Recommended Stretches/activity to do on gas stops?

Forgive me if this has been asked 100 times already, but I'm curious if anyone has a list of good stretches or physical routines to do on gas stops to help combat fatigue and keep the circulation in the lower body. I went on a ~600km ride the other day in preparation for my SS1600k and found that my lower body (legs) got quite uncomfortable due to lack of movement. This kinda freaked me out a bit, as the thought of going three times that distance in 24 hours being uncomfortable like that was not overly appealing.
I was thinking the usual hamstring/quad stretches would help, but also wondering if doing some jogging/sprinting might be of assistance as well (I'm a very active person so I'm used to moving a lot during a day).

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a routine that I do on the bike so I don't have to waste time off the bike at gas stops.
Squats, calf raises, hamstring and calf stretches, shoulder circles, pec deck flyes, arm curls, crunches, stretches for shoulders, wrists and fingers.

I also use rider, pillion and highway foot pegs in various combinations to stay loose.

Everything is on the bike riding down the road.

ibafran

Consult your local Pilates instructor. You will prolly want something for your specific bike. Cruiser riders will differ in stretching poses from sportbike riders. And 2 minutes of stretching at the half tank point will make an unbelievable difference over a very long day. And there will be a preferred window where stretching really helps. Some riders may prefer to stretch every 80 miles where others might like every 120miles. I don't bother stretching if my day's mileage is 350. If I plan to ride 600+ miles in a day, I will plan stretching along the way.

Some rides roll thru a lot of small towns. Standing on the pegs and stretching at speeds under 40mph works pretty good w/o killing fuel economy while rolling thru small towns works good. Especially if the towns are 20-40 miles apart for the whole day.

All of the above depends on what kind of riding shape the rider is in.

fran

WY88

Premier Member
I do pretty much the same activities as OX 34, I only get off the bike for gas receipts and usually 2 bio breaks, most often at a the on ramp side of a no services exit. In the west there are many!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Fran is on point.

I have also suggested seeking a Yoga instructor - or even easier, refer to Yogajournal.com
They have some recommended poses (stretches) that are targeted at specific areas. Just a guess that lower leg discomfort could be tied to the IT Band due to the lack of movement of the legs. My hip flexors and hamstrings also do not like long motorcycle rides. Occasionally standing up and shaking your money maker will help a lot. Plus it gives the folks behind you a great show.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
But seriously.......

There is a lot of writing on keeping hydrated and eating correctly during and before exercise / riding.
It is thought that a full nights sleep prior to an event can stave of fatigue by as much as 40 % to 60%. Its not just about stretching its also the fuel you put in yourself.
Its a big subject with a lot to take in.
Let us know how you get on and what works for you.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Why wait for a gas stop? Using the resistance of the air going by, I do my "Bikercises" going down the road. By sticking out your arm straight up with your palm facing forward and moving it in a 180° arc from top to bottom then rotating your arm 180° and working it as far back to the top as you can get (I can only get to about 90° with my palm facing aft) you can get a workout on pretty much every muscle from your wrist to your middle back. For the legs, a bit of wind resistance goes a long way as well, as does having multiple places to rest your feet. Standing now and then on the pegs will work out quite a few kinks as well. Spend your time at the gas station doing important things like getting fuel and use the time between stations for other tasks.

JAORE

Premier Member
Why wait for a gas stop? Using the resistance of the air going by, I do my "Bikercises" going down the road. By sticking out your arm straight up with your palm facing forward and moving it in a 180° arc from top to bottom then rotating your arm 180° and working it as far back to the top as you can get (I can only get to about 90° with my palm facing aft) you can get a workout on pretty much every muscle from your wrist to your middle back. For the legs, a bit of wind resistance goes a long way as well, as does having multiple places to rest your feet. Standing now and then on the pegs will work out quite a few kinks as well. Spend your time at the gas station doing important things like getting fuel and use the time between stations for other tasks.
Yep. I've been putting off surgery for a "minor" tear of my rotator cuff for a few years. As you escribe I put on cruise control and let the wind do some of my stretching.

I've not done a 1k (1600) yet, but on my little 500 mile I found I could shift up to my pillion and still have both feet on my pegs, reaching my clutch and accelerator... so every once in a while I'd slip my rear up to the pillion and lean forward onto my tank and that stretched out my lower back really well. Standing on the pegs and even foot out in front of me helped a little with leg stretching.

I've not done a 1k (1600) yet, but on my little 500 mile I found I could shift up to my pillion and still have both feet on my pegs, reaching my clutch and accelerator... so every once in a while I'd slip my rear up to the pillion and lean forward onto my tank and that stretched out my lower back really well. Standing on the pegs and even foot out in front of me helped a little with leg stretching.
Have done the pillion seat stretch quite often on the GL1200A. One advantage is for those jurisdictions that don't allow standing, you can rightly claim my butt was on the seat. ;)

Have done the pillion seat stretch quite often on the GL1200A. One advantage is for those jurisdictions that don't allow standing, you can rightly claim my butt was on the seat. ;)
Do many jurisdictions frown on standing up while riding? How can I find out what states have a problem with this? I've often wondered if/when I might get in trouble for standing up on the pegs simply to get some more air or to stretch the legs.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Do many jurisdictions frown on standing up while riding? How can I find out what states have a problem with this? I've often wondered if/when I might get in trouble for standing up on the pegs simply to get some more air or to stretch the legs.
I've never heard of this being illegal anywhere, but who knows what some Barney Fife will decide is "unsafe."

Frequent movement and stretching is important not only to reduce immediate pain and fatigue, but also to avoid long term health effects like deep vein thrombosis (DVT). I fly on airplanes a lot for my job (already over 100k this year), so DVT is always on my mind. Even in a relatively cramped airplane seat I make a point to move my legs around a lot and do some stretching exercises. You should be doing this on the bike frequently, way before you feel any soreness.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I've never heard of this being illegal anywhere, but who knows what some Barney Fife will decide is "unsafe."
I do not have any bona fide examples I can provide wthout a little gooooogling, but I have been told by a few folks of their experiences receiving citations for "stunt riding" simply because the officer saw them standing on the footpegs to get a little relief.

maxrider

Premier Member
Hello Cello

If you refer to this section:Sec. 545.416. RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE OR MOPED. (a) An operator of a motorcycle or moped shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle or moped.

Note that it does not indicate at all times, and any Judge or Arbitrator and even a Jury could be swayed to agree that this verbiage could be construed as having this ability to stand up, for various reasons would not violate the intention of the section quoted.

Hard to believe that folks who have been cited for temporarily not making contact with the seat would receive an ticket, even a simple TBD (trial by declaration) would result in this infraction being dismissed, for the safety reason(s) quoted by the defendant.

Providing the reasons were valid, cramps, etc, I.E not stunting etc

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Many areas have the law written that the motorcycle must be operated with you sitting on the seat. Texas, for example: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm#545.416

I don't know how many officers would ticket you for it... It's one of those laws that the average officer wouldn't even remember off the top of their head, and meant to be used for niche situations (preventing stunting on the public roads).
I think the chances for our purposes' are about the same as getting a speed citation at 2 over and I'll worry about it accordingly.

Hello Cello

If you refer to this section:Sec. 545.416. RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE OR MOPED. (a) An operator of a motorcycle or moped shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle or moped.

Note that it does not indicate at all times, and any Judge or Arbitrator and even a Jury could be swayed to agree that this verbiage could be construed as having this ability to stand up, for various reasons would not violate the intention of the section quoted.

Hard to believe that folks who have been cited for temporarily not making contact with the seat would receive an ticket, even a simple TBD (trial by declaration) would result in this infraction being dismissed, for the safety reason(s) quoted by the defendant.

Providing the reasons were valid, cramps, etc, I.E not stunting etc
Thank you for not taking the time to read the whole of my post, and for taking the time to write out some of the ways you could talk in court. It helped to flesh out the meaning inherent in my second paragraph. I’m sure you’ll have just as much fun expounding on the law about walking on the right side of the crosswalk.