for a quick top up for the last 167 miles back to Squires with the sun just peeking over the horizon.
With a return at 0306 it was a good ride in the dry and cold, I might give South anti clock a go next year where the route crosses at the Dartford crossing I live about two miles away so I might nip home for a quick brew:D
A big well done to all entrants and admin staff.

Last edited:
I too got stuck behind the wide load, but a police car came up between both lanes (a bit like that moses geezer parting the waves) and I snuck in behind it. Followed another bike through on the right hand side but then had a police car pull up in front of me, only to wave me through. didn't see any lights behind me for many, many miles.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
With a start at 0520 Andy Burnside and I set off North clockwise weather was dry and cold for the looong drag north to Glasgow once over the Erskine bridge the traffic was heavy past Loch Lomond up to the Green Welly then I got through Glen Coe in the dry a first for me, traffic was increasing and made life difficult getting to Ft William where a coffee and sandwich eased the hunger pangs I could have ate a dead scabby horse:)
Heavy traffic to Inverness that thinned out on the A9/A99 a good ride to Wick in heavy cross winds that got worst on the way back to Inverness Where I had to top the fuel off, I changed my bike last September from a BMW 1200 GSA with a 300 mile range to a new Yamaha Tenere 700 with a 200 mile range so it won't make wick to Edinborough in one go.
By this time it was heated jacket time as we left dreghorn south on the A1 we caught up with a massif wide load which took up the entire South bound carriageway
at 3 MPH were it was feathering the clutch to prevent it stalling if they had accelerated to 5 MPH I could have burbled along at tick over with the clutch out they had to negotiate two roundabouts which was fascinating to watch after what seemed like a lifetime (about three miles really) this enormous rig turned right in a gap in the central reservation with the police blocking the North bound carriageway then we were free to get to Berwick on Tweed for a quick top up for the last 167 miles back to Squires with the sun just peeking over the horizon.
With a return at 0306 it was a good ride in the dry and cold, I might give South anti clock a go next year where the route crosses at the Dartford crossing I live about two miles away so I might nip home for a quick brew:D
A big well done to all entrants and admin staff.
Nice write-up John, now you've had some time on the T700, curious what your thoughts are having just done the RBLR?

It is still a top candidate for my next steed...cheers.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Last month i was camping in Cumbria 30 odd kg of camping gear 260 miles to Dent via A1 and North York moors heavy rain for about 70 miles,
there are rumours circulating that it's under powered with 73 BHP but at 40 kg lighter than my 1200 GS it pulls effortlessly good spread of power across the rev range as it's lighter than the GS it's much easier in traffic and moving around the garage, to cope with the weight i up rated the rear spring as the original is decidedly under sprung for carrying luggage and or pillion.
The next day i was riding the passes in the Lake district it's ideal being light with good low down torque.
average 65 MPG so far so good.
RBLR 1000 the fact there is no vibration made it much easier the bike is comfortable apart for a bit of pain across the shoulders might need a set of bar risers and a taller screen, with a range of 200 miles from a 16 ltr tank ie Dartford - Squires cafe near Leeds with a couple of ltr's spare is not bad
I might invest in a 5 ltr auxiliary tank from Camel ADV which will give 250-275 miles in total, fuel consumption varied between 58 - 72 MPG if you were making 'progress' on the motorway that accounted for the lower figure the upper figure was the trip up the A1 in heavy traffic.
As I have said before Kim get yourself a test ride.