RBLR1000

Dave Rose

I agree with Mark.Riding a 1000 mile day is never easy and you dont want to increase the difficulty unecessarily.
I would suggest putting it on the bike whennits parked up and taking it off a few miles up the road then replacing it as you return.

Your bike will have the ride stickers/poppies on and you will have your patches so I'm sure you'll stand out anyway
Thanks for that, I do already have the RBLR1000 sticker on my bike and it is festooned with RBL lions heads and poppies HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dave Rose

Thanks Mike and Phil, I'm looking forward to this and doing a practice run end of May to Ypres and back. Just got back from Bristol but that's only a 70 mile round trip so hardly counts.

Planning a 1,265 ride (maybe more if I deviate) in the States next year. Circumnavigating Lake Michigan but taking a couple of weeks over it so that won't count as an iron butt ride!

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice. I went over the Mackinaw Bridge at the top of the Michigan peninsula on the 2013 Iron Butt Rally
Detroit motor museum was a rally bonus and well worth a visit

Bob M

IBA Member
Hi, Just in case anyone`s interested, I`ve just come back from the north of Scotland and there is a 40mph stetch on the A9 from Kincraig to Dalraddy. Only about a six mile stretch but may affect some timings. It was very slow. Cheers. Bob.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the heads-up Bob, I'll try and check through all the various traffic websites leading up to that weekend so we can mention any blackspots like that at the riders briefing.

That whole stretch of A9 going north/south is now a real pain for bikers since they started infesting the road with average speed cameras. All it takes is an HGV doing 50 and a few cars behind who don't want to overtake in case they exceed the speed limit which then creates big tailbacks. Those going anti-clockwise might encounter the worst of it due to the time of day they'll be hitting that stretch. :(

Aitch

Travelled up to Falkirk last night. South West parts of the A720 the Edinburgh bypass were closed overnight for roadworks. Diversions are likely to add 15 to 20 mins if the same thing happens next week.

Was also on the M9 today. They were resurfacing the south bound carriageway around junction 10 at Stirling. South bound carriageway was completely closed and contra flow in operation on the northbound (i.e. Single lane each way). Be prepared to filter if you want to avoid major delays

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Was also on the M9 today. They were resurfacing the south bound carriageway around junction 10 at Stirling. South bound carriageway was completely closed and contra flow in operation on the northbound (i.e. Single lane each way). Be prepared to filter if you want to avoid major delays
Thanks Aitch, hopefully the Northern riders won't be going anywhere near the M9 unless they're on the clockwise route and want to avoid the A82 past Loch Lomond. I've gone that way once as there's only a few miles difference. :)

Aitch

Forgot to mention- there is a big show on at Ingilston this weekend - shouldn't affect clockwise North and hopefully anti-clockwise will be past before traffic builds up

Good luck everyone that's riding hope you all have a safe journey. I was booked to do the ride again this year but a short stay in hospital this week has stopped me taking part. Nothing serious just cant ride for a week.