Requirements for IN-CITY Ride

Speedywho

Premier Member
What would be the general requirements to get an IN-CITY ride approved, and who would I send my plan to for approval?

I'd submit my proposed route and use a SpotWalla during the ride. I'm not really sure what else to do. The ride would be in Phoenix, other members have completed this ride before so its possible.

Phoenix looks pretty straight forward. If the route has already been used and the certificate issued you should be good. Just make sure that you have the actual route.

It is best to send your route in for approval. Google maps and some other are not very accurate when showing where the city lines are.

Spot wall is required along with the normal Start/End DBR and gas receipts and best to imbed the photo of those showing you ODO into Spotwalla.

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
Speedy,

Unless things have changed since I did my Lubbock in-city ride you will also need vetted observers at strategic spots along the route. Find out from others where these were posted.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What Bill said. However, bear in mind that those vetted observers may think about the ride, more than the hide to observe, and think you have such a great idea, they'll want to ride with you. Unfortunately, that won't work out too well...

Find some old fart observer with aches and pains that make it hard to ride that far these days and you're golden...;)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And by "vetted observers" it's generally understood to mean IBR finishers. This can make it challenging if you don't already know several. Finding a date when they all have time to observe your ride can add a dimension to the challenge.

Long ago I planned and set up a Portland, OR In City SS1k, got approval and was set to ride it. However, by the time the date came and people got together I would have had to witness myself to have enough witnesses and there would have only been one, maybe two riders. This was prior to Spot/Spotwalla though. In the end I canceled the official ride and there was an RTE. I ended up testing the route successfully, but I never submitted it since it lacked the required witnesses.

Good luck and have fun.

Speedywho

Premier Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. I don't know enough people in the IBA community to locate the correct people at this time. I'll plan a different ride in the mean time. There's a guy that did this is ride recently that lives one town over from me but I've never met him. Maybe some day our paths with cross.

yon

Premier Member
Might be a good idea to use a trip recorder that updates more frequently than Spotwalla, along with using Spotwalla. Five minutes is a long time in the more narrow confines of a city and faster updates would more accurately depict your route.

Personally, I record my trips using the built-in trip recorder in OsmAnd+ and the trip recorder in Rever, along with using Spotwalla. Rever is mainly so I can share the trip with friends and family, so they can see where I am in real time, but I still submit the recording, along with all my other data, when doing a ride submission.

This might be able to replace a vetted observer, but that I can't answer.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to use a trip recorder that updates more frequently than Spotwalla, along with using Spotwalla. Five minutes is a long time in the more narrow confines of a city and faster updates would more accurately depict your route.
I run the Spot and Bubbler GPS together. Gives a little bit of a more accurate track. Another things to do with Bubbler is to hit the [Update Now] button forcing a recorded pin. Especially at the corners.