roadside asstance- who do you use?

spanner

so it has come to my mind that we do some pretty big distances and we see a lot of hazards such as roos etc and we get fuel from sometimes dodgy places out of poor planning or just necessity.

when the poo hits the fan and the beastie you are riding does not want to start or continue to move what do you do?

do you have a really good roadside assistance plan? if you do who do you use?

NRMA?
RACQ?
NSW motor cycle alliance?
RACV?

As a person of limited financial means it really is important that with the older bike I have where things just may not hold together that I have a really good plan for help.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm a Gold NRMA member with their 'top' cover.

I think that's the membership that Wombattle used with the Little Mango. After blowing up the engine they drove him and the bike 500km home to Newcastle in the truck.

Myself I've only used them a couple of times (Silver in those days). Once when I hit a roo and the BMW failed to proceed. Ride on a truck back to Coonabarabran. My ute home the next day.

The other time was on one long, long, tedious day when I scored a flat tyre out near Lithgow on my Speed Triple. Michelin's failed experiment they called "Pilot Pure" with gossamer-like rubber trying to hold the air in the tyre. I think they used Kramer's deli-slicer to shave weight and they succeeded. I called the NRMA and told them I had a flat on a motorcycle. A van turned up with no equipment to fix a flat on a motorcycle. No equipment to fix a flat on a car either, if I had been in a car. Not even an air compressor. I squirted a can of that inflating goo into the thing and rode on, holding up my three companions with my regular air top ups at any servo we passed.

It went flat again of course. This time near Sandy Hollow in the dark, black, dark. Another NRMA guy turned up without any repair gear, but at least he had air in a hose. It finally refused to take any more goo so I limped it to a hotel in Muswellbrook.

TigerBill rode on home to Newcastle and came back with the ute the next day.

I upgraded to the top level cover after that, but haven't needed any breakdown assistance since (including 150,000km or so of LD riding)

Last edited:

Vlad

Premier Member
I use NRMA for the wing ,it's a gold membership. For the GSA I use BMW road side assist which I think at this point is backed up by Allianz. I've had varying experiences with both depending on location and time of day. Roadside assist couldn't get me a tow truck in silverwater when I got cleaned up on the gsa which is why I went to NRMA for the wing. They did however manage to get all the parts I needed to fix a k1100 to Phillip Island on race day, for which I was suitablely impressed. I think NRMA probably has the better cover. I don't go anywhere without tyre inflation gear and a glue less puncture repair kit.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
I have an RACV Gold Membership, with Top Cover.
This covers ME, in ANY vehicle I am driving/riding.
Have had a pick up of the bike with a flat tyre in Melbourne and taken home to Geelong where I fixed the flat.
(One of the few times I've been without the repair kit. Never go anywhere without it now.)

This RACV cover also covers me for accommodation if I break down far away from home.
In fact I just received a cheque reimbursement for accommodation at Goondiwindi last month
when I needed some brake repairs and the bike shop needed the bike overnight.

Good cover is worth it just for the peace of mind it gives!

Knave

Premier Member
IBA Member
I have the top NRMA cover. Have only used it twice for battery issues. Once for a dead cell near home and the other at 5:30AM at Goolgowi. With the first one they were there in 15 minutes and less than an hour at Goolgowi. They got me going both times. I think that it is money well spent. However, I will be very happy if I never have to use their services again.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
so it has come to my mind that we do some pretty big distances and we see a lot of hazards such as roos etc and we get fuel from sometimes dodgy places out of poor planning or just necessity.

when the poo hits the fan and the beastie you are riding does not want to start or continue to move what do you do?

do you have a really good roadside assistance plan? if you do who do you use?

NRMA?
RACQ?
NSW motor cycle alliance?
RACV?

As a person of limited financial means it really is important that with the older bike I have where things just may not hold together that I have a really good plan for help.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

This was a topic I thought of mentioning at the muster. Get it going or get it home...either way help in the boonies to get your crate home.
My thought was a contact list for our members and their partners to go to to get off the black top and some place safe or get our sledds home or even closer to home.

You know. guys and galls with a trailer how can just go get the job done if we cant. I know lots of coasties have a trailer for the moving of bikes but what about further afield?

Its a simple fact of life. Lots of us who play in this game are cash strapped and probably cant evry hope to pay for TOP cover. Maybe if their like me the budget cant allow for stuff-ups...but it can manage the cost of a ride or two.

SO can I propose an in house rescue of hardware index of help?

Kimmie

NRMA Premium Roadside Assistance.

Have used it once for a flat tyre on the DR650 at Mac Pass. Towed to the closest dealership which happened to be Fairymeadow (near Wollongong).
Is due for renewal shortly though, so might check out the TOP Cover now that I;m a Gold member.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I like that Franz. We do need to talk.

Right now I'm with Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart... so talking logic has nothing over just watching beautiful music come forth.

Ed.

Premier Member
I like that Franz. We do need to talk.

Right now I'm with Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart... so talking logic has nothing over just watching beautiful music come forth.
Cracker of an album that.

Like Frans, I self insure. I'm sure there will come a point that something happens that I can't deal with on the side of the road., but when it does I'll deal with it.

spanner

unfortunately I am not mechanically minded and when I am out on the road my ability to clearly think and act when faced with mechanical issues are skills which are not what I am renown for.

my nick name is Spanner NOT for my skills of mechanical note but my inability to distinguish between a shifter and and a spanner at a crucial time ................ long story.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hammers man You need a good few hammers cos that were the action is. Shifters will do in a pinch but spanners? Not good hammers.

Beth rocks. have a look at Laura Cox. Great girl with tallent

John negus

Hi all..I agree with Franz..i carry a good tool roll...extra good tyre repair kit..latest lithium power pack and electric pump back up. In the boonies I have had not much joy with NRMA or jeep assist. My plan is if all has gone to the dogs is to secure my ride and get myself home and come back with my trailer. Also prepare the bike as best you can before the ride. It's worked for me so far BUT I would register as a retriever for any ironbutters in my area who are in distress ( 150km from my location)..Jn

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
NRMA for the GSA (and the Gs1150)and BMW Roadside assist for the K1600GT (it came with it)

NRMA have always been good for me (car and bikes) , no comment on the BMW Roadside Assistance -,untested and long may that continue.

Biggles

Premier Member
RACQ Ultra Care. $185 pa:
Any vehicle I'm using:
  • 24 hour roadside assistance attendance up to 120km.
  • Free towing up to 60km in any direction, or 120km to the attending contractor’s premises or intermediate location en route.
  • Fuel if you accidentally run out, up to $60 pa.
  • Emergency locksmith assistance up to $165 pa.
  • Taxi fare after towing up to $55 pa.
  • Rental vehicle after towing for 1 day up to $220 pa.
  • The choice of either accommodation, vehicle recovery, car hire or alternative transport for you and your passengers if you breakdown more than 100km from home and RACQ estimates repairs will take longer than 24 hours.